Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Damon Huard interviews John Donovan

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Mad_Son said:

What would be one's motivation to watch this video?

Probably.

Not a dynamic personality based on the video.

Minimal football stuff. I think focusing on concepts that can be moved in space to keep plays simple but formations dynamic is good.

I am concerned that after spending four years as assistant to the running backs coach of an NFL team he doesn't think there is room to innovate in the running game.

I am glad he thinks you do need to be able to run the ball and pick up tough yards.

No shit. 49ers? Hello?

Still, LIPO. I'm not gonna get too bent about this shitty interview.
    McVeigh is closer to innovative than Shannahan but still those guys aren't innovating anything, they are just innovative for the NFL.
    Innovative? He hasn’t done shit since 1995.

Time gets a bad rap.

OKC deserves another bombing.

#ThunderUp
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,104 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2020

all the signs are showing that Lake is going to be a colossal bust

Saying this before he's had one practice is nutty.
    Once upon a time I was loudly derided on Dawgman for suggesting Sark was a terrible hire before he had a practice.
    Was Sark a terrible hire? I submit that he was not.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,924 Swaye's Wigwam

Once upon a time I was loudly derided on Dawgman for suggesting Sark was a terrible hire before he had a practice.
    I submit that he was an awful hire without need if hindsight. He wasnt even an accomplished OC at the time he was hired. He had nothing, absolutely nothing, on his resume indicating qualification for any head coach job, let alone one at a traditional power program.

He turned out a little bit better than I expected when he was announced, but that's not saying much.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

I’m kind of in the camp that 0-12 and Tyrone made it pretty nearly impossible to hire a proven coach. Sark was a bust, but the idea of hiring him wasn’t bad.
    edited May 2020
    chuck said:

I submit that he was an awful hire without need if hindsight. He wasnt even an accomplished OC at the time he was hired. He had nothing, absolutely nothing, on his resume indicating qualification for any head coach job, let alone one at a traditional power program.

He turned out a little bit better than I expected when he was announced, but that's not saying much.
    We had just come off an 0-12 season and were one of the worst programs in the universe, not just on Earth. No, Seven-Win Sark did not win championships, but he certainly recruited pretty well, bringing talent into the program that helped us to a playoff berth. He was a decent stepping stone. A world-beater, he was not, but a terrible hire he was not either. He had more top 10 wins than Pete.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Are you joking?

Sark did less with more. Think about that. He had peak USC talent and Pete Carol’s defenses as OC and they still managed to lose games they had no business losing. And it was always a no show on offense that did it. Cost USC multiple national championship bids.

The whole “QB guru” thing was always bullshit too. Anyone could have coached the slew of talent at USC and been a success. Does a guru turn Jake Locker into a pocket passer instead of tailoring the offense around his skill set? Does a guru let Keith Price’s knees get shattered for his own marginal career gains (what a cool Alamo Bowl loss, man!). Does a guru recruit a strong of bust QBs?

Sark was allegedly a recruiting master too. But even a non TBSer like me can look at his classes and see how top heavy they were with multiple 4* QBs and WRs but next to nothing in the trenches. Boring ass Pete was a better recruiter than Sark. With the exception of a handful of big names like Shaq, all his best guys were local talent that UW gets 99% of the time anyways.

Zero HC experience. Look at how Sark managed his staff. He was a glorified OC that took no interest in the other 2 phases of the game.

Personality ...

Where to even begin...Sark has the personality of a frat boy that works at a car dealership and thinks he’s a big timer. He and Johnny Nansen are two of the biggest pieces of shit I’ve ever met in my life.

Fuck you for making me THINK and CARE about this again. Fuck Sark. He was a shit hire. He was a shit coach. He was a shit person. The results speak for themselves .

I need a drink...
    Yeah, but how do you feel about Sark?
    Ok. That made me laugh.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,924 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2020

chuck said:

We had just come off an 0-12 season and were one of the worst programs in the universe, not just on Earth. No, Seven-Win Sark did not win championships, but he certainly recruited pretty well, bringing talent into the program that helped us to a playoff berth. He was a decent stepping stone. A world-beater, he was not, but a terrible hire he was not either. He had more top 10 wins than Pete.
    He wasnt qualified. There are dozens of established head coaches out there at lower tier schools who would have dropped their meager salaries in a heartbeat to come to UW and try their hand at restoring a program that still had resources and prestige in spite of the mismanagement.
    edited May 2020
    chuck said:

Mad_Son said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

He wasnt qualified. There are dozens of established head coaches out there at lower tier schools who would have dropped their meager salaries in a heartbeat to come to UW and try their hand at restoring a program that still had resources and prestige in spite of the mismanagement.
    Some would have crawled on hands and knees across broken glass all the way from Fresno.
    Pat Hill would have slid his bare ass and taint down 500 miles of sidewalk covered in shattered glass just to inform UW that he received their request for an interview and was considering it.
    I agree. Lots of woulda coulda shouldas in hindsight. I didnt love Sark by any means. I'm just saying that on the scale from terrible hire to Saban, he was squarely in the 47th percentile, in hindsight. Would we have recruited like we did with a lesser named coach? With the bare cupboard we had, I could see a lot of 4-win Bobs and 5-win Jeffs out there. We got 7-win Steve. Not terrible, not great, but at least he was able to bring in some talent, go to some bowl games (I realize that's not saying much, but Ty), and win some big games.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

chuck said:

Mad_Son said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Some would have crawled on hands and knees across broken glass all the way from Fresno.
    Pat Hill would have slid his bare ass and taint down 500 miles of sidewalk covered in shattered glass just to inform UW that he received their request for an interview and was considering it.
    I agree. Lots of woulda coulda shouldas in hindsight. I didnt love Sark by any means. I'm just saying that on the scale from terrible hire to Saban, he was squarely in the 47th percentile, in hindsight. Would we have recruited like we did with a lesser named coach? With the bare cupboard we had, I could see a lot of 4-win Bobs and 5-win Jeffs out there. We got 7-win Steve. Not terrible, not great, but at least he was able to bring in some talent, go to some bowl games (I realize that's not saying much, but Ty), and win some big games.
    Lots out here wanted us to make Nick Saban say no and he did.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,331 Swaye's Wigwam
    We really need 2020 to be cancelled
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    HuskyJW said:

We really need 2020 to be cancelled

You're in luck!
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,310 Founders Club

I’m kind of in the camp that 0-12 and Tyrone made it pretty nearly impossible to hire a proven coach. Sark was a bust, but the idea of hiring him wasn’t bad.
    DJ said after the hire he made some calls and within 48 hours heard about the substance abuse issues, immaturity and problems controlling his emotions. It wasn't understood why Emmert and Woodward didn't do their due diligence.

The one thing that could be said on behalf of your argument is that Woodward attempted to contact Petersen but Pete wouldn't return his calls.

But I would counter that by saying that Woody was an upper campus bureaucrat who had been recently installed as AD and had no credibility.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    edited May 2020

DJ said after the hire he made some calls and within 48 hours heard about the substance abuse issues, immaturity and problems controlling his emotions. It wasn't understood why Emmert and Woodward didn't do their due diligence.

The one thing that could be said on behalf of your argument is that Woodward attempted to contact Petersen but Pete wouldn't return his calls.

But I would counter that by saying that Woody was an upper campus bureaucrat who had been recently installed as AD and had no credibility.
    In Woody's defense, Mora said no. Saban wished us luck. Leach pined for the job, lingered several days in Seattle and allegedly showed up for the interview wearing Flip Flops. Pat Hill, well, yeah he said he would drag his naked bag through glass for the job.

Pinkel had no interest. Then Sark showed up in a crisp, freshly pressed suit with notebooks, under his arm, full of LA recruits and coaches he had "relationships" with. I suppose we could have hired Dan Hawkins. Ed O. in retrospect, if he had interest might have been worth a call.

I'm not falling for the old "nobody would take the job" line, but sort of.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,310 Founders Club
    Baseman said:

In Woody's defense, Mora said no. Saban wished us luck. Leach pined for the job, lingered several days in Seattle and allegedly showed up for the interview wearing Flip Flops. Pat Hill, well, yeah he said he would drag his naked bag through glass for the job.

Pinkel had no interest. Then Sark showed up in a crisp, freshly pressed suit with notebooks, under his arm, full of LA recruits and coaches he had "relationships" with. I suppose we could have hired Dan Hawkins. Ed O. in retrospect, if he had interest might have been worth a call.

I'm not falling for the old "nobody would take the job" line, but sort of.
    I hear you, but would every one of those guys had said no if Mike Lude (or someone credible) was seeking them out? If I was a coach, I wouldn't have taken Woody seriously.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851

He's your last coach in some time to get hired away.

So I submit that he's been your best hire this century.

CHANGE MY MIND