Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Eason went undrafted in first round of NFL Draft

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Is anything said about Eason actually wrong though?

There is a big difference between bad mouthing and speaking the truth.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,110
    edited April 2020
    Tequilla said:

Yeah, this place should be equal opportunity for calling out people when they suck. I dont get why 8-5, lazy-ass, entitled, emotionless Eason is sacred cow for some people.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited April 2020
    Baseman said:

Gladstone said:

god smite me down for defending browning, but at least browning gave a shit

Browning had the same receivers minus Hunter Bryant and nobody made any excuses for him. But he had Gaskin,

Production is production. Winning and playing well makes a player good. Not their star ranking or raw talent. Eason disappointed are UW. He never showed himself to be a top notch college QB.
    He played two seasons. In a vacuum he should have come back. He was by far our best option last year and would have been this year. In year six, Jake Haener shouldn't be in a position to win the starting job. Saban, Swinney, and Ohio State aren't afraid to change QBs. They also don't offer and roster Jake Haener or Bridge-Gadd

We don't play the best players. Our new head coach chose an assistant RB to lead an already questionable offense than decided motherfucking Eason to scouts was a good idea. Brilliant. Give the kids more reasons to go elsewhere. It's already playing out and Jimmy just made it worse.
    We already have a 5 star QB for this year. We signed three really good WR’s last year. Your love for Eason isn’t the reality. We already posted all season (and in the previous seasons) that the offense sucked. It has little to nothing to do with recruiting.

Saban, Swinney, and all coaches have a tough time signing big time QB’s after signing one that is already a starter. Notice that Alabama signed a five star this year? You think that maybe and to do with Tua leaving or even if he returned, only sitting for one year? I know Clemson did a little better with QB’s but no too guy was coming after Lawrence. Oklahoma has had three straight transfer QB’s.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,121 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2020

Dan Marino dropped on character concerns

Not 5 rounds but still

Marino's drop - to the bottom of the first round - was two things: (1) rumor he liked to do blow; and (2), my theory, a bad knee.

He was so fucking good his rookie year - actually better than all the QBs take before him (including Elway) - that it was like immediately across the League "we fucked up." '

By far my favorite QB of all tim.
    Awesome in Ace Ventura, Pet Detective.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfVB2S5-oOQ
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    edited April 2020
    Tequilla said:

Who says he's lazy? Pete? Jimmy (yes) Either way, why denigrate your player?

Don't you guys get the bigger picture? Word travels. Look at recruiting. Opposing coaches smell blood in the water. The sharks are circling. The caliber of players actively considering us the past few years are now looking elsewhere. It's a major shit show.

Best in state class of our lifetime and excluding legacy Sam, we're on the outside looking in. When the Kennedy WRs commit, you'll know the wheels have come off.

Jimmy's changed, man, and not for the good.
  • KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,053
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Don't you guys get the bigger picture? Word travels. Look at recruiting. Opposing coaches smell blood in the water. The sharks are circling. The caliber of players actively considering us the past few years are now looking elsewhere. It's a major shit show.

Best in state class of our lifetime and excluding legacy Sam, we're on the outside looking in. When the Kennedy WRs commit, you'll know the wheels have come off.

When did he say this? First I have heard of this.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Tequilla said:

A multi page tread after the EWU game suggests people here don't like the truth.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Elaborate plz
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter

Not 5 rounds but still

Marino's drop - to the bottom of the first round - was two things: (1) rumor he liked to do blow; and (2), my theory, a bad knee.

He was so fucking good his rookie year - actually better than all the QBs take before him (including Elway) - that it was like immediately across the League "we fucked up." '

Every team in the NFL passed on Dan Marino, except one.

Every team in the NFL passed on Darrell Green.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,717
    The Eason is lazy meme has been around for a while, didn't start or end with Jimmy. I don't think Jimmy controlled the NFL interviews.

Seems plausible he bad-mouthed Eason, but consider that he talked up Eason big-time to the Athletic a couple years ago, "hushed tones" of reverence.

We're in a shit-storm right now and UW stock is falling. Jimmy needs wins in a big way this season.
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

I don't know what exactly was said ... I suspect you have better insight than I do. Perfectly fine to take it offline if that works better.

My point simply is that if the feedback provided was that he struggled against pressure, was inconsistent, and that inconsistency likely a byproduct of not being a great practice player ... how much of that is necessarily untrue?

Now, if we're talking about taking personal shots at someone that isn't based on facts or reality and is more of being jilted about leaving early and ones on selfish interests that's a different story.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist right now to see that there are some big time issues in recruiting. Not being able to have spring drills isn't helping in terms of getting kids on campus and allowing them to see/compare what things look like under Lake. It's low hanging fruit for opposing coaches to throw pitches that Lake can't counter right now. It is what it is.

That being said, there's a huge issue with the balance of our assistant coaches right now on the recruiting trail ... particularly when you are setting recruiting targets to go after all the big boys of college football:

Kwiatkowski is one of the best DCs in college football and has improved as a recruiter but will never be confused as an ace recruiter.

Donovan seems to have done well inside of his domain ... but to say it's concerning when you hear a guy say that he really doesn't have any recruiting connections on the west coast and suggesting the part of pro football he really enjoyed was not having to recruit ... yikes.

Malloe/Huff are probably the best recruiters on staff and have shown the ability to be able to recruit well at the upper end of the P12. At this point, not sure they are anything but significant dogs against any of the major players in CFB.

Gregory/Boner has proven to be at best mid-tier P12 coaches and in no way shape or form capable of recruiting top tier players. They should have been bought out and replaced with ace recruiters. The fact that we went cheap is going to likely cost the program significantly in the next couple of years.

Adams may be a good positional coach (jury still out), but he's getting blown out on Egbuka and right now is likely not the favorite for Franklin. That'd be a devastating year.

Cato is the definition of green and thrown in the deep end ... missing shouldn't be considered surprising

DB coaches are supposed to be some of your better recruiters ... the jury is definitely out here on both Harris/Brown.

Best case, you have 2 upper tier recruiters on staff. What results are you expecting? It's like expecting to have strong sales when you underpay and put green reps out there against well compensated seasoned professionals.
    Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

I don't know what exactly was said ... I suspect you have better insight than I do. Perfectly fine to take it offline if that works better.

My point simply is that if the feedback provided was that he struggled against pressure, was inconsistent, and that inconsistency likely a byproduct of not being a great practice player ... how much of that is necessarily untrue?

Now, if we're talking about taking personal shots at someone that isn't based on facts or reality and is more of being jilted about leaving early and ones on selfish interests that's a different story.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist right now to see that there are some big time issues in recruiting. Not being able to have spring drills isn't helping in terms of getting kids on campus and allowing them to see/compare what things look like under Lake. It's low hanging fruit for opposing coaches to throw pitches that Lake can't counter right now. It is what it is.

That being said, there's a huge issue with the balance of our assistant coaches right now on the recruiting trail ... particularly when you are setting recruiting targets to go after all the big boys of college football:

Kwiatkowski is one of the best DCs in college football and has improved as a recruiter but will never be confused as an ace recruiter.

Donovan seems to have done well inside of his domain ... but to say it's concerning when you hear a guy say that he really doesn't have any recruiting connections on the west coast and suggesting the part of pro football he really enjoyed was not having to recruit ... yikes.

Malloe/Huff are probably the best recruiters on staff and have shown the ability to be able to recruit well at the upper end of the P12. At this point, not sure they are anything but significant dogs against any of the major players in CFB.

Gregory/Boner has proven to be at best mid-tier P12 coaches and in no way shape or form capable of recruiting top tier players. They should have been bought out and replaced with ace recruiters. The fact that we went cheap is going to likely cost the program significantly in the next couple of years.

Adams may be a good positional coach (jury still out), but he's getting blown out on Egbuka and right now is likely not the favorite for Franklin. That'd be a devastating year.

Cato is the definition of green and thrown in the deep end ... missing shouldn't be considered surprising

DB coaches are supposed to be some of your better recruiters ... the jury is definitely out here on both Harris/Brown.

Best case, you have 2 upper tier recruiters on staff. What results are you expecting? It's like expecting to have strong sales when you underpay and put green reps out there against well compensated seasoned professionals.
    It comes down to better messaging. Accentuate everything positive about Eason. Don't compare him with Jake Haener or Browning. Scouts don't care about film rats.

Privately, Eason is a good dude but will never be confused with Tui or Billy Joe.

What should the staff say? Simply put, Eason is a good teammate with big upside. He started as FR in the SEC had to sit a year and learn a new system. He was handicapped by our offense, that's why we made a change. Enough said.

Promote your players. The higher Eason goes, the better for the program. We develop. We advocate for our players.

Word travels.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club
    whlinder said:

Not 5 rounds but still

Miami had just lost the Super Bowl to your Skins with a journeyman quarterback

Shula couldn't believe Marino was there

whlinder said:

Not 5 rounds but still

Marino liked the white. Allegedly. See what I did there?
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

It comes down to better messaging. Accentuate everything positive about Eason. Don't compare him with Jake Haener or Browning. Scouts don't care about film rats.

Privately, Eason is a good dude but will never be confused with Tui or Billy Joe.

What should the staff say? Simply put, Eason is a good teammate with big upside. He started as FR in the SEC had to sit a year and learn a new system. He was handicapped by our offense, that's why we made a change. Enough said.

Promote your players. The higher Eason goes, the better for the program. We develop. We advocate for our players.

Word travels.
    Totally get it ... it’s why what was said is so important to nail down

I’d expect that coaches were asked to talk about Eason’s strengths and weaknesses

I’d have said that Eason has some generational arm talent that allows him to make throws that many others can’t ... I’d talk about the work he did during the transfer year to improve his craft and be a good teammate

I’d also say that a lot of his areas to improve (ie against pressure and decision making) are reflective of a kid that hadn’t played in 2 years and needs more reps to iron some of that out.

I don’t think any of that is particularly damaging ... also important for coaches to be honest for not only the reasons you mentioned but also in terms of building trust w NFL evaluators for future players
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Word travels.
    Blaming UW coaches for Eason's fall in the draft is dumb as fuck...

No coach wants to work with an unmotivated dumb fuck at QB... especially one who isnt all that great... Scouts and GMs sniff that shit out really fast, especially in a QB turning in rather average performances.

Eason's play this year did not match up with what he really should have been able to do, its clear there was something weird going on and a lot was related to his mental preparation. His reportedly shitty interviews probably just confirmed their suspicion for many of them.

If Eason was actually a winner the Jay Cutler comparisons would fit better, except Eason cant smoke a cig on the sideline and then walk onto the field and win the game in the 4th quarter.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,958
    Baseman said:

whlinder said:

Not 5 rounds but still

I'm pretty fucking spot on with all of my opinions and observations, except that I have two pretty bad blind spots: the Miami Hurricanes, and Dan Marino.

I don't care if you go heels; it's 7-11 tim if you bad mouth Dan the Man again.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,485 Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

Word travels.
    Blaming UW coaches for Eason's fall in the draft is dumb as fuck...

No coach wants to work with an unmotivated dumb fuck at QB... especially one who isnt all that great... Scouts and GMs sniff that shit out really fast, especially in a QB turning in rather average performances.

Eason's play this year did not match up with what he really should have been able to do, its clear there was something weird going on and a lot was related to his mental preparation. His reportedly shitty interviews probably just confirmed their suspicion for many of them.

If Eason was actually a winner the Jay Cutler comparisons would fit better, except Eason cant smoke a cig on the sideline and then walk onto the field and win the game in the 4th quarter.
    Neither could Cutler tbh

whlinder said:

Not 5 rounds but still

Baseman said:

whlinder said:

Not 5 rounds but still

I'm pretty fucking spot on with all of my opinions and observations, except that I have two pretty bad blind spots: the Miami Hurricanes, and Dan Marino.

I don't care if you go heels; it's 7-11 tim if you bad mouth Dan the Man again.
    Easy Francis. Dan's words, not mine. Komo 4. Have a watch.