Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How did Jim Heckman end up running Sports Illustrated?

2»

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,683 Standard Supporter
    Alexis said:

Heckman was a douche back in college also. Was in the Greek system at the same time as he was and lived next door to him. Not many people liked him then either.

Very Jim Mora, Jr.-esque too.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,683 Standard Supporter

My mom got me a subscription in grade school in the 60's so I would read something.

SI was the bible. Manhattan east coast Ivy league Time Life Cadillac franchise. Some of the best sports writing ever

Now reduced to another platform run by idiots

Man, Friday afternoon was the BEST. The Lil' Throber would sit like a puppy dog with his nose pressed up against the window waiting for SI. The first couple years I received it, Oklahoma was on probation so you never saw them on TV. SI was the only news source.

September 20, 1973 - NCAA found University of Oklahoma football team violated extra benefits; including improper recruiting inducements; lodging, publicity and transportation; tryouts; excessive number of official visits; excessive time for official visits; in addition to academic fraud; eligibility; unethical conduct.

Result: 2 year Probation, 2 year post season ban, 2 year television ban, one assistant football coach not allowed to recruit.

Same with NC State basketball around that era. Then they go on to beat UCLA in the national semis in 74 when David Thompson emerged from unicorn status.

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,568 Founders Club
    I had no clue Hellman's company was running it. I didn't renew around 2016 or 2017. It had turned woke and they put Tranny Jenner and 200 lb. heffers on the cover. F that. Anyone who would single out an employee like that is a gigantic turd. That's real life stuff. Have a modicum of professionalism.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

My mom got me a subscription in grade school in the 60's so I would read something.

SI was the bible. Manhattan east coast Ivy league Time Life Cadillac franchise. Some of the best sports writing ever

Every week I waited with great anticipation for the latest issue. Opening the mailbox and finding the new SI was like having Christmas every week. I canceled my subscription in the late 80's
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,005

Same. I fucking loved it. I still have several. I have the edition with Keith Griffin (Archie's boy) running for Miami on the cover after the '83 Nebraska upset. I will never get rid of that magazine.

At some point, when DeFord would write 7 page pieces on fly fishing, I gave up.