Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What UW model?

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is what I think the plan is.

1. Shut down for another month or two, basically until the hospitals have enough equipment and people are used to washing hands and not breathing down each other's necks.
    2. Start opening most services again with the caveat that old people like Race need to know they will have a high chance of getting fucked up if they catch it
    3. Slowly build up herd immunity through the people that aren't old and frail until a vaccine is ready

The world won't be able to afford to stay shut down through even the summer. No way we make it until a vaccine is available. These next couple months are here to ensure we have as many ICU beds and ventilators in place as possible.

We basically try to limit exposure as much as you can while trying to act normal until either 70% of the population has caught it or there is a vaccine.

What are your thoughts on NCAA football playoff? How would you do it?
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

1. Shut down for another month or two, basically until the hospitals have enough equipment and people are used to washing hands and not breathing down each other's necks.
    2. Start opening most services again with the caveat that old people like Race need to know they will have a high chance of getting fucked up if they catch it
    3. Slowly build up herd immunity through the people that aren't old and frail until a vaccine is ready

The world won't be able to afford to stay shut down through even the summer. No way we make it until a vaccine is available. These next couple months are here to ensure we have as many ICU beds and ventilators in place as possible.

We basically try to limit exposure as much as you can while trying to act normal until either 70% of the population has caught it or there is a vaccine.

What are your thoughts on NCAA football playoff? How would you do it?
    Thanks for reading ;)
  • Options
    Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,227
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2020
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Dude61 said:

How many millions of job losses are acceptable to save 100,000 lives?

Where do you get the idea that "only" an extra 100,000 people will die if we just operate normally?
    Where do you get the idea that they won't?

You want to shut it down again you need to prove it. Not theorize about it
    Every model I've seen says millions of deaths if we do nothing. I know you guys hate expertise.
    The only model developed by "experts" I have seen that is currently being used to drive policy has been wildly off the mark in terms of death rates and hospitalizations.

I have seen plenty of models that predict increases in death rates as a result of unemployment.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Dude61 said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Dude61 said:

Where do you get the idea that "only" an extra 100,000 people will die if we just operate normally?
    Where do you get the idea that they won't?

You want to shut it down again you need to prove it. Not theorize about it
    Every model I've seen says millions of deaths if we do nothing. I know you guys hate expertise.
    The only model developed by "experts" I have seen that is currently being used to drive policy has been wildly off the mark in terms of death rates and hospitalizations.

I have seen plenty of models that predict increases in death rates as a result of unemployment.
    Let's see them.
  • Options
    Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,227
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Aaron Lockhart Flag of United States🤲🏻Soap
    @arabbitorduck
    ·
    Mar 31
    [thread] 1 of 10

How much will the economic-induced death toll be for the sustained lockdown suicide pact into which we've been involuntarily entered?

Scaled for today's population, each 1% increase in unemployment would cost us ~60,000 extra lives: https://sci-hub.tw/https://doi.org/10.1177/003232927600600408

Being unemployed contributes to a 63% increase in the chance of dying: https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.01.005

Economists are predicting a roughly 10-fold increase in unemployment due to our lockdown measures, to around 32%. That's higher than in the Great Depression.

Coronavirus job losses could total 47 million, unemployment rate may hit 32%, Fed estimates
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/coronavirus-job-losses-could-total-47-million-unemployment-rate-of-32percent-fed-says.html

If that type of unemployment level is sustained, we could be looking at deaths in the 1.8 million range for Americans as a result of the economic consequences of the lockdown decisions being made for us, without our consultation.

At a "mere" 5% increase in unemployment, we'd been looking at ~294,000 extra deaths as a result of lockdown. That's a low figure at this point.

MARCH 23, 2020

Will “Deaths of Despair” Outpace Deaths From Coronavirus?
    https://childrenshealthdefense.org/news/will-deaths-of-despair-outpace-deaths-from-coronavirus/

A middle-ground increase of 16% to 17% (for a total of about 20%), would be around ~970,000 extra deaths as a result of lockdown.

Those who would be most at-risk from economic-induced deaths would be people age 18 to 34, and of those, particularly men. Also, people who are early or in the middle of their careers would be most affected. The elderly population, not as much.

In addition to the other lasting knock-on effects of a possible (probable) Second Great Depression, the deaths and demographic crunch will vastly change the American landscape, particularly in terms of overall life expectancy.

I think there has to be a middle ground between ~294,000 and 1.8 million economic-induced deaths and a severe setback in national life expectancy, versus the coronavirus projections (not well understood at this point, and which would impact life expectancy very little).

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,333
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Champagne corks popping in the HHusky basement! Great news!

Quite the joke, ain't it Damone?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,634
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Dude61 said:

Biden says not one life if worth losing to help the economy. Zero is the bar.

“Let me be very clear: No one is expendable. No matter your age, race, gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. No life is worth losing to add one more point to the Dow.”
    We've got one of my bosses regular bartenders putting in orders for our mask company

Are you my boss lol
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

You seem pretty gleeful.
  • Options

HHusky said:

You seem pretty gleeful.
    “If a doctor predicts that his patient will die presently, this does not mean that he desires it.” --Joseph Schumpeter
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Each delay means less opens back up. A lot of those doors are staying closed. Furthermore, the fear quotient has been raised so astronomically. What I don't know is which fear will hold the day: disease, or financial ruin.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

You seem pretty gleeful.
    “If a doctor predicts that his patient will die presently, this does not mean that he desires it.” --Joseph Schumpeter
    And? Has nothing to do with you being gleeful about the economy. Finally good news for you if it ends up hurting the person you're obsessed with
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    Swaye's Wigwam

HHusky said:

You seem pretty gleeful.
    He doesn't seem grim that's for sure
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

HHusky said:

You seem pretty gleeful.
    He doesn't seem grim that's for sure
    Not solemn either. Like pelosi was with impeachment
  • Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

You seem pretty gleeful.
    And? Has nothing to do with you being gleeful about the economy. Finally good news for you if it ends up hurting the person you're obsessed with
    So I was right yet again, but I'm too happy about rubbing your face in it.

Guilty!