Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

When does the public get sick of the quarantines?

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,471 Founders Club

SFGbob said:

whlinder said:

I went to Seattle two weeks ago Sunday through Wednesday. My VA county closed schools the next day (Thursday). Yesterday school was cancelled for the year across VA and they shut non-essential businesses for 30 days.
    With what we know now about the local caseload here and the caseload in Seattle I would not have an issue flying there and having the same meetings this week. Nothing is orders of magnitude riskier than it was 2 weeks ago.

At first I thought the county closing schools was an overreaction, but it appears to have been the right decision to close that early on. I don't agree with killing the entire year, especially when school goes until early June.

I'm happy to socially distance for a month to keep people from dying, but once you get past that I think you start to wonder what the point is. Especially if it makes you broke. It turns into a "what's the meaning of life" analysis pretty quick, and those at risk of dying got to enjoy their best years pandemic and economic depression free, which those of us in our best years lose those to a quarantine and subsequent depression which allows those at risk of dying to not die for a couple more years.

There is an inherent risk of bad stuff happening every single day. Cowering in a cave for a year doesn't remove all risk anyway.

Sure would be nice if we had sufficient testing, cleaning supplies and a system to quarantine and track those who are infected. Plus more medical capacity.

The big takeaway from all this is how utterly unprepared we are as a country to effectively deal with pandemic scares. Whether it's Pearl Harbor, 9/11, or COVID-19 we? always seem to get caught with our pants down. Hopefully, our bonehead pols learn the necessary lessons. I won't hold my breath.
    What makes me angry is that we toss billions and billions of dollars at government agencies every year who's job is to plan and prepare for just this kind of event and they fuck it up. This is why you constitute a Federal Government.

As Bismark allegedly once said, "God has a speshial providence for fools, drunkards and the United States of America". Name me a period on our nation's history where the Federal Government hasn't been incompetent on a variety of challenges. We suck and yet somehow remain "exceptional" in spite of it.
    Because command economies are worse at a crisis that stumbling free economies. At least we have the capability to turn on a dime and do what needs to be done

When this is all said and done it will turn out that we aren't China, Iran, or Italy and that we did the best with a bad situation that was exacerbated by the Chi Com pieces of shit that started it
    Agree. We have the worst system, except for all the others.
    That's the difference between a couple of old radicals like me and Bernie

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club

SFGbob said:

whlinder said:

I went to Seattle two weeks ago Sunday through Wednesday. My VA county closed schools the next day (Thursday). Yesterday school was cancelled for the year across VA and they shut non-essential businesses for 30 days.
    With what we know now about the local caseload here and the caseload in Seattle I would not have an issue flying there and having the same meetings this week. Nothing is orders of magnitude riskier than it was 2 weeks ago.

At first I thought the county closing schools was an overreaction, but it appears to have been the right decision to close that early on. I don't agree with killing the entire year, especially when school goes until early June.

I'm happy to socially distance for a month to keep people from dying, but once you get past that I think you start to wonder what the point is. Especially if it makes you broke. It turns into a "what's the meaning of life" analysis pretty quick, and those at risk of dying got to enjoy their best years pandemic and economic depression free, which those of us in our best years lose those to a quarantine and subsequent depression which allows those at risk of dying to not die for a couple more years.

There is an inherent risk of bad stuff happening every single day. Cowering in a cave for a year doesn't remove all risk anyway.

Sure would be nice if we had sufficient testing, cleaning supplies and a system to quarantine and track those who are infected. Plus more medical capacity.

The big takeaway from all this is how utterly unprepared we are as a country to effectively deal with pandemic scares. Whether it's Pearl Harbor, 9/11, or COVID-19 we? always seem to get caught with our pants down. Hopefully, our bonehead pols learn the necessary lessons. I won't hold my breath.
    What makes me angry is that we toss billions and billions of dollars at government agencies every year who's job is to plan and prepare for just this kind of event and they fuck it up. This is why you constitute a Federal Government.

As Bismark allegedly once said, "God has a speshial providence for fools, drunkards and the United States of America". Name me a period on our nation's history where the Federal Government hasn't been incompetent on a variety of challenges. We suck and yet somehow remain "exceptional" in spite of it.
    Because command economies are worse at a crisis that stumbling free economies. At least we have the capability to turn on a dime and do what needs to be done

When this is all said and done it will turn out that we aren't China, Iran, or Italy and that we did the best with a bad situation that was exacerbated by the Chi Com pieces of shit that started it
    Agree. We have the worst system, except for all the others.
    That's the difference between a couple of old radicals like me and Bernie

People forget that George McGovern bombed the bad guy's women and children.

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,395 Swaye's Wigwam
    Even with the current low mortality rate this thing is going to get worse before it gets better. Cases and infected are skyrocketing as there's about a 2 week lag at least for any of the quarantine "stay at home" shit and that's if people actually were following it, which many aren't. This shit is probably going to overwhelm our hospitals and first responders within the next week or so while the public is going to demand an end to all the measures that "aren't doing anything anyway" bc people can't think through a 2 week lag of cause and effect. Six weeks is more or less what it takes for lockdown to work and I don't see a lot of people having the stomach for that. I'm definitely taking the over 12,000 dead at this point.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Even with the current low mortality rate this thing is going to get worse before it gets better. Cases and infected are skyrocketing as there's about a 2 week lag at least for any of the quarantine "stay at home" shit and that's if people actually were following it, which many aren't. This shit is probably going to overwhelm our hospitals and first responders within the next week or so while the public is going to demand an end to all the measures that "aren't doing anything anyway" bc people can't think through a 2 week lag of cause and effect. Six weeks is more or less what it takes for lockdown to work and I don't see a lot of people having the stomach for that. I'm definitely taking the over 12,000 dead at this point.

WAY over

Time for a dead pool? Cash grab opportunity for Stalin? I think @PurpleThrobber has called it at under 5K.
    House money

Under 12,000 and we? saved you by shutting it down. Over and we? stopped it from being worse

One positive is people are finding out how many of us? die every year from stuff. You kind of have to put it in perspective don't you? If we drop 80K from the flu and nobody panicked then let's keep doing that
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Time for a dead pool? Cash grab opportunity for Stalin? I think @PurpleThrobber has called it at under 5K.
    I'll take 81,000
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter

Yeah, I definitely think we’re at the point where the cure is getting to be worse than the illness. I personally can handle another two weeks, but that’s it.

Problem is, if there’s a quick resolution to this you have all the economic damage without any lessons being learned or meaningful changes being made. I’m experiencing a lot of fucking deja vu with how governments have been reacting to this, same shit as 9/11 and 2008.

Businesses and governments want to go back to the status quo as soon as possible.

Can you tell Mrs. Throbber v2.0 to pick up some TP on the way home? Assuming she comes home in the next 2 weeks....

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter
    The lesson that government will learn is not to treat new viral epidemics like we do the flu but to start treating the flu like they did the new kid on the block.

we fucked no matter what.

I'm good, already have a person who is 1 degree removed from us die, have quite a few friends who are awaiting their tests to confirm they are infected, and am sitting with lots of high risk family members. Even I'm not dark enough to want to put that shit on my karma card right now.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter

I think the COVID-19 stats are going to be like attendance for a UW/FCS football game. Announced and actual.

Actual is going to be around 5,000. Announced is going to be about 16,000.

They'll fudge the numbers with a bunch of shit that otherwise would have been written off as the flu in years past. Relatively certain of that.

Lady 97 years old dies. Chalk it up to the COVID. Not natural cause of old age. COVID. For sure.

I'm good, already have a person who is 1 degree removed from us die, have quite a few friends who are awaiting their tests to confirm they are infected, and am sitting with lots of high risk family members. Even I'm not dark enough to want to put that shit on my karma card right now.
    Yep. Even HH isn’t fucked enough for such a thing.

I hear you though...I’ve already used up my 2019-20 time in the hospital gut it out, will power. The one thing I did actually stockpile was all the kiddie asthma meds to try and prevent a return visit.
  • ramenduckramenduck Member Posts: 734

Working at home was fun when not everyone in my house was doing it. Also no road trips to jobsites to break it up.

When does the public get sick of the quarantines? Right about now

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    edited March 2020
    Line

Once you've fired up kountrykaye, buckle up buttercup.

But seriously, it soumds as if something moar resembling martial law is comin' down the pike in Cali,

When does the public get sick of the quarantines? Right about now

Got in and got mine!

Also, this was already happening in Calistan it's just the media doesn't get outraged by the 2nd getting trampled on.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club
    edited March 2020
    I reckon if a couple hundred thousand die from all of this maybe the government won't be such a disgraceful waste of money next tim. Really mind boggling how ill prepared for this we were. SARS and Ebola sort of telegraphed the need to these imbeciles. Disgrace. Millions temporarily out of work. Stimulus packages that will have to be paid back via higher taxes for decades, thousands dead (likely), stock market in shambles, thousands of small businesses that will never reopen, trampling of civil liberties throughout....most ham fisted response to anything ever.

How liberals can ever think the government is good for anything after this is mind boggling. They will of course blame Trump, and not the 10's of thousands of government functionaries who have been in their jobs for decades preparing for something like this. And at game time they froze, then puked on themselves, then shit down their own legs. Fucking joke.