Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Racist hate crimes against Asians

13»

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter

I was dating an Indian woman during 9/11. She was afraid to go into public. She cited the fact that a Sikh was murdered in Arizona reportedly for wearing a Turban. And of course, Sikh men wear turbans but have nothing to do with Islam. But I pressured her to find any other example of actual violence, because I said that America is actually a pretty tolerant society compared to much of the world. And if Sikhs were being attacked on the regular the news would be plastered all over the mainstream news. She never did really agree with me, though.

Did you at least get some angry sex out of the deal?

• SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942

I was dating an Indian woman during 9/11. She was afraid to go into public. She cited the fact that a Sikh was murdered in Arizona reportedly for wearing a Turban. And of course, Sikh men wear turbans but have nothing to do with Islam. But I pressured her to find any other example of actual violence, because I said that America is actually a pretty tolerant society compared to much of the world. And if Sikhs were being attacked on the regular the news would be plastered all over the mainstream news. She never did really agree with me, though.

It's a nation of over 300 million people. You can always find and example of some idiot doing something stupid.

Our problem is that our media takes these rare and freakish events and reports them as if they are everyday experiences. Everyone has heard about the Sikh who was killed after 9/11. The media made sure of it. But our media loves to report on our society, especially on white Americans as if they are a seething cauldron of racism and bigotry when the truth is that we're one of the more tolerant country's in the world.

There isn't a predominately white neighborhood anywhere in America that minority person would be in fear of their personal safety if they were walking around.

They might not be entirely welcome, and they might have a police cruiser ask them what's up, and even these would be a rare events, but they wouldn't be fear of their lives. Can you honestly say the same for a white person walking around any numerous black or Hispanic neighborhoods?

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,007 Standard Supporter
    Peaceful Hindu Indians have offed plenty of Sikhs. Really tolerate of the untouchables. They came to America to live the dream. You were correct. Much safer in middle class America.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,471 Founders Club
    I worked with a Sikh when 9 11 happened. He'd tell stories of people giving him shit and laugh because he gave it back

Hated Muslims too.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

I worked with a Sikh when 9 11 happened. He'd tell stories of people giving him shit and laugh because he gave it back

Hated Muslims too.

Hondo?? True???!!?