Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Seafood

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Crab
    Disappointing.

Shrimp is for teenage girls.

Maryland blues on a big brown piece of paper and a cold pitcher or gtfo
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    Crab
    dflea said:

Disappointing.

Listen - I've told you before that I wouldn't steer you wrong, and I won't. Take that blue crab and put it behind the trailer tire where it belongs and get yourself a big 9" Dungeness crab, and eat the fucker with nothing but melted sweet cream butter. There's really no comparison. King crab is nice because the size of the chunks you get is immense, but the flavor of Dungeness crab is way above the others that I've had, including blues.

Get your cold pitcher and brown paper and put a Dungie on it. You'll see. I'll give you that my opinion may be a bit biased because on a typical July weekend, I'll go out on my buddy's boat, drop the crab pots, go fuck off and knock back some brews, then pull the pots. Sometimes you have to drop the pots twice to get a limit, but that just means a few more brews. Once we get a limit, it's back to the launch - hit the cleaning station, and then off to the camp site to get a big pot of water boiling with some Old Bay.

Throw in a crab, wait for it to turn that awesome cooked-crab color, then fish it out and eat it - on a piece of brown paper if you want. A crab that's only hours out of the water is pretty hard to beat.

I voted crab in the pole because I like fish, but love crab. If I could put as much crab in my face as I do fish, I might change my vote - but crab is harder to come by than fish.

It's the social aspect bitch
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,969
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Crab

Good shit pole, Cletus.

You're full of shit on crabbies though. It's Dungeness with a good white wine or GTFO.

As Jim once said...

The west is the best
    The west is the best
    Get here, and we'll do the rest

I don’t believe in wine pairings with certain foods, but Dungeness crab is great. I like king crab too.
    Rose works too with crab. I’m fairly liberal on the pairings. But if you wanna drink cab that drinks like merlot with crab you should probably got jump of the Narrows Bridge.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,886
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Shrimp

Good shit pole, Cletus.

You're full of shit on crabbies though. It's Dungeness with a good white wine or GTFO.

As Jim once said...

The west is the best
    The west is the best

I don’t believe in wine pairings with certain foods, but Dungeness crab is great. I like king crab too.
    Rose works too with crab. I’m fairly liberal on the pairings. But if you wanna drink cab that drinks like merlot with crab you should probably got jump of the Narrows Bridge.
    I drink whatever is in the brown paper bag.

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Fish
    Wine pairings are very real. Same with any other ingredient. Sure, as long as it’s good quality it works fine, but some wine and food combinations are fucking amazing.

You wanna get REAL geeky? Let’s talk glassware. The same wine from the wrong glass can be absolute trash. Almost undrinkable. The same wine but in the right glass??? Great. I didn’t believe the hype until I did the test.

And it’s not even some subtle nuanced difference. It is a stark contrast that 100% of the people I’ve seen tested pick up on immediately.

So yeah, wine pairings matter. Just like good scotch matters. Turns out, you get what you pay for. Who knew?

Or it’s a scam. Who can say for sure.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Good shit pole, Cletus.

As Jim once said...

The west is the best
    The west is the best

I could drink a read with seafood and a rose with steak. All of that is gibberish bullshit that restaurants do to upsell you on wine.
    No.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,120
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fish
    Baseman said:

Mastro's Seafood Tower. Customizable. Order the King Crab, Dungness, and the LARGE prawns. Skip the oysters. I could go either way on the lobster. Can be ordered at Scottsdale's Mastro's, CityHall, or The Ocean Club. Mastros has a Beverly Hills location, as well. They'll give you a private table. Just tell them you're part of Derek Johnson's crew.

"Derek Johnson, the NFL linebacker?"
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Crab

dflea said:

Disappointing.

Listen - I've told you before that I wouldn't steer you wrong, and I won't. Take that blue crab and put it behind the trailer tire where it belongs and get yourself a big 9" Dungeness crab, and eat the fucker with nothing but melted sweet cream butter. There's really no comparison. King crab is nice because the size of the chunks you get is immense, but the flavor of Dungeness crab is way above the others that I've had, including blues.

Get your cold pitcher and brown paper and put a Dungie on it. You'll see. I'll give you that my opinion may be a bit biased because on a typical July weekend, I'll go out on my buddy's boat, drop the crab pots, go fuck off and knock back some brews, then pull the pots. Sometimes you have to drop the pots twice to get a limit, but that just means a few more brews. Once we get a limit, it's back to the launch - hit the cleaning station, and then off to the camp site to get a big pot of water boiling with some Old Bay.

Throw in a crab, wait for it to turn that awesome cooked-crab color, then fish it out and eat it - on a piece of brown paper if you want. A crab that's only hours out of the water is pretty hard to beat.

I voted crab in the pole because I like fish, but love crab. If I could put as much crab in my face as I do fish, I might change my vote - but crab is harder to come by than fish.

It's the social aspect bitch
    There's a social aspect to eating second rate crab?
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Crab
    LebamDawg said:

there really is no bad vote on those choices - missing Scallops mmmmmmmm.
    Take a little of each one on the list and make Ciopinno mmmmmmm

When I lived in Baltimore used to each lunch at a place called Schultzy's on Eastern ave. Crab bisque and a soft shelled blue crab sandwich - a CLT instead of a BLT. mmmmmmmm

ABUNDANCE is the answer

Edit - forgot the pix

I want to sink my whole head into that pot of deliciousness. A good cioppinno is so fucking awesome.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    None the above, Snows a oar boat rower hamburgerhead and I know better ——>

Wine pairings are very real. Same with any other ingredient. Sure, as long as it’s good quality it works fine, but some wine and food combinations are fucking amazing.

You wanna get REAL geeky? Let’s talk glassware. The same wine from the wrong glass can be absolute trash. Almost undrinkable. The same wine but in the right glass??? Great. I didn’t believe the hype until I did the test.

And it’s not even some subtle nuanced difference. It is a stark contrast that 100% of the people I’ve seen tested pick up on immediately.

So yeah, wine pairings matter. Just like good scotch matters. Turns out, you get what you pay for. Who knew?

does gulping from the bottle affect the taste? asking for a fren
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Crab

Good shit pole, Cletus.

As Jim once said...

The west is the best
    The west is the best

I could drink a read with seafood and a rose with steak. All of that is gibberish bullshit that restaurants do to upsell you on wine.
    STOP!!

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Crab
    LebamDawg said:

Was on my way to a family get together and everyone was bringing seafood or related item. I decided to bring a geoduck for chowder and generally an all around laugh

I stop by my favorite bar carrying a geoduck in a bag. Sitting there, people are asking what I have in the bag (insert Kimmie what's in the bag.jpg). So I had them play a game and I promised that I had not ripped the bottom of the bag out. (I wish) Anyway generated a lot more laughs than clam chowder. Took all night to clean that damn clam, I think my brother broke a couple of knives trying to skin it.

I know CSB

I'm 1 for 1 in geoduck hunting. Got one on my first try. The damn thing was YUGE and must have been born in the 1800s.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Fish
    LebamDawg said:

does gulping from the bottle affect the taste? asking for a fren
    I’d assume so since it wasn’t properly aerated
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Crab

LebamDawg said:

Was on my way to a family get together and everyone was bringing seafood or related item. I decided to bring a geoduck for chowder and generally an all around laugh

I stop by my favorite bar carrying a geoduck in a bag. Sitting there, people are asking what I have in the bag (insert Kimmie what's in the bag.jpg). So I had them play a game and I promised that I had not ripped the bottom of the bag out. (I wish) Anyway generated a lot more laughs than clam chowder. Took all night to clean that damn clam, I think my brother broke a couple of knives trying to skin it.

I know CSB

I'm 1 for 1 in geoduck hunting. Got one on my first try. The damn thing was YUGE and must have been born in the 1800s.
    Getting geoduck’s is easy with two people. Dig around, one pinches his head as heard as he can the other gets him from the digging around. On a 7th grade field trip, we probably got 20 of them. Maybe they were razor clams. I know they are similar but there isn’t something different about them.