Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Serious Question

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
Has anyone else heard this rumor from friends who supposedly have contact with military personnel that the Pres. is going to invoke the Stafford Act to quarantine the entire country for some period of time?

Any legs to this thing?

Comments

• Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Haven’t heard that.

But I been on the river all day.
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Has anyone else heard this rumor from friends who supposedly have contact with military personnel that the Pres. is going to invoke the Stafford Act to quarantine the entire country for some period of time?

Any legs to this thing?

Sounds like that was some major fake news. He would play right into the hands of the nanny-state loving democrats. We are already well beyond any point we should have been and the democrats are circle jerking the fuck out of each other to see who can outdo the other with lock downs.
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Whether he does or not, the President needs to do two things:

1) He needs to make sure the $700 Billion gets to the people, not the bankers. Not sure how that looks but I am downright convinced that if the people suffer unduly as a result of all these restrictions, they are going to headhunt. If they get a whiff that this is for Wall Street and the big banks, they are going to lose it.

2) He needs to put the great logistical minds together and go all hands on deck in developing a food supply without interruption. See #1 above except hangry. Hangry people do what they need to do to get food. If the stores turn into Venzeula, all bets are off in my worldview. Keep the people fat and happy.

Aside from that, nothing else matters. People are on edge and letting them worry about money and food will only escalate things. Take those off the table and they'll be much more compliant to quarantines and rationing and things of that nature.

The problem I have is when Inslee goes all out and shuts down the market, only leaving grocery stores open, etc. That's going to put a strain on them and the shelves will be empty shortly after. I'm even thinking I may need to go do some extra shopping with our a-hole gov going all nanny. We are adults in America, let us make the choices and if we die from stupidity, so be it. Happens every day. The food supply one is one that has me worried. I was at Target last night and it was quiet and everyone was simply keeping to themselves shopping for their shit, but hey, let's go overboard and shut it all down.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

1) He needs to make sure the $700 Billion gets to the people, not the bankers. Not sure how that looks but I am downright convinced that if the people suffer unduly as a result of all these restrictions, they are going to headhunt. If they get a whiff that this is for Wall Street and the big banks, they are going to lose it.

2) He needs to put the great logistical minds together and go all hands on deck in developing a food supply without interruption. See #1 above except hangry. Hangry people do what they need to do to get food. If the stores turn into Venzeula, all bets are off in my worldview. Keep the people fat and happy.

Aside from that, nothing else matters. People are on edge and letting them worry about money and food will only escalate things. Take those off the table and they'll be much more compliant to quarantines and rationing and things of that nature.

Agree with #1 @PurpleThrobber.

As for #2 here, folks have plenty to eat, buy, kill or catch.

Sumbitches around here are more worried about TP, sanitizer and bottled water.

• Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2020
    He’s already invoked the Stafford Act just not quarantining the entire country.

Trump Declares A National Emergency Under The Stafford Act—Here’s What That Actually Allows Him To Do

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/03/13/trump-declares-a-national-emergency-under-the-stafford-act-heres-what-that-actually-allows-him-to-do/#15461e035c48

“ Usage of the Stafford Act is actually quite common (it gets invoked an average of 56 times per year, according to a report from the Congressional Research Service), but it has rarely been used for public health emergencies since the 1960s: Only twice, in 2000, when President Bill Clinton declared emergencies in New York and New Jersey over the West Nile Virus outbreak, according to Bloomberg.”
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Postal91 said:

The problem I have is when Inslee goes all out and shuts down the market, only leaving grocery stores open, etc. That's going to put a strain on them and the shelves will be empty shortly after. I'm even thinking I may need to go do some extra shopping with our a-hole gov going all nanny. We are adults in America, let us make the choices and if we die from stupidity, so be it. Happens every day. The food supply one is one that has me worried. I was at Target last night and it was quiet and everyone was simply keeping to themselves shopping for their shit, but hey, let's go overboard and shut it all down.
    We were in several stores today. They weren't bad. Shelves pretty hammered but not Venezuela bad. The grocery workers I talked to said today was by far their slowest in several days. They said their normal deliveries will arrive tonight/tomorrow but those are based on normal sell through - so the shelves will still look pretty hammered. It will take a couple order cycles to get ahead of the curve.

I think we are going to see rationing and rolling store closures. If exposure is a concern, it's not really 'fair' to put some of these grocery store workers in the line of hazard like they are police or fire or health providers....they signed up to stock shelves. So, maybe on Monday Safeway is open, Tuesday is Albertsons (no apostrophe) and so on. This gives a little extra time for the trucks to reload and catch up getting the store stocked back up to normal level. It also keeps the whack jobs from cornering the market on TP or whatever. Put some quantity guidelines in place and purple thumb print people after they are done shopping. We're going to have anarchy if the stores are left to be a free for all, basket filling experience.

• Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Any legs to this thing?

The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the use of the military against the populace, which would have to be done to enforce a quarantine. The National Guard has special exceptions that allow some limited enforcement. I’m not a lawyer so I’m sure I’m missing something.
  • Options

Postal91 said:

We were in several stores today. They weren't bad. Shelves pretty hammered but not Venezuela bad. The grocery workers I talked to said today was by far their slowest in several days. They said their normal deliveries will arrive tonight/tomorrow but those are based on normal sell through - so the shelves will still look pretty hammered. It will take a couple order cycles to get ahead of the curve.

I think we are going to see rationing and rolling store closures. If exposure is a concern, it's not really 'fair' to put some of these grocery store workers in the line of hazard like they are police or fire or health providers....they signed up to stock shelves. So, maybe on Monday Safeway is open, Tuesday is Albertsons (no apostrophe) and so on. This gives a little extra time for the trucks to reload and catch up getting the store stocked back up to normal level. It also keeps the whack jobs from cornering the market on TP or whatever. Put some quantity guidelines in place and purple thumb print people after they are done shopping. We're going to have anarchy if the stores are left to be a free for all, basket filling experience.

Exactly right. It’s sorta like they great scare here and across the country when all
    The mass shootings were happening during the Obummer era...could not find a .22 caliber nowhere. When could, it was 3 boxes/person.

Just took a little time and now have no problem.

This will blow over as well. The masses of goofiness are depleniashing the reserves. Mass hysteria. But it will come about face In due time.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Look around at what is happening ... full quarantine is happening this week

Inslee and the other governor’s aren’t shutting things down without knowing it is coming

Vegas also isn’t shutting shit down unless they have to
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

Any legs to this thing?

The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the use of the military against the populace, which would have to be done to enforce a quarantine. The National Guard has special exceptions that allow some limited enforcement. I’m not a lawyer so I’m sure I’m missing something.
    I'm only hearing this from people who allegedly hear from their friends who are in the military and are supposedly being briefed.

No idea myself.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Postal91 said:

Any legs to this thing?

Sounds like that was some major fake news. He would play right into the hands of the nanny-state loving democrats. We are already well beyond any point we should have been and the democrats are circle jerking the fuck out of each other to see who can outdo the other with lock downs.
    Yeah, the question wasn't meant to generate yet another fake news, rats, conspiracy deep state thread. At this point, if Krisvashon herself had the right answer to this problem, I'd be all ears.

For now, I just want to get some intel, if there's any to be gotten, on what might be coming. I want to get a sense if there's any real possibility of me having to do something uncomfortable to deal with my kids 3,000 miles away from here. The politics is a secondary issue at this point, unless you or someone can show me that this is all a liberal hoax.
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

Any legs to this thing?

National Guard is what has been deployed in New Rochelle NY. I don't know to what extent they are 'regulating' things, but I know they've been deployed.

Fucking bats. JFC.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,802
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Any legs to this thing?

I don't know on what legal basis, but I have heard full quarantine. What I heard was so crazy I couldn't believe it. 14 day house bound quarantine; after that 4 weeks only allowed out for 1 hour a day.

I don't know how they would enforce it as a practical matter.

Stores were getting pretty fucking bare tonight. The checker was certain things were going to be berserk tomorrow after "an announcement". Bellevue QFC

Tomorrow I'm buying the best home protection one can buy. God bless the 2A. Also packing a bug-out bag.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

USMChawk said:

Any legs to this thing?

National Guard is what has been deployed in New Rochelle NY. I don't know to what extent they are 'regulating' things, but I know they've been deployed.

Fucking bats. JFC.
    They may be, but the National Guard falls under Title 34(32?) restraints and are a hybrid State/Federal force. Purely Federal troops (Army, Navy, Air Force & Marines) fall under Title 10.
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

Any legs to this thing?

Fucking bats. JFC.
    They may be, but the National Guard falls under Title 34(32?) restraints and are a hybrid State/Federal force. Purely Federal troops (Army, Navy, Air Force & Marines) fall under Title 10.
    Yeah, I can tell you if issuing securities to raise capital can be done w/ or w/out registration with the SEC, and if so, how to do it. I can tell you how to effect a reverse triangular merger and draw up the papers. I can't trace the line of authority from the National Guard back to the fed, and I sure can't tell you what the National Guard can and can't do and under what circumstances. I know some Con Law from my days as a judicial law clerk, but that's about it.
  • Options
    Founders Club

USMChawk said:

Any legs to this thing?

Fucking bats. JFC.
    One of my childhood best friends is on the team that plans for national disaster response for the National Guard. He's a Lt Col. He told the the response in NY was purely for medical assistance.

He also denied what i poasted earlier in the thread - as of 2 days ago - claiming they didn't have the legal authority.

So who fucking knows what to think.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    pawz said:

USMChawk said:

Any legs to this thing?

Fucking bats. JFC.
    One of my childhood best friends is on the team that plans for national disaster response for the National Guard. He's a Lt Col. He told the the response in NY was purely for medical assistance.

He also denied what i poasted earlier in the thread - as of 2 days ago - claiming they didn't have the legal authority.

All the signs point to shit hitting the fan

Let’s be honest that when things are about to happen it’s often met by denials and avoiding responses
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

pawz said:

USMChawk said:

Any legs to this thing?

Fucking bats. JFC.

All the signs point to shit hitting the fan

Let’s be honest that when things are about to happen it’s often met by denials and avoiding responses
    He is also subject to non-disclosure of classified information.

FMFYFE