Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

When the going gets tough the tough go on recess

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
https://foxnews.com/politics/pelosi-says-dem-coronavirus-package-could-be-released-this-week

In a press conference with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer Monday evening, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters that the House version of a new coronavirus bill could be released this week, although it is unlikely it will be able to pass until after the upcoming congressional recess.

"Well, we are putting it together," Pelosi told reporters, according to a transcript released by her office. "It’s not like we just woke up and started thinking about this... I don’t know that we can be ready this week, but we can introduce this week, we can introduce it and we may be ready this week, depending on CBO, depending on Leg. Counsel and how quickly they can get something back to us."

Pelosi went on to say that she would consider shortening the House's recess scheduled for next week if needed to pass the bill, but that she did not expect to have to do so and is tentatively planning for passage after the recess.

You don't have to give up your recess if you just blame Trump for everything. Note that these ass clowns have yet to come up with anything other than TDS over the last 7 weeks while Trump has been acting and getting called a racist for his trouble.

"Well, yes, if there's a necessity — if we think we're going to get some action in the Senate to do it," Pelosi said of the possibility of shortening the recess. "But we want to do it right and we want to have clarity for families." (huh?)

Meanwhile, the president Monday night said that he would pitch a variety of economic measures aimed at helping the U.S. economy during the coronavirus threat — including a payroll tax cut, aid to small business and paid sick leave for hourly workers.

“This is not our country’s fault, this was something that was thrown at us,” Trump said. “The main thing is we’re taking care of the American public.”

But Schumer, at the press conference with Pelosi, criticized Trump for being too focused on the economy amid a health crisis that has led several states to declare states of emergency.

"I mean what was missing from the president’s talk is how he is actually going to deal with the spread of the coronavirus. That’s the bottom line," Schumer said. "Well, what’s he going to do? So far we’ve seen statements belittling the problem, contradictory statements, statements that don’t address the problem."

Schumer continued that line of attack against Trump in a statement released Monday evening: "It seems President Trump is more focused on the stock market than addressing this pandemic," he said.

And Congress is focused on what again? Thank Allah someone gives a shit about the market and the economy. We know the democrats don't

On the payroll tax cut, one of the top solutions Trump is pushing to boost the economy amid its coronavirus woes, neither Schumer nor Pelosi would commit to entertaining the idea.

"We told you what we would support," Schumer said. "That's what we're focused on."

Of course they don't entertain the idea. It could work. If this was really serious Congress would be worried about their jobs too. Instead its bash Trump and the morons all say amen

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Rats want to push a stimulus that consists of more welfare. They are opposing a payroll tax cut because it doesn't help enough of their voters.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

I don't think a payroll tax cut is a bad idea per say. It's never wrong to give American consumers more spending power to buy shit during times of economic hardship. My concern, is how to tackle the social distancing issue. Travel and hospitality are getting devastated right now. The "abundance of caution" could end up wrecking far more people's lives than the virus itself. Imagine being @PurpleBaze trying to make a living driving Uber this summer in Seattle.

Yella, you always THINK and CARE.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't think a payroll tax cut is a bad idea per say. It's never wrong to give American consumers more spending power to buy shit during times of economic hardship. My concern, is how to tackle the social distancing issue. Travel and hospitality are getting devastated right now. The "abundance of caution" could end up wrecking far more people's lives than the virus itself. Imagine being @PurpleBaze trying to make a living driving Uber this summer in Seattle.

Some of us called that an irrational panic fueled for political gain.

Others are mad at Trump for not joining in

• Options
    Standard Supporter

And for using the wrong tone.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

The ability for you guys to miss the point never ceases to amaze.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    From the front page of the Press Enterprise

Hysteria
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

There's no mutual exclusivity here. One can think it's an irrational panic and argue that Donnie's tweeting is a bad look and counter productive. I guess you want him to loose in Nov. Sad.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

The tone // level of professionalism is completely different.

Now, what "point" did I miss?
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I caught a few minutes of KingTV news and they are blaming the Wuhan virus (I am a racist) for the market collapse and never even mentioned that oil dropped over 25% yesterday.

The media is feeding the frenzy, methinks they are taking a chance in laying the ground work to over throw the king
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

From the front page of the Press Enterprise

Hysteria

Did you see the video of parents spraying their kids down with Lysol because someone at the school had the virus? We have a few of our own hysterics on this board.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

There's no mutual exclusivity here. One can think it's an irrational panic and argue that Donnie's tweeting is a bad look and counter productive. I guess you want him to loose in Nov. Sad.
    Trump's tweets are the only place yo can go to get the other side of the story. The entire media as always joins the democrat narrative

It is a fact that Trump acted first and right while the democrats were calling him a racist

Trump is not going to let them set the narrative so he does lose in November

The smartest thing Trump does is not take advice from those who want him to lose and those who are losers themselves. If Trump listened to Never Trumpers like you we would never have had Trump

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

The tone // level of professionalism is completely different.

Now, what "point" did I miss?
    tone-deaf
    /ˈtōn ˌdef/
    adjective
    adjective: tone-deaf
    (of a person) unable to perceive differences of musical pitch accurately.
    "Henry wasn't really very musical but Ivy was tone-deaf"

Someday someone will explain to me what he thought he was accomplishing by saying stuff like this. My fallback explanation is always “He’s trying to talk the market up,” but he’s been trying that for the past two weeks with zero success. At some point even he has to understand that unrealistic optimism panics investors more than if he didn’t say anything at all.

Maybe this is his way of trying to reassure people. His aides are probably telling him to stay realistically optimistic in his public remarks — the tests are coming, we’re working on a fiscal stimulus, and so on — but in his mind that translates into a simple reliance on “the numbers” which everyone except him understands by now are faulty. There are 546 confirmed cases here because we’ve only tested a few thousand people. There’s every reason to believe that coronavirus is deadlier than the flu is, and much deadlier to older people. There’s no vaccine, and warmer summer weather doesn’t guarantee that cases of a novel virus will tail off. The flu numbers in the tweet below are the tally at the end of flu season whereas we’re still in the beginning stages of “corona season.” Confirmed cases are about to go way, way, way up as mass testing finally comes online. Almost everyone understands this.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Trump's tweets are the only place yo can go to get the other side of the story. The entire media as always joins the democrat narrative

It is a fact that Trump acted first and right while the democrats were calling him a racist

The smartest thing Trump does is not take advice from those who want him to lose and those who are losers themselves. If Trump listened to Never Trumpers like you we would never have had Trump

Remind me again what the Congress was doing in December and January when we first become aware of the Wuhan virus.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Corona is already going down where it first hit. Korea and China

I prefer the tone of Trump to the bed wetters
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,869

Coronavirus is the New Coke of disease.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

They need to seriously ramp up testing and start isolating the pockets of the population where the virus is more virulent. Canceling all sporting events and mass gathering just fuels the hysteria. Mass testing will also reveal that the virus isn't anywhere near as dangerous as the media/Rats are telling people and that many people who have/had the virus never even realized it because the symptoms were so mild.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

Remind me again what the Congress was doing in December and January when we first become aware of the Wuhan virus.
    Nothing

And still nothing except