Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The OKG Shit

Is really fucking stupid. Titus Young is a bi polar schizophrenic. He's not anyone's "kind of guy." He is however, a great football player. In 2010. Boise State had 16 players who had been arrested in the past 5 years. That was right up near the top for teams ranked in the top 25.

Some on doogman and even on here seem to think Petersen is only going to recruit choir boys, and won't be going after talented players with baggage. OKG is just a coach's philosophy. It seems similar to Don James' 10 tough questions. Not every player on Don James' teams was a good guy, and not every player on Petersen's team will be either. A lot of it is fucking lip service for the lower ranked guys in a class. I doubt Napolean Kaufman's answers to 10 tough questions actually mattered. They wanted him because he was really fucking fast and an explosive playmaker. If Joe Mixon or another 5 star from the West Coast wants to come here, the OKG shit will go right out the window.

Petersen's not going to want the same guy's Sark did, but that's not rare. After the 4 and 5 star guys, most coaches recruit certain guys who fit schemes. We didn't have a great class to begin with. All of this bitching is fucking stupid.

Comments

• Water is Wet, Petersen wants talented guys but looks at lower level guys differently than Sark

Had to clean it up.
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    Yes. All this bitching is stupid.
  • PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    OKG has nothing to do with character or baggage. It just means coachable kids.

You have to be SarkFS to recruit guys who aren't going listen.
  • PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    Or RomarFS. Sigh.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I thought it was all whooshes ... Fuck ... I'm confused ...

Some people in here are really smart so I tend to give the whole lot of you assholes the benefit of the doubt ... Just like I'm giving Coach Pete ( I like to call him 'Pete' instead of Petersen, it's what I like to do) the benefit ...

LIFPO bitches :bz

... The bee is gay isn't it ...?

Axe Passion

• Back when Race and iDawg(RIP) used to do podcast I remember Race telling iDawg you don't want a coach who can do more with less, you want a coach who can do more with more.

For the first time since James, we have a coach who can possibly do that. He can coach up the lower tier kids into something like James did with an Emptman but he can also land and then coach up high talented kids like James did with a Lincoln Kennedy.
  • The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 521
    Good post. Yeah pretty sure the OKG is some coach speak/marketing bs that was fed to the Bronco fans to make them feel better about only landing shitty looking recruits.
    Everybody seems to be expecting us to only recruit 2 stars farm boys. Come on...
  • NYCdawgNYCdawg Member Posts: 52
    Pete coined the OKG phrase and while other coaches don't use the acronym, every one of them looks for OKGs that fit their particular system. Moreover, there's subjectivity to it as an OKG to Sark might not be the same for Pete. Also, coach Pete has a master's in educational psychology...after learning more about him and his "way" over the last couple of weeks and seeing how he goes about his business running a program, it seems like many of his moves apply principles learned in school back in the day (and perhaps this "OKG" stuff is one of them...kinda feels like it).

Bottom line: the dude is wily and wicked sharp...stoked he's our coach.

• DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    From Petersen's press conference:
    "We talk about recruiting OKG's, our kind of guys that are great character kids, awesome football players, interested in a world class degree, all those things fit."
    People seem to get hung up on the fact that he mentioned "great character kids" and completely forget that he also said "awesome football players." He's not some idiot who wants to pass on great football players. He didn't do that at Boise and he won't do that at UW.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Good post. Yeah pretty sure the OKG is some coach speak/marketing bs that was fed to the Bronco fans to make them feel better about only landing shitty looking recruits.
    Everybody seems to be expecting us to only recruit 2 stars farm boys. Come on...

That's exactly what it is. Never understood why peoples have been so cranked up about another throw-away coach slogan from the drop. Win The Day, Win Forever, I'm On A Boat, they all have their own. CP might be able to back it up tho.
  • It's like the retarded "Patriot Way" shit.

People think Belicheck goes for character guys/team players but in reality he's just getting the best players possible. If you can get thugs to help you win games then get thugs.

See Hernandez, Aaron for an example.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

It's like the retarded "Patriot Way" shit.

People think Belicheck goes for character guys/team players but in reality he's just getting the best players possible. If you can get thugs to help you win games then get thugs.

See Hernandez, Aaron for an example.

True.

I would say every coach has HKG ... someone who fits the mold better than another player, maybe more athletic player.

That is what makes a 3* perform better than a 5* in certain systems.

Petersen basically said things are going to be fucked up until I can get my staff in ...

Passion needs to take some pressure up the middle and heat from the side and relax a little.
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,468
    The fucksticks at doogman have their panties in a twist over this OKG crap.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,083

who gives a fuck?

15 games...win or GTFO

YBE
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,357 Founders Club
    "Scott, I'm sorry but I don't have 90 minutes to sit around gabbing every day. Don't take it personal but I've got work to do. "