Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why winning big in year 1 is so important

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
- Capitalizing on all time great recruiting classes in WA, torpedoing the 2019 season might have daggered it already though
- Jimmy needs to establish himself, doesn't have Pete 92-12 record to fall back on. CFB graveyards are filled with upjumped, failed coordinator conversion hires
- Jimmy will be validated pretty quickly one way or the other for the O's performance. Either he looks like a complete brilliant savant with Donovan, a left field stroke of genius no one saw coming --- OR MORE LIKELY --- he's in over his head, hiring a guy who by every quantitative and qualitative measure is horrifyingly unqualified.
- The roster is set to win now. Outside of QB, at least. The defense is good enough to win 10+ and should be terrific.

IMO the odds Lake actually being good aren't encouraging. I also think he 100% bounces to the NFL if he truly balls out here.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,967 Founders Club
    Jimmy needs to go 6-3 in pac or better in year 1. No excuses.
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member Posts: 1,480
    At big time programs like UCLA you can go out and grab a proven coach with NFL experience. You let the loser schools up in rain country like UW and Oregon take their chances on unproven coordinators. When they are seasoned and ready for the big time, they inevitably want to take the next step and play under the bright lights of LA with the glitz and glamour. We can afford to give our coaches a chance to clean out the dead wood and install their system. No need to win now. The state of California is beautiful and has unlimited money so recruits will still want to come here no matter what. In former national coach of the year Chip Kelly we trust. The south will rise again and it’s our time now.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,492 Founders Club
    Disagree on the NFL. He could be there now

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,964
    Gladstone said:

- Capitalizing on all time great recruiting classes in WA, torpedoing the 2019 season might have daggered it already though
    - Jimmy needs to establish himself, doesn't have Pete 92-12 record to fall back on. CFB graveyards are filled with upjumped, failed coordinator conversion hires
    - Jimmy will be validated pretty quickly one way or the other for the O's performance. Either he looks like a complete brilliant savant with Donovan, a left field stroke of genius no one saw coming --- OR MORE LIKELY --- he's in over his head, hiring a guy who by every quantitative and qualitative measure is horrifyingly unqualified.
    - The roster is set to win now. Outside of QB, at least. The defense is good enough to win 10+ and should be terrific.

IMO the odds Lake actually being good aren't encouraging. I also think he 100% bounces to the NFL if he truly balls out here.

Lolz.

I guess the phrase "hope springs eternal" exists for a razon.
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member Posts: 1,480

Gladstone said:

IMO the odds Lake actually being good aren't encouraging. I also think he 100% bounces to the NFL if he truly Whballs out here.

Lolz.

I guess the phrase "hope springs eternal" exists for a razon.
    If we don’t win the natty, we can just say fuck it and catch some rays en la playa. Plenty of perspective to be had here in la la land. I’m sure you can relate as a fan of a loser program with plenty of nearby beaches.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

not as a HC
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

3 conference losses? Not gonna cut it.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,717
    A
    Gladstone said:

not as a HC
    He has such a boner for the NFL.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,492 Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

not as a HC
    Then he should have spent the last 5 years in the NFL as an assistant

It's far from ideal. But looking at the schedule and breaking in a new QB, 6-3 in Pac doesn't = @FireJimmy. 5-4 or worse does in my view. 7-2 or better and Jimmy could end up being the guy.

It's far from ideal. But looking at the schedule and breaking in a new QB, 6-3 in Pac doesn't = @FireJimmy. 5-4 or worse does in my view. 7-2 or better and Jimmy could end up being the guy.
    This is how it starts Yella. First, it's a pimple on your nose.

Then, .....

Then, .....
    Jiminy @creepycoug ... this take is twash as fuck. We let Toothy go 4-5 and 4-5 and no one seriously wanted to fire him in 2015.

This isn't rocket science. If Jimmy goes 6-3 in year 1 and doesn't win the Pac it's not a red flag, we fucked up the hire moment.

Then, .....
    Jiminy @creepycoug ... this take is twash as fuck. We let Toothy go 4-5 and 4-5 and no one seriously wanted to fire him in 2015.

This isn't rocket science. If Jimmy goes 6-3 in year 1 and doesn't win the Pac it's not a red flag, we fucked up the hire moment.

And look where that gotcha.

I'm concerned about your facility for rational thought on this topic.

I thought when Mario was running the show down at Oregon a 9 win season meant failure.

The standard has been set here. Win or GTFO.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,397 Swaye's Wigwam
    Does the roster still have more than 40+ blue chips? Is the Pac12 still twash? 10 Wins or more or gtfo.

Does the roster still have more than 40+ blue chips? Is the Pac12 still twash? 10 Wins or more or gtfo.

Apparently, a lot of our blue chips were overrated by the TBS bros.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,359 Swaye's Wigwam

Apparently the defence on there own wins 7 games as was proven last year. They need to put together an offense that can win the other 3 games a year.

8-4
  • SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,450
    Could this be addressed on the podcast?