Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Petersen and TBS - Something to consider.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
edited December 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
Brandon Huffman (a teen boy stalker that does a decent job) offered some thoughts on Petersen's recruiting as he assumes the head job at Washington.

He said that Petersen is at a disadvantage coming from boise state because he hasn't been able to develop relationships with the caliber of players that Washington would normally consider. In other words, if Petersen had come from another pac-12 school, it's likely that he would've already been recruiting the 4 & 5-star players (and their families) that Washington and other pac-12 schools are considering.

Because he is coming from boise state, he has not really been going after the Budda Bakers of the world. He has been focusing on the usual players that boise gets - 1, 2, and 3-star players...at best. So, he is starting off in a worse place. It will take a while for the blue chippers to get to know him, and vice versa. And, it will likely take longer than one year.

Once Petersen is known in the households of elite players, I have no idea when and if he will reel in the big fish. I hope so. But, at least for now, prepare yourselves for a less-than-stellar 2014 class, and perhaps 2015. It's probably a good thing that we don't have room for a big class this year.

Comments

• As long as you have a great coach your recruiting can be mediocre.

LIFPO.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622

Mora hadn't been recruiting them either and he's doing fine

Was he doing fine right after he got the job, and before his first national letter of intent day?

Also, mora is in los angeles, and assumed the head coaching position at ucla when usc was under scholarship limits and local opinion (among recruits and others) was that usc was losing some of its luster.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,971 Swaye's Wigwam
    This class isn't going to be up to most peoples' standards. I'll be surprised if he lands any 4* guys and he may struggle to fill all the open spots.

It's OK though. Dredge up some linemen somehow. Go ahead and gift a spot to that lefty QB. We're going to need depth there.

I'm just not worried.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,870 Founders Club
    Passion said:

Was he doing fine right after he got the job, and before his first national letter of intent day?

Also, mora is in los angeles, and assumed the head coaching position at ucla when usc was under scholarship limits and local opinion (among recruits and others) was that usc was losing some of its luster.
    Yes he was. And based on your worldview, if Mora screws up he's to be blamed but if he excels he did so by default.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    maybe the question to ask is... why, given the fact Woody met with Sark for 90 minutes every day, did he not notice Sark had aborted all proactive recruiting since the morning Haden fired Kiffin at the airport? Anyone hanging the pressure on Coach P is pathetic - this is ALL on Woody and that fat fucktarded cheating (allegedly) coach we used to have who had the nerve to write "the house that Sark built" on the framing of the new stadium.
  • DeepPurpleDeepPurple Member Posts: 201
    Even if the players or their families don't know who Pete is, the kid's coaches will... and that can go a long way to good recruiting.

I suspect one of the reasons Sark has been whiffing on some of the good local guys, is that he isn't respected by the coaches of some of the local schools.

I but those coaches have a lot more respect for Pete, and will start to guide kids his way.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    chuck said:

This class isn't going to be up to most peoples' standards. I'll be surprised if he lands any 4* guys and he may struggle to fill all the open spots.

It's OK though. Dredge up some linemen somehow. Go ahead and gift a spot to that lefty QB. We're going to need depth there.

I'm just not worried.

I'll be pretty disappointed if he can't close on McGary at the very least.

I would set the over/under on 4 stars at 1.5, and take the over. I think he'll pull a surprise or two.

• PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited December 2013

Passion said:

Yes he was. And based on your worldview, if Mora screws up he's to be blamed but if he excels he did so by default.
    Nope. I'm simply saying that they inherited completely different circumstances.

Look, I wanted Mora because I think he has done a great job, and I will call for petersen's head if his "OKGs" suck "SHIT." I'm simply saying that I think there is some credence to Biggins' comment that it will take time for petersen to develop relationships with jr and sr blue chippers.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,159
    Winning 11 games next year will give us a better class than Sark ever sniffed at UW. Kids follow winners and want to play for winners. The whole excuse of "Oregon has Nike and Phil Knight and that gives them a recruiting advantage is bullshit. Kids go to Oregon because they have dominated the league for 5 years.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Passion said:

Passion said:

Nope. I'm simply saying that they inherited completely different circumstances.

Look, I wanted Mora because I think he has done a great job, and I will call for petersen's head if his "OKGs" suck "SHIT." I'm simply saying that I think there is some credence to Biggins' comment that it will take time for petersen to develop relationships with jr and sr blue chippers.
    Wait, was it Biggins or Huffman?

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,157 Founders Club
    This class was DOA. HTH
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    amazing how brian kelly's small timey staff recruited the big boys once they went to ND from Cincy

urban meyer's small timey utah staff recruited just fine once they were at florida

jim mora never recruited anyone prior to UCLA

petrino's western kentucky classes are ranked literally 3 times lower than his arkansas classes

etc

just win, baby. the standard at UW should always be: lock up the PNW talent and grab high 3/low 4 star CA kids with chips on their shoulders.
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    Let the excuse making begin...

If this is going to be the case, why is it seeming like he's going to let the current staff walk? And why doesn't he go after proven pac12 recruiters who have these relationships? If he brings all small time guys and simply doubles their salaries, big disappointment. Hell, even if he keeps Tui and Tosh ad hires another P12 coach, that's better than keeping the entire BSU staff because he's too loyal. I'm willing to LIFPO, but if it takes him almost 2 full classes to develop relationships with Washington-calibre players, that's all on Pete.
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Water is wet.

If he is who we think he is this will sort out just fine.

... Seriously this is a "no-shit!" Thread ... Anyone who knows cfb already has sorted through this already..
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,670 Founders Club
    Rural Meyer did okay transitioning from Utah to Florida
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    At worst, this is a one-cycle problem. And if you have to absorb one substandard recruiting class, you'd prefer it be a small class, like this one.

CP's arriving at a sleeping giant program as a proven winner. New facilities, good school, livable city...this shit sells itself, as long as you win. CP is gonna be fine.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,971 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

I'm just not worried.

I'll be pretty disappointed if he can't close on McGary at the very least.

I would set the over/under on 4 stars at 1.5, and take the over. I think he'll pull a surprise or two.

Yeah I forgot about McGary.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,841 Swaye's Wigwam
    Following recruiting too closely is extremely faggy.

If one of you fags who happens to do it can analyze the percentage of players Petersen went after and got commits from at Bozey, that would be telling. I happen to think he probably got a pretty solid percentage of the guys he went after, and if that's the case, I wouldn't be too concerned now.

This season's class was fucked when Kiffen got shitcanned, if not before that.

But recruiting is recruiting. Either you can do it or you can't, and I think Petersen has shown that he can. So you hand-wringing fags can fuck off and LIPO.