Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Official HH Book Club List

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

This might have been a suggestion by @Doog_de_Jour .
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6306969-an-edible-history-of-humanity

Good chit. And not all happy eatings either. Some seriously dark shit including Holodomor.

And if you like that one, this one is a good follow up:

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

@pawz recommended this book somewheres, maybe the late @creepycoug's shitty bored. Anyhow, really good, thanks.

I just got done reading this too. Thank you @pawz. I appreciated how Voss acknowledged (unlike most business books) that there *is* quite a bit of emotion involved in negotiating. I almost wish we could do this as a book club selection.
    Book club selection...

How am I supposed to do that?
    Yore* the mod, make it so.
    Ps,

How am I supposed to accept that answer when you organized the last book club read?

Book club read...
    You can hang on your own ellipses*... ANSWER THE QUESTION!

*NTSD technique noted

Nice to meet you, my name is Grundle. I'd sure like to do that, it's a fair request, but I simply have used all my bandwidth.
    *Late night DJ voice* @pawz is gone now. I’m Doog__de_Jour, you’ll be talking to me now.

Deserves another bolton. Funny AF
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11324722-the-righteous-mind

If Iº were to do another book clerb, I think this would be the book. However, since we do not deal in hypotheticals, I'll give my own little report.

This book is relatively low on engagement, or rather, engrossing. I wasn't itching to pick it back up every time. It's rather weighty and perhaps not best suited for audiobook.

However, informative and challenging.

The author claims to have been a standard issue proggies prior to working on this subject. Now he says he's more independent minded.

The basis of the book are his moral foundations theory, consisting of 6 factors.
    1. Care v. Harm
    2. Liberty v. Oppression
    3. Fairness v. Cheating
    4. Loyalty v. Betrayal
    5. Authority v. Subversion
    6. Sanctity v. Degradation
    He claims that Liberal politicians do better on the first 3, while largely ignoring the last 3, where Republicans do far better.

Eh, I'm already out of steam on this one.

I did not see the reviews on GoodReads prior to reading. Some progressives kinda butt hurt there.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Relentless Strike

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24019181-relentless-strike

A political and operational history of Joint Special Operations Command. Really good book. It starts with, naturally, the creation of JSOC following Operation Eagle Claw. After the first-third of book or so, kicks into military pr0n describing operations. Big chunk of book covers Iraq & Afghanistan. One of the most notable things for me is that this is most I've ever read listened about Delta Force, the D Boys if you will. The SEALs got most of the free pub.

On a scale of 1 = I hate America and 10 = Ooorah!, this book probably comes in around 5.5 - 6. It's gracious to frontline individuals but unafraid to criticism leadership, strategy and certain tactics.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

One Bullet Away

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/116478.One_Bullet_Away

Memoir by Nathaniel Fick, the featured lieutenant from Generation Kill. Good, quick read. Fills in what that group did in Afghanistan, which is hinted at in GenK.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Relentless Strike

A political and operational history of Joint Special Operations Command. Really good book. It starts with, naturally, the creation of JSOC following Operation Eagle Claw. After the first-third of book or so, kicks into military pr0n describing operations. Big chunk of book covers Iraq & Afghanistan. One of the most notable things for me is that this is most I've ever read listened about Delta Force, the D Boys if you will. The SEALs got most of the free pub.

On a scale of 1 = I hate America and 10 = Ooorah!, this book probably comes in around 5.5 - 6. It's gracious to frontline individuals but unafraid to criticism leadership, strategy and certain tactics.

SEALs are great at self promotion. You don’t hear much from former Delta operators.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

One Bullet Away

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/116478.One_Bullet_Away

Memoir by Nathaniel Fick, the featured lieutenant from Generation Kill. Good, quick read. Fills in what that group did in Afghanistan, which is hinted at in GenK.

Nathaniel Fick? Of the Coney Island Ficks?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,810

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11324722-the-righteous-mind

If Iº were to do another book clerb, I think this would be the book. However, since we do not deal in hypotheticals, I'll give my own little report.

This book is relatively low on engagement, or rather, engrossing. I wasn't itching to pick it back up every time. It's rather weighty and perhaps not best suited for audiobook.

However, informative and challenging.

The author claims to have been a standard issue proggies prior to working on this subject. Now he says he's more independent minded.

The basis of the book are his moral foundations theory, consisting of 6 factors.
    1. Care v. Harm
    2. Liberty v. Oppression
    3. Fairness v. Cheating
    4. Loyalty v. Betrayal
    5. Authority v. Subversion
    6. Sanctity v. Degradation
    He claims that Liberal politicians do better on the first 3, while largely ignoring the last 3, where Republicans do far better.

Eh, I'm already out of steam on this one.

I did not see the reviews on GoodReads prior to reading. Some progressives kinda butt hurt there.
    Progressives are always butt hurt.

TTTTT, I know.

• Options

Relentless Strike

SEALs are great at self promotion. You don’t hear much from former Delta operators.
    Interviewed a former SEAL for a position recently.

Dude walked on his own water. May have got the job done but the carnage in his wake wouldn't have been worth it.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2021
    Two true classics. As always the book > the movie

• Options

People forget Cameron Crowe bagged Nancy Wilson at the peak of her 80's hotness.

People forget that.

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Does Rat finally bang Stacey? TIA
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

People forget Cameron Crowe bagged Nancy Wilson at the peak of her 80's hotness.

People forget that.

WOOD Ann circa '76
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    This thread has gone horribly awry.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

BORED MOTTO.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

The White Cascade: The Great Northern Railway Disaster and America's Deadliest Avalanche

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/88365.The_White_Cascade

Plowed (lulz) through this unironically during the Great Heat Wave. It has same the common foibles of the genre, presuming a lot of the mindset of people long since dead. However, the subject is complete wheelhouse for me. Skrong recommend.
  • Options

Or maybe the market properly corrected it.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Or maybe the market properly corrected it.

Yeah, I give up.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Walked out of the wakanda bookseller yesterday @GrundleStiltzkin with the Quanah Parker book. Real page turner thus far.

Them Comanches were some mean sum bitches.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Walked out of the wakanda bookseller yesterday @GrundleStiltzkin with the Quanah Parker book. Real page turner thus far.

Them Comanches were some mean sum bitches.

Shoutout to @JoeRogan. It's a great story. The technical writing skills were kinda hard for me to follow in places.