Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest Frontman in Rock History (no guitar players) Pole

Comments

• Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

The fact nobody mentioned Layne Staley in this thread speaks volumes about the generic, shitty taste of this board. I'm not even sure I want to post here anymore.

I love Layne and agree about the dusty muzak represented here. Staley was a bit of a bore as a frontman
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Freddie Mercury
    chuck said:

The fact nobody mentioned Layne Staley in this thread speaks volumes about the generic, shitty taste of this board. I'm not even sure I want to post here anymore.

Came here to make this exact poast.

TYFYS
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mick Jagger
    chuck said:

That's what the Fuck Off option is for. ATBSJBS, what group on this list would you say AIC exceeds in historical importance?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Freddie Mercury
    I can't choose the best from this list but these four certainly deserve to be chincluded

Scott Stapp
    Chad Kroeger
    Kip Winger
    Fred Durst
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I love Layne and agree about the dusty muzak represented here. Staley was a bit of a bore as a frontman
    You like to call him Layne...
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mick Jagger

With guitar and harmonica its Neil Young

Neil is a solo artist primarily who had a backing band, Caballo Loco.

Springsteen is not a frontman. Bowie was not a front man. Etc, etc.
    Neil has always had a band. He's done more with a band than without

You are wrong
    No, you are wrong.

All solo artists have a backing band...

For example...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse
    Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
    Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracle
    Paul McCartney & Wings
    David Bowie & Spiders From Mars
    Prince & The Revolution
    James Brown & The Famous Flames

This is a different dynamic than a REAL "band" which is more of a group of co-equals. There's no Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones or Don Henley & The Eagles.
    Paul McCartney and Wings were just Wings when they released the stuff. I think after the re-issues and band infighting/breakup did they get re-branded as Paul McCartney & Wings.
  • Options
    Mick Jagger

Better stay out of my wheelhouse kid

He fronts bands

Don't make me call Harv. I get enough texts about you already

I ain't no kid who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Get Harv up in here...

That's a good start.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fuck-off, the obvious choice is
    Neil Young fronts a band. Period end of story

Let's not be fucking stupid around here
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mick Jagger

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mick Jagger

So does Bog Seger. So does Bruce Springsteen.

There's no bins for the Silver Bullet Band or the E-Street Band at the record store.

There is one for Crazy Horse, however. Their debut LP from 1970 is phenomenal and Neil ain't on it. They were a distinct musical until that he was not a member of officially speaking and served as his backing band or co-billing on some albums- i.e., Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mick Jagger

In real life, I am respeckful of elders to a fault. You're making this tough day for me emotionally speaking. I might need to go walk around Green Lake for perspective.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Mick Jagger

I'm normally a @RaceBannon fan. I'm also a huge Neil Young fan, but I agree with @YellowSnow on this one. Neil has played with two many backing bands. If it was Crazy Horse all the time, then maybe. But there was also the Stray Gators, Bluenotes, Promise of the Real, Booker T. and the MGs, Shocking Pinks, The International Harvesters, The Santa Monica Flyers, etc.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    Mick Jagger
    alumni94 said:

I'm normally a @RaceBannon fan. I'm also a huge Neil Young fan, but I agree with @YellowSnow on this one. Neil has played with two many backing bands. If it was Crazy Horse all the time, then maybe. But there was also the Stray Gators, Bluenotes, Promise of the Real, Booker T. and the MGs, Shocking Pinks, The International Harvesters, The Santa Monica Flyers, etc.
    Race has had it in for me here all because of fucking Rod Stewart. Mind you I voted for Neil Young over hot Rod in my shitty Little Rock tournament. It was the other knuckle heads that screwed it up.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like to list all the bands a guy has to prove he's a solo artist
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mick Jagger

I like to list all the bands a guy has to prove he's a solo artist

He should have stayed in Buffalo Springfield and convinced Still to do the same. They could have been as big as the Beatles and we could all go back to being frens.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mick Jagger

chuck said:

That's what the Fuck Off option is for. ATBSJBS, what group on this list would you say AIC exceeds in historical importance?
    I'm not considering historical importance. I'm simply considering quality and how well guys fit the frontman label. Staley is as good as there has ever been in my not so humble opinion. Jagger and Plant, even Daltrey, get an extra boost in my mind due to longevity and the size of the body of work. I dont personally put anyone else mentioned here above Staley.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    Jim Morrison
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I'm not considering historical importance. I'm simply considering quality and how well guys fit the frontman label. Staley is as good as there has ever been in my not so humble opinion. Jagger and Plant, even Daltrey, get an extra boost in my mind due to longevity and the size of the body of work. I dont personally put anyone else mentioned here above Staley.
    Well, fuck a duck, Chuck. you're just plain Loco.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,101
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Axl Rose.

Wins pole rather easily:

I mean its a sweatpants shorts boner.

Honorable mentions not on the list:
    Sebastian Bach - Skid Row
    Vince Neil - The Crue
    Dee Snider. ha ha I actually love Twisted Sister. There's a documentary about how they couldn't get a record deal despite selling out show after show in the tri-state area for like 7 years.
    Oderus Urungus - GWAR (I don't remember him playing a guitar, just using an axe to re-kill Jerry Garcia)

JFC.

Skid Row? Garbage.

Vince Neil? Eh, he was ok. Not a generational talent by any stretch.

Dee Snider? One fucking song ever, and I hated it then, and hate it even more now. A complete nothing band and nothing front man. Rotten garbage.

Who?
    Skid Row, mostly for his pipes, and every interview I imagine its like hanging out with swaye, just lots of tits and blow. Makes me laugh.
    It's Motley Crue. Arguably one of the biggest acts of the 80's. They are still selling out places. They never wrote stairway to heaven but other than GnR, and Lynyrd Skynyrd, probably no better music to get drunk, or run to. Also Neil is the only front man I know to have killed someone.
    Dee Snider - Great live act, underated band and music. I recommend watching We Are Twisted Fucking Sister. They were black balled by record companies despite probably selling out more shows than bigger signed acts.
    You don't know who Gwar is? Okay, honestly Gwar's music sucks, but they put on one of the best shows one could dream of attending.

Let's not forget that some of these front men had the privilege of singing for some amazing bands. It's not far fetched to say you could mix and match and get similar results.

Lastly my vote was for Axl Rose. Was just throwing some underrated guys into the ring.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946

chuck said:

Couldn't pick Layne out of a police lineup. Falls into the 'also getting votes' status like a G5 Toledo or ECU.

Mick if the name of the artist isn't included in the band name; As @ThomasFremont points out, Prince if it is.