Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Maurice Heims, 2021 3* DE, Santa Margarita (Santa Margarita Catholic), CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Buck room next year will be Latu, Trice, Smalls and Heims. Coach K has a lot of talent to work with.

What about ZTF?
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,084
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2020

Buck room next year will be Latu, Trice, Smalls and Heims. Coach K has a lot of talent to work with.

What about ZTF?

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,965
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020

What about ZTF?
    Joe Tryon? Bueller? He isn't necessarily going pro. However, if he wants to reap and rape souls and go in the first 2 rounds, I'd allow it.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,450
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This guy coulda been the next Manuel Neuer, and instead he’s going to play for our shitty football team. Not much of a thinker.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2020
    I hope he likes our nazi uniforms
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Heims detailed several reasons why he chose the Huskies.

“Washington felt like home for me,” Heims said. “I never had a chance to visit but doing the zoom calls and virtual tours, I got a really good feel for what the school was all about and it reminded me so much of Hamburg, Germany, where I’m from.

“It’s a beautiful place with the lake running right up in to the stadium and all the trees and water everywhere. That’s what I’m comfortable with and I can’t wait to get out there and visit and see the school close up for the first time to get an even better feel for everything.”

Heims said he connected really well with the coaching staff too.

“I really like Coach K (Kwiatkowski) a lot,” Heims said. “He was the coach who offered me back in January and we have developed a great relationship ever since. I also talk a lot with coach Terrence Brown, who recruits my area and I like the direction the program is going under coach Lake.”

Scheme fit was another plus for Heims.

“I like the defense and their plan for me,” Heims said. “They want me rushing the quarterback and coming off the edge and that’s what I love to do. They like my frame and my athleticism and feel I can be a real impact player for them.

“They can move me around but mostly want me off the edge and I’m really excited about it. This was definitely a family decision. My entire family is excited for me and will be out there with me as well. Academically, it’s a great fit as well. Washington is one of the top academic schools in the country so it was really a great all around fit in every way.”

As for the timing of his decision, Heims said he had no reservations about committing early in the process before taking a lot of his visits and without even seeing UW up close.

“It was important for me to commit in the summer,” Heims said. “I wanted to focus on taking care of my academics and staying on top of that. I also want to be able to concentrate on our football team at SM this fall and not have to worry about recruiting any more.

“I know it’s early but the way I looked at it, there wasn’t a school that was ever going to be a better fit then Washington. I could have waited until December and I wouldn’t have found a school that offered everything UW did. The more I thought about it, the more I realized there was no need to put it off and I’m very excited and happy to be a Husky.”

Bleeds purple
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,965
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020
    This kid loves UW and loves America.

https://youtu.be/AFPbhZgtdhw
  • Options
    mrdoogmrdoog Member Posts: 203
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    That all mountain west team is coming together nicely
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,826
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    mrdoog said:

That all mountain west team is coming together nicely

Get an avatar you savage. But before then, drink bleach.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Wiltfong:

In April of 2019, 247Sports went across the pond to Amsterdam for a joint combine with PPI Recruits, where a young German defensive end in Maurice Heims was one of the prospects on the field that caught our eye.

Heims hadn’t even been playing football a year at the time.

“Has a chance to develop into a Power Five level recruit with the right work over the next two years,” 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons wrote coming out of the event. “He showed some natural athleticism and pass rush instincts.”

That ended up being on the money as just a little over a year later the 6-foot-5, 240-pound Heims secured his spot among the Power Five ranks Friday announcing his commitment to Washington.

In retrospect, it’s been a bit of a whirlwind for Heims, who was discovered two years ago by Brandon Collier of PPI Recruits, an organization not only trying to build the game of football in Europe but also provide a pathway for these European prospects to land at Division-I schools in the United States.

“He had three things you can’t coach,” said Collier who played professionally in the NFL and in the Canadian Football League. “Length, natural athletic ability and toughness, so after that day I knew he would be a Power Five kid!

“I helped another kid on the team he played for Robert Lachmann who now plays for Albany and he introduced us. His dad and him came to meet me in Wiesbaden, Germany five hours away from his home in Hamburg and I had him working out with three other Power five kids (Alexander Ehrensberger who went to Notre Dame, Joseph Darkwa - Penn State, Sylvain Yondjouen - Georgia Tech) and you could see he can do some things naturally.”

From there Heims was part of a group Collier took to the United States in June 2019 for camps, including Clemson and Penn State. The Nittany Lions offered two days after seeing him live.

Under normal circumstances, PPI prospects stay in Europe as Collier wants it known “these kids can make it from their home countries,” but with Heims living those five hours away from him, he thought in this case a move to the United States would be beneficial. Collier had a buddy in Anthony Rouzier who just took the defensive coordinator position at Santa Margarita (Calif.) Catholic and linked the two up. By August Heims was in the Golden State pushing for his dream.

“First impression when you see him is man, that dude is long and bouncy,” Rouzier said. “With last year being his second year of football you really have an open canvas to work with, and his ceiling is extremely high. He’s like a one-year old pup that is almost full grown, just figuring out how to move in his body, but full of tons of energy. We are excited to see him combine growth in the mastery of his technique and fundamentals with his motor this season. He has a number of different talents and skill sets to attack an offense.”

Last fall Heims was a man amongst boys on the junior varsity team because California has a rule where international kids have to sit out a season of varsity upon their arrival. With that, Rouzier said there were games Heims would have six tackles for loss and multiple sacks.

“Which was to be expected with at his size and speed,” he said.

“He brings it every single play,” 247Sports National Analyst Greg Biggins said. “Pretty raw, doesn’t really know how to use his hands yet but he’s a big athlete and I think he has some upside for sure.”

So does just about the entire Pac 12. Washington State and Arizona State offered in November and Jimmy Lake and Washington entered the mix in January. He ultimately landed offers from Colorado, Oregon State and Arizona as well. Helms is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation’s No. 32 strong-side defensive end. The folks at Santa Margarita Catholic are expecting a big season this coming campaign.

“He has gained almost 20 pounds and added a ton of strength,” Rouzier said. “He’s also done a great job of understanding our emphasis on leverage and the ability to bend, so he has worked hard on his flexibility. He can squat toes pointed straight ahead and feet shoulder width apart with a good amount of weight on his back — not a lot of guys can do that- let alone big guys.”

“He is a kid that hasn’t come close to reaching his ceiling,” Collier added. “He’s 6-5, 240 now and carries his weight very well. He loves football and I believe his hands and hips have gotten a lot better. He has a very good initial punch and his motor I would say is his best attribute.”

Helms shares the defensive front with four-star defensive lineman Derek Willkins and is clearly one of the leaders on his team.

“We emphasize being a DAWG on our defense and have an acronym for it — so it’s almost serendipitous that he ended up at U Dub,” Rouzier said.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    TommySQC said:

“Washington felt like home for me,” Heims said. “I never had a chance to visit but doing the zoom calls and virtual tours, I got a really good feel for what the school was all about and it reminded me so much of Hamburg, Germany, where I’m from.

“It’s a beautiful place with the lake running right up in to the stadium and all the trees and water everywhere. That’s what I’m comfortable with and I can’t wait to get out there and visit and see the school close up for the first time to get an even better feel for everything.”

“I really like Coach K (Kwiatkowski) a lot,” Heims said. “He was the coach who offered me back in January and we have developed a great relationship ever since. I also talk a lot with coach Terrence Brown, who recruits my area and I like the direction the program is going under coach Lake.”

“I like the defense and their plan for me,” Heims said. “They want me rushing the quarterback and coming off the edge and that’s what I love to do. They like my frame and my athleticism and feel I can be a real impact player for them.

“They can move me around but mostly want me off the edge and I’m really excited about it. This was definitely a family decision. My entire family is excited for me and will be out there with me as well. Academically, it’s a great fit as well. Washington is one of the top academic schools in the country so it was really a great all around fit in every way.”

As for the timing of his decision, Heims said he had no reservations about committing early in the process before taking a lot of his visits and without even seeing UW up close.

“It was important for me to commit in the summer,” Heims said. “I wanted to focus on taking care of my academics and staying on top of that. I also want to be able to concentrate on our football team at SM this fall and not have to worry about recruiting any more.

“I know it’s early but the way I looked at it, there wasn’t a school that was ever going to be a better fit then Washington. I could have waited until December and I wouldn’t have found a school that offered everything UW did. The more I thought about it, the more I realized there was no need to put it off and I’m very excited and happy to be a Husky.”

Bleeds purple
    Where are all the doogs who say Oregons class will all decommit because they haven't visited?
  • Options

TommySQC said:

Bleeds purple
    Where are all the doogs who say Oregons class will all decommit because they haven't visited?
    most of the doogs are bunch a hypocrites
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Probably worrying that this kid will decommit?

Jesus Tittyfucking HC. The assumption that commitments from kids who have never stepped foot on campus are shakier than commitments from kids who have is very valid. Common sense, even. There's an argument to be made that basing your whole strategy on things getting back to normal and kids reacting accordingly is stupid, but that's an entirely different conversation.

When the early signing period started, nobody knew how that would shake out. There were definitely winners and losers, and Petersen was a big winner. The early signing period was seemingly tailor-made for Washington's recruiting strategy. COVID is going to be the same thing. It's completely unpredictable how this is going to shake out, both from a "will there even BE football and/or visits?" standpoint and from the standpoint of how kids react to a system with a lot of momentum behind it that has been suddenly turned on its head. Again, there will be winners and losers. Early returns are that Washington's slow-playing, "our offers matter," check all the boxes approach to recruiting is going to play out like PLSS in church in this new environment.

But I don't think it's necessarily doogish to assume that there will be a wave of decommitments when kids actually have an opportunity to visit campuses and meet coaches in person.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Probably worrying that this kid will decommit?

Jesus Tittyfucking HC. The assumption that commitments from kids who have never stepped foot on campus are shakier than commitments from kids who have is very valid. Common sense, even. There's an argument to be made that basing your whole strategy on things getting back to normal and kids reacting accordingly is stupid, but that's an entirely different conversation.

When the early signing period started, nobody knew how that would shake out. There were definitely winners and losers, and Petersen was a big winner. The early signing period was seemingly tailor-made for Washington's recruiting strategy. COVID is going to be the same thing. It's completely unpredictable how this is going to shake out, both from a "will there even BE football and/or visits?" standpoint and from the standpoint of how kids react to a system with a lot of momentum behind it that has been suddenly turned on its head. Again, there will be winners and losers. Early returns are that Washington's slow-playing, "our offers matter," check all the boxes approach to recruiting is going to play out like PLSS in church in this new environment.

But I don't think it's necessarily doogish to assume that there will be a wave of decommitments when kids actually have an opportunity to visit campuses and meet coaches in person.
    There probably are never going to be visits for this class. I hate to say it, but putting our hope on decommitments to save this class WITH visits is assuming a lot. Counting on that saving the class (or even helping it), when theres no reason to assume visits will ever happen, is pretty doogish.

At this point UW can still hope Egbuka and JTT come around. That would be the saving grace for this class.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,969
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    We need to start recruiting Hamburg harder. Clearly the similarities between there and seattle give us a big advantage there.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Bread said:

We need to start recruiting Hamburg harder. Clearly the similarities between there and seattle give us a big advantage there.

We should build a wall around Hamburg

And Berlin
    @DerekJohnson