Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Maurice Heims, 2021 3* DE, Santa Margarita (Santa Margarita Catholic), CA (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I don't love that he's already 18 and hasn't actually played any Varsity football.

He's still a take but there's a pretty low floor here.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,913
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

@backthepack I'm intrigued as well, but I don't see any OLB for that guy. Especially when he's still figuring out the game. The less reads he has to make the faster he can get out there and help.

Coach K is recruiting him as a Buck
    What are your thoughts on him @sonics1993 ? I really dont like the "major upside but right now hes struggling at jv football" angle. Reminds me of what they said about Devin Burleson
    Coach K identified him early and had him as a top target which is good enough for me.
    Fair enough, I guess. Still doesnt excite me much
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

@backthepack I'm intrigued as well, but I don't see any OLB for that guy. Especially when he's still figuring out the game. The less reads he has to make the faster he can get out there and help.

Coach K is recruiting him as a Buck
    What are your thoughts on him @sonics1993 ? I really dont like the "major upside but right now hes struggling at jv football" angle. Reminds me of what they said about Devin Burleson
    Coach K identified him early and had him as a top target which is good enough for me.
    Fair enough, I guess. Still doesnt excite me much
    Me neither but at this point you just take what you can get.
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

I don't love that he's already 18 and hasn't actually played any Varsity football.

Probably held back due to the international move. I don't like it at first glance. But the frame and physical traits look pretty good. Like @sonics1993 said, if a coach wants a project I have the most faith in Coach K on our staff right now to develop this kid.
  • Options

dnc said:

Probably held back due to the international move. I don't like it at first glance. But the frame and physical traits look pretty good. Like @sonics1993 said, if a coach wants a project I have the most faith in Coach K on our staff right now to develop this kid.
    Definitely held back by the move. Just saying I’d like his upside a lot more if he were just turning 17 than just turning 18.
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

dnc said:

That's a good rule. I'm tired of seeing guys from Europe get recruited to schools just for football. That's how Bellevue rose to dominance, on the backs of EU transfers that didn't even live in the district.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,959
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

That's a good rule. I'm tired of seeing guys from Europe get recruited to schools just for football. That's how Bellevue rose to dominance, on the backs of EU transfers that didn't even live in the district.
    What?? Feel I’m getting wooshed and EU transfers is code for something else...
  • Options
    NEsnake12 said:

Huffman has taken a love to shit talking UW recruits so grain of salt. Nevertheless, this assessment. doesnt fill me with joy

Very raw but shows some flashes.

The one thing to note, Heims played JV football last year. He hasn't played a snap of varsity football yet for Santa Margarita, so all of his film is against JV teams and I wouldn't say he was quite dominant either.

Because he's originally from Germany and had moved to the US, by the time he got settled at Santa Margarita, he was not allowed to play varsity last fall.

A lot of upside there, was up and down at the Under Armour Camp. Would get by an OL, then lose the rep because he'd go back to his blocker to engage, almost like he thought he had to be blocked. Didn't test particularly well, but impressive looking on the hoof.

This next year will tell a lot about his ability long term, since it will be his first against varsity competition"

Im not the type to "trust the coaches" but in this case.... trust huffman or coach K???
    Coker/DDY constantly say "don't watch the competition, the competition doesn't matter."

Outside of QB's and kickers, it's all about athletic potential. Heims is a high end athlete who has a high ceiling. He doesn't need to play right away
    And they are simultaneously correct and overestimating their own abilities to separate the player from the competition when they say that.

The eye test is never enough because the eye lies.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2020
    First question in evaluating a player. Are they dominating? If they are going to be good in college, they should be. There a few outliers, but it’s really the test of whether a guy has a shot at the next level of competition. Go from there.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Helms is a great lottery ticket. He's a far better athlete than the kid that just committed to OU and has a higher upside than Summerville.

Helms is no Kyler Manu and could end up a dominating all conference player or he could Bryce Sterk and transfer to Montana.

I thought of Sterk and had to laugh at myself for giving Helms a thumbs up grade. I did the same for Sterk for basically the same reasons. He's a good athlete with plus speed for his size.

Sometimes it's necessary to be a football player too. Hopefully this guy is.
  • Options
    Baseman said:

Helms is a lottery ticket. He's a far better athlete than the kid that just committed to OU and has a higher upside than Summerville.

Helms is no Kyler Manu and could end up a dominating all conference player or he could Bryce Sterk and transfer to Montana.

More of a Martin Breunig type, IMO
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    chuck said:

Baseman said:

Helms is a great lottery ticket. He's a far better athlete than the kid that just committed to OU and has a higher upside than Summerville.

I thought of Sterk and had to laugh at myself for giving Helms a thumbs up grade. I did the same for Sterk for basically the same reasons. He's a good athlete with plus speed for his size.

Sterk was stiff. Helms is not and may end up a real dude. Or not. Either way....
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Baseman said:

Bryce Sterk is on a NFL roster
    Seriously? I did not know that. Cool. He is a big, fast dude. He definitely had the physical characteristics.