Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The only thing that changed with LSU was two staff members... THAT IS IT.

2»

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    The guy went from completing 57% of his passes to the all time record. TD’s took a big jump. I’m sure Y/A did too. Everything massively improved. Nobody was talking about Burrow being an All American type. An above average to good QB at best.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Tequilla said:

Burrow’s going to be the #1 overall pick ... let’s see what they look like next year with likely a far less talented QB

Was Burrow that good or was he throwing Air Raid concepts to physically superior receivers?
    Tim Tebow wants to know.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Tequilla said:

Burrow’s going to be the #1 overall pick ... let’s see what they look like next year with likely a far less talented QB

Was Burrow that good or was he throwing Air Raid concepts to physically superior receivers?
    Abundance
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,489 Standard Supporter
    LSU had a tremendous season. That new OC clearly a difference maker. ATBS, sometimes, programs catch lightning in a bottle. Everything converges, by design or accident, in a particular point in time. I'm not crowning them anything beyond this Natty until that stuff does it again in 2020.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

Passing concepts trying to isolate mismatches have been around forever

At some point it comes down to the QB making the right decisions, making accurate throws, and receivers making plays to catch the ball
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

The guy went from completing 57% of his passes to the all time record. TD’s took a big jump. I’m sure Y/A did too. Everything massively improved. Nobody was talking about Burrow being an All American type. An above average to good QB at best.

Burrow was a 1st year starter last year getting his 1st meaningful snaps

Jumps aren’t unexpected ... but no doubt this was a huge one
  • dooginthehalldooginthehall Member Posts: 182

@RoadDawg55 "It’s pretty fascinating. I can’t recall a player improving so much in one year. was missing before? I don’t think coaching is the only thing"

John Ross III being a prime example. We moved him to DB because we didn't think he had what it took. Working out with Desean Jackson helped so coaching
    does matter but he put it together in ways that made him an entirely different player.

We're going to find out really fast how good Brady's scheme is. They'll have a new QB and lose some elite WR talent this season. Defensive Coordinators will spend all all season
    figuring out how to defend against LSU's scheme.

I think people that think coaches are of supreme importance are like the people that believe a good College Professor makes you smarter. In the end the individual is the one that
    must accept the tutelage and produce.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited January 2020

@RoadDawg55 "It’s pretty fascinating. I can’t recall a player improving so much in one year. was missing before? I don’t think coaching is the only thing"

John Ross III being a prime example. We moved him to DB because we didn't think he had what it took. Working out with Desean Jackson helped so coaching
    does matter but he put it together in ways that made him an entirely different player.

We're going to find out really fast how good Brady's scheme is. They'll have a new QB and lose some elite WR talent this season. Defensive Coordinators will spend all all season
    figuring out how to defend against LSU's scheme.

I think people that think coaches are of supreme importance are like the people that believe a good College Professor makes you smarter. In the end the individual is the one that
    must accept the tutelage and produce.

Ross was moved to DB because Peters was kicked off the team. The next two CB’s were Sidney Jones and Nate Dogg Jr. We had nobody. It was kind of stupid because Ross was by far our best player on offense before that. He just didn’t have a QB to get him the ball and we had a retarded offense. He was still good and would have been a weapon for most teams on offense.

Tore his knee the next spring and had like 16 months until the next season. Tons of time for a full recover. Probably 6 or 7 months where he was fully healthy. And we made coaching changes that definitely helped. Browning was a huge upgrade at QB too, OL was better, run game was better, and he shined. Pettis was also a lot better. He went from mediocre to star.

Good coaches and professors get their pupils engaged, they get confident, and they blossom. I’m academia, there are tons of stories about the light coming on for people in whatever grade because a teacher got them engaged and made material that used to be challenging, much easier. Sure it’s up to the individual, but that’s a retarded take. Not only was Burrows better, but every player on offense. The only thing that changed was the coaching.