Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Beer style of the week thread - Belgian Sour Ale Edition

2»

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,171
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

If any of you snow people ever head up to Baker, stop by North Fork Brewing and open your wallet. They have killer sours for such a podunk out of the way little brewery. They're awfully proud of them, though. Taught me to always ask for the price before the growler fill. "SIXTY-SEVEN DOLLARS!?"

That is a great little brewery.

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    Your hatred of Euro Fag beer causes me much befuddlement.
    #MeToo
    There's so much there. Disliking all sours is pretty understandable and common. Clean German and Austrian lagers and less clean Czech ones? Hybrids like Kolsch/Altbier? Hefeweizen? Belgian wit? The entire range of Belgians? Abundance? Janet Reno?

Sounds like a lot of haie in his life, but I'll repeat: To each their own.
    Cheers--
    I tried hard to like Belgians, to fit in you see. I've been to Monk's in Philly several times. I'd still probably dig Delerium Tremens. It's been so long I can't really remember the exact reasons why, but I think it's the yeast strains used. I don't like the banana-y esters or the bubblegummy flavors.

I can enjoy a good lager on occasion, same with an Alt or Kolsch. Alaskan Amber was my favorite beer for a long time. But I don't care for the malting style of the German dark beers.

Over time, I found what I enjoyed most are the English-originated styles. Porters, stouts, IPA, pales, and my GOATs, Imperial/Export Stouts.
    I had the @UW_Doog_Bot English IPA. It has some floaties in it but was very tasty.
    The yeast is good for you.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Bleh, sours all the rage right now and I have very little interest. Did you grow a handlebar mustache to improve the salty after taste?

I can't grow a mustache asshole.
    Norwegian solidarity my frend!

Vanilla being goody. Fixed.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,336
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020

If any of you snow people ever head up to Baker, stop by North Fork Brewing and open your wallet. They have killer sours for such a podunk out of the way little brewery. They're awfully proud of them, though. Taught me to always ask for the price before the growler fill. "SIXTY-SEVEN DOLLARS!?"

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo
    There's so much there. Disliking all sours is pretty understandable and common. Clean German and Austrian lagers and less clean Czech ones? Hybrids like Kolsch/Altbier? Hefeweizen? Belgian wit? The entire range of Belgians? Abundance? Janet Reno?

Cheers--
    I tried hard to like Belgians, to fit in you see. I've been to Monk's in Philly several times. I'd still probably dig Delerium Tremens. It's been so long I can't really remember the exact reasons why, but I think it's the yeast strains used. I don't like the banana-y esters or the bubblegummy flavors.

I can enjoy a good lager on occasion, same with an Alt or Kolsch. Alaskan Amber was my favorite beer for a long time. But I don't care for the malting style of the German dark beers.

Over time, I found what I enjoyed most are the English-originated styles. Porters, stouts, IPA, pales, and my GOATs, Imperial/Export Stouts.
    Could have typed this myself. My Belgian phase was more because I liked them (and hated money) than to fit in (fitting in would be PBR at that time). funny you mention Delirium Tremens. Ever had the Nocturnum? I swear they drug that stuff. First two I attempted to drink--attempted--resulted in me forgetting I was drinking before the bottle was empty and getting into some giddy shenanigans that may or may not have involved public nudity. In fact, I believe the second one resulted in scaling a building downtown and getting a blowie on the roof. I also liked Unibroue's stuff, particularly the Trois Pistoles. Abt. 12 from St. Bernardus was also up there.

Nowadays, I rarely touch the Belgian stuff, mostly because I'm a poor and have drawn a hard line in the sand on how much I'm willing to pay for a bottle of beer. Which leaves plenty of room for my go-to dark beers. There are just too many amazing porters and stouts that at $10/sixer to be spending $12 for a 750 of Abt. 12. Lately, just based off of what's in the grocery store at the moment, I usually pick up whatever's on sale between:

Fremont Dark Star
    Worthy Lights Out Stout
    Black Raven Coco Jones
    Sierra Nevada Narwhal Stout (if on sale)
    No-Li Wrecking Ball Stout (if on sale)
    North Coast Old Rasputin (if on mega sale)
    Or I head a few blocks away to my brother's house, where he has a keg of Icicle's Dark Persuasion (fucking love this stuff) on nitro.

There's a non-dark beer I've been going through at an embarrassing rate lately, and that is New Belgium's Nitro Cold Brew Cream Ale. 5%, light, chuggable: PERFECT shop beer. Haven't made a straight cut since discovering it...

/csb
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,407
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

@BleachedAnusDawg @ThomasFremont @CFetters_Nacho_Lover ??

Thanks Bleached Anus Doog on the tip on Cantillon. So this is the one I've been into lately. It's always in stock at Whole Foods and darn tasty.

That’s a good one. However, in recent tastings it was a lot sweeter than I remember. Lowered my score somewhat.

This is my jam...

chinned for the attractive bottle
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo

Cheers--

I had the @UW_Doog_Bot English IPA. It has some floaties in it but was very tasty.
    The yeast is good for you.
    And this is surprisingly true. At least for Belgians. Good probiotics for your gut.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo

Cheers--

Could have typed this myself. My Belgian phase was more because I liked them (and hated money) than to fit in (fitting in would be PBR at that time). funny you mention Delirium Tremens. Ever had the Nocturnum? I swear they drug that stuff. First two I attempted to drink--attempted--resulted in me forgetting I was drinking before the bottle was empty and getting into some giddy shenanigans that may or may not have involved public nudity. In fact, I believe the second one resulted in scaling a building downtown and getting a blowie on the roof. I also liked Unibroue's stuff, particularly the Trois Pistoles. Abt. 12 from St. Bernardus was also up there.

Nowadays, I rarely touch the Belgian stuff, mostly because I'm a poor and have drawn a hard line in the sand on how much I'm willing to pay for a bottle of beer. Which leaves plenty of room for my go-to dark beers. There are just too many amazing porters and stouts that at $10/sixer to be spending $12 for a 750 of Abt. 12. Lately, just based off of what's in the grocery store at the moment, I usually pick up whatever's on sale between:

Fremont Dark Star
    Worthy Lights Out Stout
    Black Raven Coco Jones
    Or I head a few blocks away to my brother's house, where he has a keg of Icicle's Dark Persuasion (fucking love this stuff) on nitro.

There's a non-dark beer I've been going through at an embarrassing rate lately, and that is New Belgium's Nitro Cold Brew Cream Ale. 5%, light, chuggable: PERFECT shop beer. Haven't made a straight cut since discovering it...

/csb
    IFL Fremont Dark Star. So thick and syrupy.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo

Cheers--

Fremont Dark Star
    Worthy Lights Out Stout
    Black Raven Coco Jones

/csb
    Rasputin used to be my go-to internet shit talk fuel. Excellent chit. My favorite RIS/HiGrav stouts are Deschutes Abyss and Stone's Russian, which I haven't seen a while. About 15 years ago, there was one made in Roseburg of all places that was shockingly good. I think that brewery lasted about 18 months unfortunately.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo

Cheers--

Fremont Dark Star
    Worthy Lights Out Stout
    Black Raven Coco Jones

/csb
    Rasputin used to be my go-to internet shit talk fuel. Excellent chit. My favorite RIS/HiGrav stouts are Deschutes Abyss and Stone's Russian, which I haven't seen a while. About 15 years ago, there was one made in Roseburg of all places that was shockingly good. I think that brewery lasted about 18 months unfortunately.
    Stone IRS with ~3 years on it used to be my favorite beer. Rasputin is always a classic and more often than not The Abyss is excellent. Does Founders make it to you? - their imperial stout (plain, not KBS or CBS) is my go-to if'n I don't have of my own available.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo

Cheers--

Fremont Dark Star
    Worthy Lights Out Stout
    Black Raven Coco Jones

/csb
    Stone IRS with ~3 years on it used to be my favorite beer. Rasputin is always a classic and more often than not The Abyss is excellent. Does Founders make it to you? - their imperial stout (plain, not KBS or CBS) is my go-to if'n I don't have of my own available.
    When I was in my digging for obscure beers phase, Founders was not available around here.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Founders has only been in WA for the last year or so.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,336
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah, we've got Founders. I like their stuff.

The Abyss used to be my absolute favorite beer. Now it's all bourbon barrel aged (and $20 a bottle), so I haven't had one in a long time. Before The Abyss, my favorites were Pike XXXXX and, even more so, Hales Pikop Andropov because they were the darkest, heaviest, most ass-kicking stouts I could find.

Fun story about Pikop Andropov: Big group camping trip out on the coast. I stop by Hales and pick up a keg of the stuff to bring along. This stuff was like drinking 9% delicious tar, and we're all pounding it like crazy. By about midnight, I was shitting black. A couple hours later? I was shitting Pikop Andropov. Looked exactly the same coming out as it did coming in, only the smell was so foul that it made normal shit smell like perfume. And we're ALL just running to the little pit toilet, shitting black, and crying from the stench of the place. I'm betting many a tent were just thrown away after that trip... Lesson learned: Imperial stouts are one of the best beers for every occasion except heavy all night drinking.

If you ever get a chance, and you like Rasputin, a visit to North Coast is totally worth it. Their fruited Berliner Weisses are fantastic, Rasputin on nitro, and they always have special one-off things only available there. And for what it's worth, the stretch of Highway 1 from where it forks off 101 to Fort Bragg is the craziest stretch of road I've ever driven. Had the ol' minivan's tires squealing in almost every corner! This was a stop on family vacation a couple of summers ago: For the kids, it was a drive down the Oregon coast, down to Fort Bragg, then east to my dad's place near Tahoe. For us? One rule: Every lunch and dinner of the whole trip at a different brewery (ended up being 12 total). Pretty sweet trip, and the brewery that caught us most by surprise (in a good way) was 7 Devils in Coos Bay.

/yet more csbs
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Last tim I did the Deschutes Brewery tour, they pretty much gave me ass much Abyss as I wanted at the end in the tasting room. Got decently loaded on amazing beer for zero dollars.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Last tim I did the Deschutes Brewery tour, they pretty much gave me ass much Abyss as I wanted at the end in the tasting room. Got decently loaded on amazing beer for zero dollars.

I remember my drinking Mirror Pond pale ale over looking the Mirror Pond phase.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,076
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

If one is ever inclined to drink in the Spokane Valley.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo

Cheers--

Fremont Dark Star
    Worthy Lights Out Stout
    Black Raven Coco Jones

/csb
    IFL Fremont Dark Star. So thick and syrupy.
    Fremont BBA Spice Wars may be my favorite dark beer. Regular Dark Star is also great. I have 30+ bottles of barrel aged stuff aging right now. Really looking forward to opening the various Big Bad Baptist releases.