Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Beer style of the week thread - Belgian Sour Ale Edition

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,171
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited January 2020 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe
@BleachedAnusDawg @ThomasFremont @CFetters_Nacho_Lover ??

Thanks Bleached Anus Doog on the tip on Cantillon. So this is the one I've been into lately. It's always in stock at Whole Foods and darn tasty.

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2020

Thanks Bleached Anus Doog on the tip on Cantillon. So this is the one I've been into lately. It's always in stock at Whole Foods and darn tasty.

That’s a good one. However, in recent tastings it was a lot sweeter than I remember. Lowered my score somewhat.

This is my jam...

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

That’s a good one. However, in recent tastings it was a lot sweeter than I remember. Lowered my score somewhat.

This is my jam...

It didn't seem overly sweet to me, but I need to side by side with some other ones.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

If any of you snow people ever head up to Baker, stop by North Fork Brewing and open your wallet. They have killer sours for such a podunk out of the way little brewery. They're awfully proud of them, though. Taught me to always ask for the price before the growler fill. "SIXTY-SEVEN DOLLARS!?"

If I lived in Bellingham I'd ski there a lot. But fuck that is a hike.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

If any of you snow people ever head up to Baker, stop by North Fork Brewing and open your wallet. They have killer sours for such a podunk out of the way little brewery. They're awfully proud of them, though. Taught me to always ask for the price before the growler fill. "SIXTY-SEVEN DOLLARS!?"

That is a great little brewery.

ATBS, I loathe sours.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    Your hatred of Euro Fag beer causes me much befuddlement.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Love a nice sour, but the Duchess is bit too much red wine vinegar for me. Bit sweet I don't mind; I've got other stuff when looking for something dry.
    More of a fan of Flanders Brown/Oud Bruin, like Goudenband, that I sometimes mix with a semi-sweet tart cherry mead to make a killer sour fruit beer.
    Basically, lactic acid is great, acetic acid at high levels is more LikeWeSay...No.gif for me. To each their own.
    Cheers--
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Love a nice sour, but the Duchess is bit too much red wine vinegar for me. Bit sweet I don't mind; I've got other stuff when looking for something dry.
    More of a fan of Flanders Brown/Oud Bruin, like Goudenband, that I sometimes mix with a semi-sweet tart cherry mead to make a killer sour fruit beer.
    Basically, lactic acid is great, acetic acid at high levels is more LikeWeSay...No.gif for me. To each their own.
    Cheers--

IFL vinegar!!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Cheers--

IFL vinegar!!
    On its own, sure. But there's some places I do anything to avoid it. I doubt I'll ever love Spanish sidra (cider), for instance, but some of the dry Basque stuff may be right up your alley with funk and acetic. Apple cider vinegar is the natural step it wants to from alcohol, so I work hard to keep it out.

I've had pears with a hint of it right off the tree, so a small amount in my Perry is fine. And it's already produced during fermentation; basically a flavor positive until I can immediately notice it.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Cheers--

IFL vinegar!!
    On its own, sure. But there's some places I do anything to avoid it. I doubt I'll ever love Spanish sidra (cider), for instance, but some of the dry Basque stuff may be right up your alley with funk and acetic. Apple cider vinegar is the natural step it wants to from alcohol, so I work hard to keep it out.

I've had pears with a hint of it right off the tree, so a small amount in my Perry is fine. And it's already produced during fermentation; basically a flavor positive until I can immediately notice it.
    I'm definitely not a cidre guy and please don't take offense at that.

Still finding my way on the Belgian sours and am by no means an expurt. My palate seems to gravitate towards the really sour ones for some reason.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo
    There's so much there. Disliking all sours is pretty understandable and common. Clean German and Austrian lagers and less clean Czech ones? Hybrids like Kolsch/Altbier? Hefeweizen? Belgian wit? The entire range of Belgians? Abundance? Janet Reno?

Sounds like a lot of haie in his life, but I'll repeat: To each their own.
    Cheers--
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo
    There's so much there. Disliking all sours is pretty understandable and common. Clean German and Austrian lagers and less clean Czech ones? Hybrids like Kolsch/Altbier? Hefeweizen? Belgian wit? The entire range of Belgians? Abundance? Janet Reno?

Cheers--
    I tried hard to like Belgians, to fit in you see. I've been to Monk's in Philly several times. I'd still probably dig Delerium Tremens. It's been so long I can't really remember the exact reasons why, but I think it's the yeast strains used. I don't like the banana-y esters or the bubblegummy flavors.

I can enjoy a good lager on occasion, same with an Alt or Kolsch. Alaskan Amber was my favorite beer for a long time. But I don't care for the malting style of the German dark beers.

Over time, I found what I enjoyed most are the English-originated styles. Porters, stouts, IPA, pales, and my GOATs, Imperial/Export Stouts.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Cheers--

#Neko4AllOccasions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRHf4SMRfGo
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Have not had that one. I'll have to give it a try.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,396
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bleh, sours all the rage right now and I have very little interest. Did you grow a handlebar mustache to improve the salty after taste?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,396
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020

Bleh, sours all the rage right now and I have very little interest. Did you grow a handlebar mustache to improve the salty after taste?

I can't grow a mustache asshole.
    Norwegian solidarity my frend!

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo

Cheers--
    I tried hard to like Belgians, to fit in you see. I've been to Monk's in Philly several times. I'd still probably dig Delerium Tremens. It's been so long I can't really remember the exact reasons why, but I think it's the yeast strains used. I don't like the banana-y esters or the bubblegummy flavors.

I can enjoy a good lager on occasion, same with an Alt or Kolsch. Alaskan Amber was my favorite beer for a long time. But I don't care for the malting style of the German dark beers.

Over time, I found what I enjoyed most are the English-originated styles. Porters, stouts, IPA, pales, and my GOATs, Imperial/Export Stouts.
    I had the @UW_Doog_Bot English IPA. It has some floaties in it but was very tasty.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

ATBS, I loathe sours.
    #MeToo

Cheers--

I had the @UW_Doog_Bot English IPA. It has some floaties in it but was very tasty.
    The yeast is good for you.