Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2020]

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,912
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2020
    Interesting takes by Eddie. Hopefullythe coaches have the same take and replace "somebody"

-On shutting Oregon State down after halftime, Ulofoshio said they realized they were getting gashed and that it was "somebody's fault" and that they needed to make the adjustments and they needed to follow the coaches' directions and make the adjustments on the field
    -Ulofoishio noted that they just needed to do their job as far as stopping Oregon State's running game. He said they were "getting creased" by the Beavers and that it wasn't a scheme thing, but more guys not doing their jobs and that's something they had to focus on in the second half and as they continue to get ready for Arizona
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,276
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

After the game Lake mentioned that the offense can change its focus week to week, and they’re going to lean on whatever weakness the other team has.

I remember hearing an OSU beat writer mentioning that they were thin at DT and that the heaviest guy they had was 285.

My guess is that with the rain, with a RS Frosh QB, and with an inexperienced but large OL, Lake wanted to really focus on controlling the game and hammer OSU’s biggest weakness and build confidence in the OL.

Not sure if that means he will air it out against teams with shit secondaries, but I’m interested in how game plans change from week to week.

I read somewhere that two of JD's better players from back in the day complimented him by saying that JD's strength was the changeable nature of his offensive game plan to scheme to take advantage of the personnel he had to work with and to adapt the offense to attack the weakness of the defense they were playing that week ~ which when you think about it is how you would compliment an OC if you intended to, but the players were impressed with JD's adeptness to change up from week to week.
    It was a quote from a Vanderbilt lineman Caple wrote about earlier.

Here is the direct quote for the pours that don’t subscribe:

Wesley Johnson, who played for Donovan as an offensive lineman at Vanderbilt: “I always thought if I ever coached offense, my playbook would reflect his, because it allows the flexibility to kind of do whatever you want, based on your players. There were some games where we would spread it out and we would pass a lot. There were some games where we ran it 40 to 50 times.”
    If you can't trust a Vanderbilt OL, who can you trust?
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Interesting takes by Eddie. Hopefullythe coaches have the same take and replace "somebody"

-On shutting Oregon State down after halftime, Ulofoshio said they realized they were getting gashed and that it was "somebody's fault" and that they needed to make the adjustments and they needed to follow the coaches' directions and make the adjustments on the field
    -Ulofoishio noted that they just needed to do their job as far as stopping Oregon State's running game. He said they were "getting creased" by the Beavers and that it wasn't a scheme thing, but more guys not doing their jobs and that's something they had to focus on in the second half and as they continue to get ready for Arizona

Exactly. Sounds like Kwat and Lake had the right adjustments but the players weren’t executing. A little bit of the trying too hard to make a play instead of staying in your assignment.

“In terms of OSU, they were making creases against us because either I wouldn’t stay in my gap or another person wouldn’t stay in their gap. And they would make creases because we’re trying to make a play, and you shed but your responsibility is his gap. Like when I say discipline it’s like discipline in trusting that your guys can do their job and you’re going to do your job. Trusting each other. That’s what I mean by discipline. That was the adjustment, ‘do your job’.”

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Exactly. Sounds like Kwat and Lake had the right adjustments but the players weren’t executing. A little bit of the trying too hard to make a play instead of staying in your assignment.

“In terms of OSU, they were making creases against us because either I wouldn’t stay in my gap or another person wouldn’t stay in their gap. And they would make creases because we’re trying to make a play, and you shed but your responsibility is his gap. Like when I say discipline it’s like discipline in trusting that your guys can do their job and you’re going to do your job. Trusting each other. That’s what I mean by discipline. That was the adjustment, ‘do your job’.”

Yeah smalls got caught getting crumpled inside a lot and the DTs couldn’t hold the point of attack all that well...

There is no scheme that can cover up personnel difficulties if Asa and whoever else is playing LB next to uolofoshioio is on the field.

BUT, Irregardless of the mute point the scheme was two deep safeties and let the middle of the defense get ripped apart by the run... not sure what they are talking about
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,585
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2020

After the game Lake mentioned that the offense can change its focus week to week, and they’re going to lean on whatever weakness the other team has.

I remember hearing an OSU beat writer mentioning that they were thin at DT and that the heaviest guy they had was 285.

My guess is that with the rain, with a RS Frosh QB, and with an inexperienced but large OL, Lake wanted to really focus on controlling the game and hammer OSU’s biggest weakness and build confidence in the OL.

Not sure if that means he will air it out against teams with shit secondaries, but I’m interested in how game plans change from week to week.

I read somewhere that two of JD's better players from back in the day complimented him by saying that JD's strength was the changeable nature of his offensive game plan to scheme to take advantage of the personnel he had to work with and to adapt the offense to attack the weakness of the defense they were playing that week ~ which when you think about it is how you would compliment an OC if you intended to, but the players were impressed with JD's adeptness to change up from week to week.

Wesley Johnson, who played for Donovan as an offensive lineman at Vanderbilt: “I always thought if I ever coached offense, my playbook would reflect his, because it allows the flexibility to kind of do whatever you want, based on your players. There were some games where we would spread it out and we would pass a lot. There were some games where we ran it 40 to 50 times.”
    Yah, I did see that as well, but the article I'm referencing was an interview with Jordan Mathews and he was discussing how JD was creative in scheming him open-open week to week along with feeding Zach Stacy at the same time.

He laughed and said at the time he thought it was all him, that he was just killing it by beating the coverage, and it wasn't until he was a 3rd year pro that he realized that the scheme was as effective as it was in helping him be open such a high percentage of the time.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,925
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Yah, I did see that as well, but the article I'm referencing was an interview with Jordan Mathews and he was discussing how JD was creative in scheming him open-open week to week along with feeding Zach Stacy at the same time.

He laughed and said at the time he thought it was all him, that he was just killing it by beating the coverage, and it wasn't until he was a 3rd year pro that he realized that the scheme was as effective as it was in helping him be open such a high percentage of the time.
    That was part of the same article.
  • Options
    Woof said:

In general I love the scheme, and the results have been fantastic, I just wish that Kwat would tinker a bit more a few times a game.

When we are playing against a subpar QB that can't throw the ball, maybe switch to single high safety once or twice and throw in a run blitz. On our pass blitzes, don't send Eddie/Sirmon straight into the center. It is a bit boring to watch because it feels a bit repetitive and it's built to get the other team behind the chains. I also get that we don't quite have the playmakers on D at the moment that we need, I just want a little bit more swagger and variety at times. First world problems, I know.

These are all reasonable requests. I believe Lake and Kwat are willing to make adjustments team to team and half to half, but all within the context of not letting up the explosive plays.

I’m too dumb to know what those adjustments are, but I doubt you can have a consistent top 15 scoring defense year in and year out without being willing to adjust and modify.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,120
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Houhusky said:

Yeah smalls got caught getting crumpled inside a lot and the DTs couldn’t hold the point of attack all that well...

There is no scheme that can cover up personnel difficulties if Asa and whoever else is playing LB next to uolofoshioio is on the field.

BUT, Irregardless of the mute point the scheme was two deep safeties and let the middle of the defense get ripped apart by the run... not sure what they are talking about
    I’m surprised I’m surprised that people keep talking about being frustrated by the two deep safeties scheme with the safeties nearly off the tv screen. That is the same scheme UW has been running for years. It’s Kwats main strategy, don’t give up explosive plays. Force the opposing offense to sustain long drives without making mistakes.

It’s driven people nuts for years, bend but don’t break, lack of safety run support, etc etc etc.

All it’s done was lead the league in defense multiple years in a row and still be top 15 in the country last year despite 10 new starters. It’s effective, even if it’s hair pulling.

Even Saturday, 14 points because the Beavers weren’t able to sustain drive after drive after drive. They did it a couple times, but not enough.
    We gave up 252 yards. The run defense was ugly, but if we gave up 252 yards per game we would rank very high in total defense. After one game it’s 3rd this year.

The run defense needs to be better but we have a great secondary and we got to the QB a few times.
    Interestingly enough, I started drinking early tonight and wanted to watch a replay of the game. I had this weird feeling of the defense not being that bad on Saturday, while at the same time remember busted run after busted run. Throw in the general replies of how bad the defense was here and I was left mixed.

I just finished and came here to poast what I saw:

Total numbers look nice off the top. 252 total, 85 passing, 167 rushing. Also just 23 minutes of possession, 4-12 3rd down conversion, and 1-3 4th down conversion.

As you mentioned @RoadDawg55, that’s 3rd for yards per game, 6th in yards per play, and 7th in points allowed (the 14 the defense allowed anyway).

But the biggest concern was the run defense and the chunk plays. After watching it again, it wasn’t nearly as bad as it seemed.

Of the 167 total rushing yards the Beavers had, 131 of those came on 2 drives. The other 7 drives only netted 36 rushing yards. 5 yards per drive.

After Edefuan’s comments about a couple of drives having guys not sticking to their assignments and trusting what the coaches were telling them, it makes me feel more optimistic in what I was seeing. It’s disheartening to watch a team slice through your defense like a hot knife on two long drives with big chunk plays, but it seems clear to me it wasn’t a systemic issue that can’t be fixed.

What is more concerning to me was why there was such a lack of rotation in the defense. With Taki and Latu out, the only regular subs I saw was Tuitele on the line, Tuputala at ILB, and Smalls at Buck. That is not typical of a Kwat defense. Not sure if he was protecting the freshman or what, but it gives me hesitation.
    Yep. Taki and Bronson were sucking wind. After all the praise Bandes and Tuitele have gotten, why didn’t they rotate in more?
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,585
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2020
    Yah my only criticism was that I wanted to see less Bronson and more of the young guys on the DL. I get that Bronson is experienced but he isn't the presence and physical stature of some of the younger guys and we have a lot of depth. With Tuli out, we really need the young guys to produce. Seemed like this was one of the games to do that. And really, what is the issue with Latu... someone can PM tell me and I won't pass it on...
  • Options

Houhusky said:

I’m surprised I’m surprised that people keep talking about being frustrated by the two deep safeties scheme with the safeties nearly off the tv screen. That is the same scheme UW has been running for years. It’s Kwats main strategy, don’t give up explosive plays. Force the opposing offense to sustain long drives without making mistakes.

It’s driven people nuts for years, bend but don’t break, lack of safety run support, etc etc etc.

All it’s done was lead the league in defense multiple years in a row and still be top 15 in the country last year despite 10 new starters. It’s effective, even if it’s hair pulling.

Even Saturday, 14 points because the Beavers weren’t able to sustain drive after drive after drive. They did it a couple times, but not enough.

Case in point, they lead this category every year.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Yah my only criticism was that I wanted to see less Bronson and more of the young guys on the DL. I get that Bronson is experienced but he isn't the presence and physical stature of some of the younger guys and we have a lot of depth. With Tuli out, we really need the young guys to produce. Seemed like this was one of the games to do that. And really, what is the issue with Latu... someone can PM tell me and I won't pass it on...

I don’t think there is any intel on Latu. He’s hurt along with Tuli. Lake isn’t going to comment on injuries. Eklund said they are out for the year.
    Bronson was good in first two series.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Woof said:

In general I love the scheme, and the results have been fantastic, I just wish that Kwat would tinker a bit more a few times a game.

When we are playing against a subpar QB that can't throw the ball, maybe switch to single high safety once or twice and throw in a run blitz. On our pass blitzes, don't send Eddie/Sirmon straight into the center. It is a bit boring to watch because it feels a bit repetitive and it's built to get the other team behind the chains. I also get that we don't quite have the playmakers on D at the moment that we need, I just want a little bit more swagger and variety at times. First world problems, I know.

These are all reasonable requests. I believe Lake and Kwat are willing to make adjustments team to team and half to half, but all within the context of not letting up the explosive plays.

I’m too dumb to know what those adjustments are, but I doubt you can have a consistent top 15 scoring defense year in and year out without being willing to adjust and modify.
    Are you their spokesperson?