Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2020]

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,571
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Didn't we? entirely loose Hawaii under Lambo?
    Jim was an alcoholic father figure at the Aloha Bowl
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,743
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Doogles said:

dnc said:
    Absolute proof and a reminder that 99 times out of a 100, Goliath Stomps David's ass. Peterson bet on David way too often.
    We aren’t David. We put tons of guys in the NFL. When we were David, we went 12-2 and played Bama. We got worse as we got more Goliath’s (mostly overrated, low 4 star recruits). If you expect UW to out recruit Ohio State, you’re going to be forever disappointed.
    I was thinking about the Bama game roster the other day and in retrospect it was pretty fucking loaded.

The big flaw in the level up logic of the 4star ratio automatically making us better was downplaying the actual talent of the 3star guys on the field that year.

The argument was something like “we’re this good with Sydney Jones and Kevin King, imagine what we can do with (insert 4 star recruits)”

Ballz was adamant we should never recruit guys like that moving forward because they weren’t “elite”. At a certain point, good is good.

The entire defense (outside of Psalm who honorably chose a professional rugby career) was drafted into the NFL.

Offense had 3 NFL receivers (including the fastest guy in NFL history), 2NFL TE, NFL RB, and at least 3 NFL lineman suited up.

Game was lost on the sidelines, just like all the big games were.
    But we were never again gonna get those kinda results out of recruits stolen from OSU and Boise. It was a struck by lightning scenario. We needed to level up just to keep the momentum going let alone actually get to the next level.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,483
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

dnc said:
    Absolute proof and a reminder that 99 times out of a 100, Goliath Stomps David's ass. Peterson bet on David way too often.
    We aren’t David. We put tons of guys in the NFL. When we were David, we went 12-2 and played Bama. We got worse as we got more Goliath’s (mostly overrated, low 4 star recruits). If you expect UW to out recruit Ohio State, you’re going to be forever disappointed.
    I was thinking about the Bama game roster the other day and in retrospect it was pretty fucking loaded.

The big flaw in the level up logic of the 4star ratio automatically making us better was downplaying the actual talent of the 3star guys on the field that year.

The argument was something like “we’re this good with Sydney Jones and Kevin King, imagine what we can do with (insert 4 star recruits)”

Ballz was adamant we should never recruit guys like that moving forward because they weren’t “elite”. At a certain point, good is good.

The entire defense (outside of Psalm who honorably chose a professional rugby career) was drafted into the NFL.

Offense had 3 NFL receivers (including the fastest guy in NFL history), 2NFL TE, NFL RB, and at least 3 NFL lineman suited up.

But we were never again gonna get those kinda results out of recruits stolen from OSU and Boise. It was a struck by lightning scenario. We needed to level up just to keep the momentum going let alone actually get to the next level.
    I’m not arguing on leveling up recruiting being a bad thing, just the idea that we were automatically going to be better as Washington 2.0 because the new guys were higher ranked.

The players were at the “level” that year. The coaches weren’t on game day.

It’s always going to be a lightning strike scenario for Washington. We need a BillyJoe/Tui/Deshaun Watson type QB plus a 2016ish roster. That’s about as talented as it gets here.

That’s why Pete’s tenure is so frustrating, he consistently had us right there and odds are he would have broken through eventually but he lost his love for the game and the team fell off.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,364
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2020

Doogles said:

dnc said:

Roster was good but it was the depth. Not having Mathis and pre-injury Victor killed us on D...BBK was the replacement at 200lbs at the time and got run over consistently because of it. On offense you had to start a 260 lb true freshman RG because you didn’t have anything else and that caused a ton of problems.
    Your point is overall correct, but one detail deserves correction: For starters, 2016 was BBK's worst season, IMO, because that was the year he got too big too fast and lost his speed (can we abbreviate that into a new verb moving forward? I nominate "FSPing it"). So he was up closer to 215 that year. Moot point, though, because it was Beavers who came in for Victor in 2016, and, although he was no Victor (count on one hand guys who were 2016 Victor in Husky history), he balled the fuck out that season in reserve. Really pleasant surprise. My recollection of the Bama game was that there was maybe a play or two that Victor would have made that Beavers didn't. It wasn't a huge gap. Your point stands, though: Having Victor AND Beavers playing like that behind him is how you win big games like that.

It was surprising at the tim, considering how dominant and intimidating Victor was, but Mathis turned out to be the far bigger loss from that defense, as there was just nobody behind him who was close to that level.

/President of BBK fan club (pre-haircut, of course)
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

dnc said:

I’m not arguing on leveling up recruiting being a bad thing, just the idea that we were automatically going to be better as Washington 2.0 because the new guys were higher ranked.

It’s always going to be a lightning strike scenario for Washington. We need a BillyJoe/Tui/Deshaun Watson type QB plus a 2016ish roster. That’s about as talented as it gets here.

That’s why Pete’s tenure is so frustrating, he consistently had us right there and odds are he would have broken through eventually but he lost his love for the game and the team fell off.

“If Junior Adams can do that with Cooper Kupp, imagine what he could do with better recruits.” I’ve seen this posted here and on Twitter before.

I’ve always said, obvious elite guys are important. After that, ignore the star ratings. There are so many mid to low four star recruits that are ranked that high for simply playing well at 7 on 7 camps, playing on good high school teams, playing with other elite talent, and being ranked high in the initial rankings.

UW will never be top 5-10 in recruiting for many reasons. We haven’t historically won at a high enough level. Our in state base is good, but not great. Then we compete with tons of schools in California. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Texas, LSU, Florida, Florida State, Miami... All of them are in areas with a lot more talent. They may have more completion, but Washington/Oregon/Idaho don’t have even a 1/4 of the talent all of those regions have.

Get top 15 classes, evaluate your ass off, and develop. Also get a top flight QB like Huard to give you a chance when you are out talented.

We lost quite a few games the past few years that had a lot more to do with coaching error and playing shitty than talent. Both Oregon losses, both Cal losses, Stanford, Colorado. ASU in 2017.

Some think of how good we would have been in 2016-2018 with better talent. I think of how good we would have been with a better offensive system and a better QB. We will never have the talent to simply beat others by showing up.
    I don't know what part of Pete's OKG philosophy caused him to put such a premium on practice performance when his starting WRs could not perform at game time and clearly were not giving maximum effort. The piss-poor WR playing decisions killed the UW offense not just because of a lack of talent, but the obvious negative impact on the Offense's confidence in their coaches and teammates.

There's only so long players can take the empty promises of "we'll put the tape on and work hard to see what 'adjustments' we need to make." If the fanbase was tired of hearing that empty, hopeless coaching plan, after each inexcusable loss or shitty O performance, imagine being a starter on the offensive side of the ball. Obviously, from the blank stares, deep breaths and looks of complete frustration we saw from many offensive players after another three-and-out, the team's offensive confidence was reduced to "I'll believe it when I see it, but I don't trust the coaches or my fellow players anymore." That's the recipe for never getting over the hump and winning the big games, and I pray to God that all through Pete's tenure, Jimmy was seething inside at the terrible game-time decisions and Pete's ever-growing delusions about who deserved to play.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    edited April 2020
    I don't know what part of Pete's OKG philosophy caused him to put such a premium on practice performance when his starting WRs could not perform at game time and clearly were not giving maximum effort. The piss-poor WR playing decisions killed the UW offense not just because of a lack of talent, but the obvious negative impact on the Offense's confidence in their coaches and teammates.

There's only so long players can take the empty promises of "we'll put the tape on and work hard to see what 'adjustments' we need to make." If the fanbase was tired of hearing that empty, hopeless coaching plan, after each inexcusable loss or shitty O performance, imagine being a starter on the offensive side of the ball. Obviously, from the blank stares, deep breaths and looks of complete frustration we saw from many offensive players after another three-and-out, the team's offensive confidence was reduced to "I'll believe it when I see it, but I don't trust the coaches or my fellow players anymore." That's the recipe for never getting over the hump and winning the big games, and I pray to God that all through Pete's tenure, Jimmy was seething inside at the terrible game-time decisions and Pete's ever-growing delusions about who deserved to play.

--------

This I also wonder...why didn't Pete simply adjust his equation to include a variable for in-game production...if someone's practice, playbook studying, schoolwork, attitude variables were all off the charts that's great, but if he had included a variable for in-game production that could have opened the door to making some adjustments.

Anyway, doesn't matter now since Pete decided that it's too annoying to be the head football coach at a top tier school.
  • Options
    The short version is this: Pete didn't keep it real, and it hurt his team's performance. Lying to oneself while prioritizing loyalty and effort over actual in-game execution was his downfall. I hope Jimmy is burning inside to finally change that lasting image.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

dnc said:

“If Junior Adams can do that with Cooper Kupp, imagine what he could do with better recruits.” I’ve seen this posted here and on Twitter before.

I’ve always said, obvious elite guys are important. After that, ignore the star ratings. There are so many mid to low four star recruits that are ranked that high for simply playing well at 7 on 7 camps, playing on good high school teams, playing with other elite talent, and being ranked high in the initial rankings.

UW will never be top 5-10 in recruiting for many reasons. We haven’t historically won at a high enough level. Our in state base is good, but not great. Then we compete with tons of schools in California. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Texas, LSU, Florida, Florida State, Miami... All of them are in areas with a lot more talent. They may have more completion, but Washington/Oregon/Idaho don’t have even a 1/4 of the talent all of those regions have.

Get top 15 classes, evaluate your ass off, and develop. Also get a top flight QB like Huard to give you a chance when you are out talented.

We lost quite a few games the past few years that had a lot more to do with coaching error and playing shitty than talent. Both Oregon losses, both Cal losses, Stanford, Colorado. ASU in 2017.

Some think of how good we would have been in 2016-2018 with better talent. I think of how good we would have been with a better offensive system and a better QB. We will never have the talent to simply beat others by showing up.

I've heard quite a few times that Fuller did as little as possible in the weight room and on the practice field. Really makes me question the rationale for playing him when he stunk his SR year
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

dnc said:

I've heard quite a few times that Fuller did as little as possible in the weight room and on the practice field. Really makes me question the rationale for playing him when he stunk his SR year
    Well that cements it then. He had lewd pics of Pete. End of story.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,957
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Doogles said:

dnc said:

Roster was good but it was the depth. Not having Mathis and pre-injury Victor killed us on D...BBK was the replacement at 200lbs at the time and got run over consistently because of it. On offense you had to start a 260 lb true freshman RG because you didn’t have anything else and that caused a ton of problems.
    Your point is overall correct, but one detail deserves correction: For starters, 2016 was BBK's worst season, IMO, because that was the year he got too big too fast and lost his speed (can we abbreviate that into a new verb moving forward? I nominate "FSPing it"). So he was up closer to 215 that year. Moot point, though, because it was Beavers who came in for Victor in 2016, and, although he was no Victor (count on one hand guys who were 2016 Victor in Husky history), he balled the fuck out that season in reserve. Really pleasant surprise. My recollection of the Bama game was that there was maybe a play or two that Victor would have made that Beavers didn't. It wasn't a huge gap. Your point stands, though: Having Victor AND Beavers playing like that behind him is how you win big games like that.

It was surprising at the tim, considering how dominant and intimidating Victor was, but Mathis turned out to be the far bigger loss from that defense, as there was just nobody behind him who was close to that level.

/President of BBK fan club (pre-haircut, of course)
    Overall agree but we really missed Victor for that game...he was the only LB we had with legit size...Scarborough averaged something like 10 yards a carry running basically up the middle because we didn’t have another LB that could handle him...if our DL didn’t tackle him he carried a LB on his back until one of the safeties got there to tackle him.. Remember there being a 3rd and long play in the 2nd half Scarborough blew up our LB for a long run and thinking there was no way that would have happened with Victor. We were fortunate they kept running dumb misdirection plays instead of just running it up the middle over and over.

And God bless Nick Harris for not letting that game ruin his career...that wasn’t fair to him to have him out there but they didn’t have anyone else.