Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why I'm excited, and why you might also be excited for 2020!

Comments

• Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,246
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2019

Whoosh on kalepo. But in reality he has a long way to go. Not very coordinated or quick in the feet.

Were you like 4 years old when Polk was a freshman? You do know he was injured vs BYU and didn’t play again that year and if he wasn’t as good as he was that would have been a redshirt year he would have filed for after his junior year.

If you think Polk and newton are the same type of back that is just wrong. Doesn’t mean newton is bad

I really don't care... I see that Polk avg'd 1.7 yards on 20 carries his first go around. I see that Newton avg'd 4.3 and had 10 TD's... I think they are the same kind of back, bruisers who make their money carrying guys and breaking arm tackles. You really think people were high on Polk after '08? Difference is Newton has actually shown you something!

I think Newton will eventually hit some long runs when he's settled into a starting role on this O. To just expect him to come out and burn guys for 50+ yarders his first season is insane. Especially in an offense that nobody liked the play calling and the passing offense we mediocre at best. Hitting on long runs is seldom just because the running back is fast, it takes catching the D in a bad set, effective blocking at multiple levels... opposing D's didn't respect our ability to pass it down the field all year and stacked the box to stop the run.

20 other D1 programs thought Kalepo was worthy of a scholarship... including USC and Oregon... discounting him is nuts at this point in his career.
    It’s just an opinion on Kalepo. Great kid, not a very good football player. We could wait until he’s a junior to fork any opinion or we can use this board to give opinions, predictions, etc. It’s kind of the point of message boards. You seem more like a doogman type who needs “Go Dawgs” and nothing else.
    No, I actually believe that this year was just fluky and not a real indicator of our potential talent level and things to come.

1. Bad personnel choices at LB. UW plays a style of D that relies on fast, reliable diagnosis from the LB's and Wellington/Manu were just slow and couldn't tackle in space. You drop into coverage like we do... opposing offenses are going to try to beat you in the flat, and these 2 killed us. Yes, it was bad recruiting for a couple years at LB (not to mention Ale Kaho's situation fucking us)... so there's not a lot of excuse for that, but I believe that area is replenished and we should see a big step forward next year. Just a blip of bad play. Wellington was just never a linebacker, I even mentioned a few times years ago that I wanted to what we maybe had with him on offense.

2. Bad personnel choices at WR. And there is no excuse for this one. I was one of the most vocal making threads regarding Baccellia and Fuller through out the season. Bynum, Spiker and Nacua should have been starting over these clowns from day 1. I think there's a ton of reason to believe the offense is going to get way better. You can't pass down the field, you can't open up the running lanes like we wanted to see happen.

When all is said and done, The Huskies lost 4 Pac 12 games by less than one score in a season where Utah and Oregon were supposed to have their elite squads and we were far from it. If we were getting dominated, I'd be far less doogy.

That's why I'm not that worried. I think we've got the program and the players to dominate the Pac 12... because at Utah and Oregon's best, they weren't that good.

I just don't get all the negadawg attitude. If I'm a Doog, it doesn't make the other attitudes on this board realistic... they just sound petty.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Newton needs to learn to not always initiate contact in the 2nd level. He seeks it when sometimes it isn’t necessary. It’s not a horrible problem to have. We talk about being tough and physical, well that’s exactly what Newton is.

He pushes guys backwards, but still goes down when he could side step then and gain 10-20 more yards. He needs to turn his 7 yard runs into 15-20 yard gains. He does that and there is no bitching over his ypc.

I agree... and that's something you can put on tape and he can learn. I also believe with a better passing game that forces the D out of the box, we'd see less and less instances where Newton is met with that tackler at the 2nd level.

You'll never be able to teach Ahmed how to break a tackle at the first level. It's just something he doesn't have in him.

Which is why I'm high on Newton because he's got that first part down pat.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I like Dick Newton. He’s just not good enough. Have you seen Jonathan Taylor, Travis Etienne, JK Dobbins, Clyde Edwards Helaire, De’Andre Swift, Najee Harris etc.?

Neither Ahmed or Newton is nearly as good as those guys. UW has never had guys that talented except for Napoleon and Dillon. Guys like Sheehee, Polk, Sankey, and Gaskin, are at the next level. And Ahmed is not even at that level. His closest analog is a guy you may not have heard of, Beno Bryant.

You think bringing up 5 stars makes you a "high standards" hardcore evaluator, it doesn't. It's just a distraction from being able to assess actual UW personnel.

Newton and Ahmed each have serious limitations that make their games short of elite.
    This isn't a response to you, more a response to the bigger picture.

You know who else weren't elite... people talking shit about Freshman Richard Newton? Myles Gaskin, Chris Polk and Bishop Sankey.

All had their limitations. But were good college backs. None of those guys were elite.
    You couldn't be more wrong. They all were. They all put up multiple 1000 yard seasons with high YPC, proved themselves as ball carriers and receivers, and went on to the NFL. Sankey was the first fucking RB drafted in his class.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Whoosh on kalepo. But in reality he has a long way to go. Not very coordinated or quick in the feet.

Were you like 4 years old when Polk was a freshman? You do know he was injured vs BYU and didn’t play again that year and if he wasn’t as good as he was that would have been a redshirt year he would have filed for after his junior year.

If you think Polk and newton are the same type of back that is just wrong. Doesn’t mean newton is bad

I really don't care... I see that Polk avg'd 1.7 yards on 20 carries his first go around. I see that Newton avg'd 4.3 and had 10 TD's... I think they are the same kind of back, bruisers who make their money carrying guys and breaking arm tackles. You really think people were high on Polk after '08? Difference is Newton has actually shown you something!

I think Newton will eventually hit some long runs when he's settled into a starting role on this O. To just expect him to come out and burn guys for 50+ yarders his first season is insane. Especially in an offense that nobody liked the play calling and the passing offense we mediocre at best. Hitting on long runs is seldom just because the running back is fast, it takes catching the D in a bad set, effective blocking at multiple levels... opposing D's didn't respect our ability to pass it down the field all year and stacked the box to stop the run.

20 other D1 programs thought Kalepo was worthy of a scholarship... including USC and Oregon... discounting him is nuts at this point in his career.
    It’s just an opinion on Kalepo. Great kid, not a very good football player. We could wait until he’s a junior to fork any opinion or we can use this board to give opinions, predictions, etc. It’s kind of the point of message boards. You seem more like a doogman type who needs “Go Dawgs” and nothing else.
    No, I actually believe that this year was just fluky and not a real indicator of our potential talent level and things to come.

1. Bad personnel choices at LB. UW plays a style of D that relies on fast, reliable diagnosis from the LB's and Wellington/Manu were just slow and couldn't tackle in space. You drop into coverage like we do... opposing offenses are going to try to beat you in the flat, and these 2 killed us. Yes, it was bad recruiting for a couple years at LB (not to mention Ale Kaho's situation fucking us)... so there's not a lot of excuse for that, but I believe that area is replenished and we should see a big step forward next year. Just a blip of bad play. Wellington was just never a linebacker, I even mentioned a few times years ago that I wanted to what we maybe had with him on offense.

2. Bad personnel choices at WR. And there is no excuse for this one. I was one of the most vocal making threads regarding Baccellia and Fuller through out the season. Bynum, Spiker and Nacua should have been starting over these clowns from day 1. I think there's a ton of reason to believe the offense is going to get way better. You can't pass down the field, you can't open up the running lanes like we wanted to see happen.

When all is said and done, The Huskies lost 4 Pac 12 games by less than one score in a season where Utah and Oregon were supposed to have their elite squads and we were far from it. If we were getting dominated, I'd be far less doogy.

That's why I'm not that worried. I think we've got the program and the players to dominate the Pac 12... because at Utah and Oregon's best, they weren't that good.

I just don't get all the negadawg attitude. If I'm a Doog, it doesn't make the other attitudes on this board realistic... they just sound petty.
    This was like the 7th best Oregon team in the previous decade, but sure this years edition was an Oregon “elite squad” and their “absolute best”.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ntxduck said:

This was like the 7th best Oregon team in the previous decade, but sure this years edition was an Oregon “elite squad” and their “absolute best”.
    Yeah, because Oregon of today is nowhere near at the same level as Oregon of the Chip Kelly era.

It's a different measuring stick.

I'll fully admit that the Oregon that slaughtered UW for a decade was one of the top programs in football ever. The current era of Oregon football and their ceiling is nowhere near Chips.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m with you. I think we will be good and the coaching errors can be fixed. The personnel choices did cost us at least two games. That should never happen.

Continuing to trot out Manu, Wellington, Baccallia, and Fuller when they weren’t producing was inexcusable. Wellington and Fuller should have both still played, but not every snap like they did for most the season. Manu and Baccallia were worthless. I haven’t seen a defensive player as bad as Manu since the Ty years.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

UW sucks until they don't. The line to bleaux Lake shouldn't start forming until he's actually coached a game.

So far it's feeling Sarkish. Michigan game will tell us more.

We literally start the year with a huge litmus test

Everyone knows who Harbaugh is at this point. They are a program stick in 8-4 to 10-2 perpetuity under Harbaugh.

Measuring stick game right off the bat. If UW loses that game, at home, its going to put a huge damper on the year right off the bat

Big game we have to win and will probably lose
    Michigan is a good program but unless they find a grad transfer or two, they'll be replacing a senior QB and 3 SR OL, just as UW probably will.
    Our defense should be good, it's early in season so no dreams have been shattered yet/crowd should be great, and there's plenty of history of opposing QBs who make their first road start in Husky Stadium looking terrible. Our offense is a huge unknown and we'll probably struggle in multiple road games next year, but I like our chances at home Week 1.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Well one thing is for sure. When the game is on the line Asa Turner can be counted on for that tough tackle.

• Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2019
    You guys sound exactly right now as you did before the start of this season. Take your purple covered glasses off and be realistic.
  • Options
    WillyRBeekWillyRBeek Member Posts: 133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Offense:

Our wide receiving core is going to be elite next year.

No longer do we have to watch Fuller, Opera and to a smaller extent, McClatcher play wideout for UW. Gone are the days of 5'8-5'10 170 lb wideouts dropping passes, failing to get open and getting physically dominated over the middle.

Next year's wideouts that should get serious run: Bynum, was easily our best wideout by season's end, guy is a gamer. Puca showed out before his injury and should turn into a no. 1 option. Spiker he got some run late in the season and made some big plays down the field for the Dawgs, one of the highest recruits we've ever gotten should finally get a real chance. Jones will be back and 100% healthy... he and Puca on the outside are going to be a mismatch nightmare. We should also finally see Osbourne get some good run, not to mention McMillan as an elite true frosh. We really do go 6 or 7 seriously talented wideouts deep in 2020 when at times WR felt like a serious weakness in 2018 and 2019.

Don't forget about Odunze. That dude looks legit. He's big, physical and while he seems a bit slow off the line, once he picks up speed I don't know if anyone is running that guy down from behind.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,278
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Its like a pack of coyotes trying to take down a water buffalo up in here.....fyfmfe
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    Founders Club
    This thread went from HIV to FBA shockingly fast.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Quit pretending that Kalepo will vie for a starting job. He won’t and never will.

Is this because he can’t hold the bag?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

UW sucks until they don't. The line to bleaux Lake shouldn't start forming until he's actually coached a game.

So far it's feeling Sarkish. Michigan game will tell us more.

Don’t worry the season will be over after the first game
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    @DJDuck

Where are you getting your confidence from fuck face?

You supposedly had the next coming of Jesus at QB ever since he was a freshman and he had to come back for his SR year cause he was shit only to blow it vs ASU to miss the playoffs, proving how shit he actually is. Not to mention 3/5th's of your offensive line + a mouthy safety/linebacker who always had pee in their Wheaties because they got absolutely skull fucked by Jake Browning of all people.

And that's the best Oregon has? In a down year for UW?

Oregon loses so much and UW returns almost everything.

I really hope Justin Herbert and Oregon enjoy getting destroyed by Wisconsin. We all know it's coming.