Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why I'm excited, and why you might also be excited for 2020!

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I like Dick Newton. He’s just not good enough. Have you seen Jonathan Taylor, Travis Etienne, JK Dobbins, Clyde Edwards Helaire, De’Andre Swift, Najee Harris etc.?

Yes, I have.

Nobody like that exists on the UW roster.

This is why people tell you to shut up. That Ballz character really got into your head and made you retarded.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Quit pretending that Kalepo will vie for a starting job. He won’t and never will.

You're saying that, why?
    He can’t even hold the bag.

And Polk and newton are nothing alike. I like newton. But Polk had speed and broke plenty of long runs.

Not sure newton will ever be that guy. He may be an every down back. Not sure yet. I would lean toward no.
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,007
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Newton’s not even going to lead us in carries lol

??
    Because one game against Boise makes it true!! He’s a good situational guy. He lacks the wiggle to be a legit starter. Salvon and Cam Davis are both better options
    Neither did Greg Lewis. (Google him youngster)
  • Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,246
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I like Dick Newton. He’s just not good enough. Have you seen Jonathan Taylor, Travis Etienne, JK Dobbins, Clyde Edwards Helaire, De’Andre Swift, Najee Harris etc.?

Yes, I have.

Nobody like that exists on the UW roster.

This is why people tell you to shut up. That Ballz character really got into your head and made you retarded.
    Exactly Creep.

Even if we did have one of these guys on the roster... they're not running behind an Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Ohio St. or Wisconsin OL. Not to mention Najee Harris and De'Andre Swift were like the top RB's in their classes.

• Options

Quit pretending that Kalepo will vie for a starting job. He won’t and never will.

You're saying that, why?
    He can’t even hold the bag.

And Polk and newton are nothing alike. I like newton. But Polk had speed and broke plenty of long runs.

Not sure newton will ever be that guy. He may be an every down back. Not sure yet. I would lean toward no.
    Why are you eliminating freshman already?

Newton has shown nothing but positives in his freshman year. You really think he can't get better? This is just who he is? Last I checked Polk avg'd 1.7 yards per carry on 20 carries?

And Kalepo is just done huh? Man, guess they should just revoke his scholarship now.

Why do you say this shit? I just don't understand it... does it make you feel good?
  • Options
    Whoosh on kalepo. But in reality he has a long way to go. Not very coordinated or quick in the feet.

Were you like 4 years old when Polk was a freshman? You do know he was injured vs BYU and didn’t play again that year and if he wasn’t as good as he was that would have been a redshirt year he would have filed for after his junior year.

If you think Polk and newton are the same type of back that is just wrong. Doesn’t mean newton is bad
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Whoosh on kalepo. But in reality he has a long way to go. Not very coordinated or quick in the feet.

Were you like 4 years old when Polk was a freshman? You do know he was injured vs BYU and didn’t play again that year and if he wasn’t as good as he was that would have been a redshirt year he would have filed for after his junior year.

If you think Polk and newton are the same type of back that is just wrong. Doesn’t mean newton is bad

I really don't care... I see that Polk avg'd 1.7 yards on 20 carries his first go around. I see that Newton avg'd 4.3 and had 10 TD's... I think they are the same kind of back, bruisers who make their money carrying guys and breaking arm tackles. You really think people were high on Polk after '08? Difference is Newton has actually shown you something!

I think Newton will eventually hit some long runs when he's settled into a starting role on this O. To just expect him to come out and burn guys for 50+ yarders his first season is insane. Especially in an offense that nobody liked the play calling and the passing offense we mediocre at best. Hitting on long runs is seldom just because the running back is fast, it takes catching the D in a bad set, effective blocking at multiple levels... opposing D's didn't respect our ability to pass it down the field all year and stacked the box to stop the run.

20 other D1 programs thought Kalepo was worthy of a scholarship... including USC and Oregon... discounting him is nuts at this point in his career.
  • Options

I really don't care... I see that Polk avg'd 1.7 yards on 20 carries his first go around. I see that Newton avg'd 4.3 and had 10 TD's... I think they are the same kind of back, bruisers who make their money carrying guys and breaking arm tackles. You really think people were high on Polk after '08? Difference is Newton has actually shown you something!

I think Newton will eventually hit some long runs when he's settled into a starting role on this O. To just expect him to come out and burn guys for 50+ yarders his first season is insane. Especially in an offense that nobody liked the play calling and the passing offense we mediocre at best.

20 other D1 programs thought Kalepo was worthy of a scholarship... including USC and Oregon... discounting him is nuts at this point in his career.
    Then you can’t be helped. You obviously started watching football very recently. Don’t let logic get in the way of any assumptions and doog the fuck out.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

I think Newton will eventually hit some long runs when he's settled into a starting role on this O. To just expect him to come out and burn guys for 50+ yarders his first season is insane. Especially in an offense that nobody liked the play calling and the passing offense we mediocre at best.

Then you can’t be helped. You obviously started watching football very recently. Don’t let logic get in the way of any assumptions and doog the fuck out.
    Fuck off moron. Your opinion isn't worth any more than mine.

You've seen a freshman RB avg 4.3 YPC and get 10 TD's in his first go and you're not high on him?

Could be the dumbest take I've ever read.

All you are is some HardcoreHusky moron that takes the traditional woe is me attitude. Fuck off.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,166
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Newton’s not even going to lead us in carries lol

??
    Cam Davis
    Fuck Wattenberg for holding on his touchdown run. His burst is special and he’s a big dude too
    Looking like the front runner for Doog hero next year when he's the worst lineman
  • Options

Neither Ahmed or Newton is nearly as good as those guys. UW has never had guys that talented except for Napoleon and Dillon. Guys like Sheehee, Polk, Sankey, and Gaskin, are at the next level. And Ahmed is not even at that level. His closest analog is a guy you may not have heard of, Beno Bryant.

You think bringing up 5 stars makes you a "high standards" hardcore evaluator, it doesn't. It's just a distraction from being able to assess actual UW personnel.

Newton and Ahmed each have serious limitations that make their games short of elite.
    This isn't a response to you, more a response to the bigger picture.

You know who else weren't elite... people talking shit about Freshman Richard Newton? Myles Gaskin, Chris Polk and Bishop Sankey.

All had their limitations. But were good college backs. None of those guys were elite.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    chuck said:

BTP it’s purely TBS faggotry why you think he’s not good enough.

I bet he gets a little faster and works on the nuances. The balance and power are there. He’s great in short yardage.

I prefer to

Fuck off moron. Your opinion isn't worth any more than mine.

You've seen a freshman RB avg 4.3 YPC and get 10 TD's in his first go and you're not high on him?

Could be the dumbest take I've ever read.
    Actually your take on Chris Polk is much, much dumber. They threw him to the wolves early in the 2008 season, as a true fresh with a bad shoulder which he promptly injured. That year counts for shit.

Watch him in game one of 2009 against a defense full of 4 and 5* freaks and try to tell me you've seen the same from Newton as a second year player.

Newton is a good player. Some of us like to scout and project based on what we see, not just stats. You're doing it too. You just don't agree and are higher on him than me and some others. No big deal.
    You don't know that Newton won't be as good in his second year. You have no idea.

I don't care. Polk avg'd 1.7 yards per carry. 1.7... you want to say Newton doesn't have the potential after only seeing him as the 2nd running back? He scored 10 times and avg'd 4.3 yards per carry, a number reduced because he was utilized in a number of 3rd and short or goal line situations. He was never the feature back.

What's hilarious is you're evaluating Polk with hindsight... nobody on this board, or in Husky nation figured that Polk was going to evolve into what he did after '08... and you have no idea what Newton has the potential to evolve into either.

Thinking that what you saw his freshman year is all he has is ludicrous. Just a stupid, debby downer, typical HardcoreHusky, woe is me, take.

I'm sorry, but how anyone could look at Richard Newton and go "meh" after the effort he's put in this year is just nuts.
  • Options

I think Newton will eventually hit some long runs when he's settled into a starting role on this O. To just expect him to come out and burn guys for 50+ yarders his first season is insane. Especially in an offense that nobody liked the play calling and the passing offense we mediocre at best. Hitting on long runs is seldom just because the running back is fast, it takes catching the D in a bad set, effective blocking at multiple levels... opposing D's didn't respect our ability to pass it down the field all year and stacked the box to stop the run.

If you are comparing apples to apples newton was injured and played In zero games his freshmen season.

Polk played A game and a half and was injured and never played again as a true freshmen.

In what would have been Polk’s redshirt freshmen year he ran for over 1000 yards at 4.9 Ypc with a much shittier supporting cast and was his own blocker many times vs a much tougher schedule. Also was running 4.45 40 at the time and made multiple freshmen all American teams. Just a different type of back. Again I like newton. Just not sold on him being an all conference or all American level contributor. Or an every down back for that matter.

Feel Free to continue to be offended though.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

If you are comparing apples to apples newton was injured and played In zero games his freshmen season.

Polk played A game and a half and was injured and never played again as a true freshmen.

In what would have been Polk’s redshirt freshmen year he ran for over 1000 yards at 4.9 Ypc with a much shittier supporting cast and was his own blocker many times vs a much tougher schedule. Also was running 4.45 40 at the time and made multiple freshmen all American teams. Just a different type of back. Again I like newton. Just not sold on him being an all conference or all American level contributor. Or an every down back for that matter.

Feel Free to continue to be offended though.
    I'm not offended. I believe you're wrong.

I don't think Newton had a better supporting cast in his first full year a running back. Maybe Newton had a better OL? Maybe? This year's UW OL was only mediocre in my opinion. Certainly wasn't as good as everyone hoped it would be... it didn't perform near expectations.

He had a JR Jake Locker at QB who was a better runner than Eason and put up almost the same exact passing numbers.

Can you really look at the Husky WR core and say Baccellia, Fuller, McClatcher were better than Jermaine Kearse, Devin Aguilar and James Johnson? About all you can say is Hunter Bryant was a better TE than Middleton. Next year, as far as pass catchers are concerned, yeah I believe it's a night and day difference.

And again, had Newton been the feature back, who's to say he wouldn't have broken a couple if he's getting 20-25 carries a game? Newton also has a much better nose for the end zone than Polk.

Not to mention they let go of Hamden... someone who severely limited this O's potential... and he was running in this offense.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019
    Newton needs to learn to not always initiate contact in the 2nd level. He seeks it when sometimes it isn’t necessary. It’s not a horrible problem to have. We talk about being tough and physical, well that’s exactly what Newton is.

He pushes guys backwards, but still goes down when he could side step then and gain 10-20 more yards. He needs to turn his 7 yard runs into 15-20 yard gains. He does that and there is no bitching over his ypc.
  • Options

Newton needs to learn to not always initiate contact in the 2nd level. He seeks it when sometimes it isn’t necessary. It’s not a horrible problem to have. We talk about being tough and physical, well that’s exactly what Newton is.

He pushes guys backwards, but still goes down when he could side step then and gain 10-20 more yards. He needs to turn his 7 yard runs into 15-20 yard gains. He does that and there is no bitching over his ypc.

Spot on analysis. It’s hard to sustain a drive without breaking longer runs from time to time.