Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Rumor about Peterman

Comments

• MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

As we always said over the long duckade, no one ever went broke betting against UW doing the right thing in football. As we learned again this season as the 5 losses piled up.

So to bet that Lake fails and this is a dark day is the proper bet. We've been through enough coaches to know there is no magic formula for assistants or head coaches to take a job and be great. They have it or they don't.

I think Lake is a great face for the program and a great recruiter and we eliminate the OKG bullshit. If he gets assistants that can coach and lets them coach we should do no worse than where Pete was leading us. Probably better.

A hungry Lake is better than a burned out Petersen riding his boat to work

That OKG bullshit was bullshit from day one. If Lake starts recruiting some people with an questionable backgrounds I'll be happy.
    Harv is slipping.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    Don't take creep too seriously.

He was betting on the Cuog in the AC as recently as last season.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,004
    dflea said:

Don't take creep too seriously.

He was betting on the Cuog in the AC as recently as last season.

Hurtful.

TommySQC said:

Stepped down because of the vitriol on HCH.

Don't twist; just what I'm hearing.

Prediction tim: Lake won't succeed. Take all the screen shots you want. This is a bad day for Husky football.

Maybe not. God knows UW has not had success with assistants but you are talking about Lambright and Gilby. L:ake feels different but that might also be the Doog in me.

What are your reasons for why not? I'd love to hear them.
    Yes. That's it.

My reasons? Statistics. Nothing more. I've seen more beloved coordinators bash their heads into the ceiling aka the Peter Principle than I've seen anything else in any other profession.

It's a low odds bidness, and the popular coordinator rarely works out. Just numbers.

Look at how everyone shat all over Criscoballz. The only thing I can say to how that's worked out is that Oregon got lucky ... justy like they did with Chip, and just like they didn't with Helfrich, who'd been there longer than the other two put together.
    What stats are you pointing to? The top 2 current head coaches in the Pac - Shaw and Wittingham - were both coordinators before taking over at each of their respective schools. There are only and handful of "can't miss" hires. Would we be in a better place in terms of future success if we got some up and coming Group of 5 HC over lake? I'm not sure I buy that.
    Just @UW_Doog_Bot post. I already answered this question Yella! Just the numbers.

For your Shaw and Wittingham, I can name 20 off the top of my head that turned ugly.

Hiring the right guy is hard. Hiring a shit-show, the numbers would suggest, is easy as fuck.

You? just lost a guy who made UW something out of very little and hired someone else. No insurance company would ever underwrite this thing. Add in the qualitative factor that it's some popular slick "the players choice" dude named "Jimmy" who's best known for DBU ... it has "fail" written all over it. But that's just me.

Alls I'm saying is we're just as likely to fail with Lake as an up and comer HC from somewhere else. Statistically there's no difference.
    That's probably right.

I feel like you're distinguishing the ways you're going to lose to the house in Vegas. I think Mrs. Yella is going to react with the same negative emotions whether you fuck the pooch on the black jack or craps table.

And, in all fairness, this is where I have to axe: where's the skepticism levied on Crisco? The #1 thing both doods represented when is recruiting chops.

There are like 130 D1 coaches. About five of them are good. If you're suggesting the odds of Lake not being one of the five are high, I'd say I agree. If you're suggesting that, knowing keeping Petersen is off the table, hiring somebody other than either Lake or one of those five (impossible) provides improved odds of a sixth good coach joining the fraternity, I'd like to see the numbers that prove it.

Petersen left. So the question is now what? Lake's as big of a coin toss as most anybody else would be.

Lovely reasoning.

I used pretty much the same when saying that Cristo wasn't a bad hire and that his recruiting acumen would be a good thing for a program like Oregon. I was pretty much mocked incessantly for it.

I've come for my penance. When Oregon hired Crisco, what was it they should have done instead? Because this feels an awful lot like that hire, only my boyfriend had more experience than Lake.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,037 Founders Club

TommySQC said:

Prediction tim: Lake won't succeed. Take all the screen shots you want. This is a bad day for Husky football.

Maybe not. God knows UW has not had success with assistants but you are talking about Lambright and Gilby. L:ake feels different but that might also be the Doog in me.

Yes. That's it.

My reasons? Statistics. Nothing more. I've seen more beloved coordinators bash their heads into the ceiling aka the Peter Principle than I've seen anything else in any other profession.

It's a low odds bidness, and the popular coordinator rarely works out. Just numbers.

Look at how everyone shat all over Criscoballz. The only thing I can say to how that's worked out is that Oregon got lucky ... justy like they did with Chip, and just like they didn't with Helfrich, who'd been there longer than the other two put together.
    What stats are you pointing to? The top 2 current head coaches in the Pac - Shaw and Wittingham - were both coordinators before taking over at each of their respective schools. There are only and handful of "can't miss" hires. Would we be in a better place in terms of future success if we got some up and coming Group of 5 HC over lake? I'm not sure I buy that.
    Just @UW_Doog_Bot post. I already answered this question Yella! Just the numbers.

For your Shaw and Wittingham, I can name 20 off the top of my head that turned ugly.

Hiring the right guy is hard. Hiring a shit-show, the numbers would suggest, is easy as fuck.

You? just lost a guy who made UW something out of very little and hired someone else. No insurance company would ever underwrite this thing. Add in the qualitative factor that it's some popular slick "the players choice" dude named "Jimmy" who's best known for DBU ... it has "fail" written all over it. But that's just me.

Alls I'm saying is we're just as likely to fail with Lake as an up and comer HC from somewhere else. Statistically there's no difference.
    That's probably right.

I feel like you're distinguishing the ways you're going to lose to the house in Vegas. I think Mrs. Yella is going to react with the same negative emotions whether you fuck the pooch on the black jack or craps table.

And, in all fairness, this is where I have to axe: where's the skepticism levied on Crisco? The #1 thing both doods represented when is recruiting chops.
    I'm not a gambler, Tio Creep. Don't have the stomach for it.

I never criticized or mocked the Mario hire. I said there wasn't enough evidence suggest whether he likely succeed or fail.

TommySQC said:

Yes. That's it.

That's probably right.

I'm not a gambler, Tio Creep. Don't have the stomach for it.

I never criticized or mocked the Mario hire. I said there wasn't enough evidence suggest whether he likely succeed or fail.
    Yes, there was. The fact that he wasn't Nick Saban and the odds. That's always it.

I think I'm often misunderstood on this point. I defended Mario because (1) recruiting chops (clearly established and now proven) + (2) roll the dice.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,678 Founders Club
    Mario had a horrible head coach record

He really isn't a comp. I was messing with @MikeSeaver

I don't think Cristobal has anything to do with Lake

And all Cristobal has done is not quite match Rick unless he wins Friday and in the Rose Bowl

Still too early
    edited December 2019

And all Cristobal has done is not quite match Rick unless he wins Friday and in the Rose Bowl

Still too early

Yeah, I'm not going down that easy on this one. It's a little more relevant than that.

First, the experts here even said he wasn't really a good recruiter, just a good hype man.

Second, the experts used his HC position at FIU as evidence he couldn't coach. FIU. The place he led to its first ever bowl game and winning season. There's not a person in south Florida who knows anything about the landscape there who doesn't think that Pete Garcia was out of him mind for firing him.

Third, he inherited a shit-show and turned 72-21 or whatever into what he's done. If he doesn't win the P 12, he's still ahead of schedule relative to Peterman. A reminder:

2014 Washington 8–6 4–5 3rd (North) L Cactus
    2015 Washington 7–6 4–5 4th (North) W Heart of Dallas
    2016 Washington 12–2 8–1 1st (North) L Peach

He's an eyelash away from having back to back 10-2 seasons and he beat Pete head to head twice.

Not sure what Rick has to do with it. Rick is Rick. I liked Rick. You know that. Bottom line was that the expert forum laffed at the Mario hire. All his first two years do for me by way of vindication is prove my theory right: that there is no theory. Get a guy who can recruit and cross your fingers. Unless you can get a giant, in which case, get the giant. Oregon can't usually get the giant. And, hard as it is for doogville to accept, Washington usually can't either.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,678 Founders Club

Still too early

Yeah, I'm not going down that easy on this one. It's a little more relevant than that.

First, the experts here even said he wasn't really a good recruiter, just a good hype man.

Second, the experts used his HC position at FIU as evidence he couldn't coach. FIU. The place he led to its first ever bowl game and winning season. There's not a person in south Florida who knows anything about the landscape there who doesn't think that Pete Garcia was out of him mind for firing him.

Third, he inherited a shit-show and turned 72-21 or whatever into what he's done. If he doesn't win the P 12, he's still ahead of schedule relative to Peterman. A reminder:

He's a eyelash away from having back to back 10-2 seasons and he beat Pete head to head twice.

Not sure what Rick has to do with it. Rick is Rick. I liked Rick. You know that. Bottom line was that the expert forum laffed at the Mario hire. All his first two years do for me by way of vindication is prove my theory right: that there is no theory. Get a guy who can recruit and cross your fingers. Unless you can get a giant, in which case, get the giant. Oregon can't usually get the giant. And, hard as it is for doogville to accept, Washington usually can't either.

Still too early

He's a eyelash away from having back to back 10-2 seasons and he beat Pete head to head twice.

No one cares

Still too early

Still too early

No one cares
    Ok.

Good luck with Jimmy the Lake.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club

Swaye said:

We're fuct.

We're fuct until we aren't. I'll take this over Petermen mailing in a few moar seasons and not changing the fundamental things that needed changing.
    Pretty much. I went on record two days ago and said I wanted him fired. I just think that the promote the coordinator misses a helluva lot more than it hits. That's the nature of the beast though. If you can't hire Urbs, Dabo or Saban, there are no sure bets.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,453 Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

We're fuct.

We're fuct until we aren't. I'll take this over Petermen mailing in a few moar seasons and not changing the fundamental things that needed changing.
    Pretty much. I went on record two days ago and said I wanted him fired. I just think that the promote the coordinator misses a helluva lot more than it hits. That's the nature of the beast though. If you can't hire Urbs, Dabo or Saban, there are no sure bets.
    Since we aren't hiring any of those guys and since Pete is GONE who else would be the better shot than Lake?

I agree with tio Creepy that we are playing against the house but I'd still rather hit on an 11 than hold.

Lake's probably our best shot without having hindsight vision from 2021 so you might as well take it.

Maybe he'll be a five and we are fucked or maybe he's the jack of spades. Not going to know until the hand gets dealt.
  • dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 578
    Whittingham would have been an excellent hire. He does more with less talent than anyone in the P5. And his defense us always top notch.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,366
    We are entering troubled tims..... I feel like somebody took my Doog out for a walk and hasnt brought him back yet.

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,821 Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

We're fuct.

HH kept getting louder and louder about Pete’s issues and making a change until it became almost silent because no one cared.

This comment from doog bot would be my mike drop.

This is what I wanted just stopped thinking about it because i don’t think the tea leaves spelled this one out as clear as some are stating it did.
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,479
    What I'm hearing:
    - Petersen was forced to resign by Husky fans due to their unreasonable expectations of, you know, winning football games, and we as Husky fans shouldn't expect such things
    - Petersen will be the USC coach by Friday
    - Petersen will be the FSU coach by Friday
    - Petersen will take a year off and then be the Notre Dame coach
    - Petersen resigned so that he could take the 0reg0n job when Cristoballz leaves for Miami
    - Petersen will be the coach @ 'Bama after Saban retires

Confirmed: The world is full of absolute dumbfucks.