Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We all saw it: And we all now know the Core Issue

13»

Comments

• jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    edited November 2019
    Olfoshio must have lacked details in practice. Welly and Manu must have balled out Monday through Friday but were too tired to play right on Saturdays.
  • NLdawgNLdawg Member Posts: 53
    jecornel said:

NLdawg said:

jecornel said:

I actually enjoyed Pete chewing out Wellington. It was as if to say "you've been dogshit all year, you don't get to crow on one if the few plays that went your way".

I just don't think Wellington really did much. Total overreaction.
    Dude, like 2 weeks ago you started a thread celebrating Ryan Day because he screams and yells. Which is it?
    Are you serious dude? Pete is happy to chew some guys ass for nothing? Ryan day is the middle of his guys pushing, yelling, and screaming in pregame getting dudes hyped. I rather enjoyed it. Washington will never be Ohio State.

Pete is Pete. It's fine. Beta ball is Washington ball. He likes winning football games against dreck.
    If you want to criticize Pete, cool. He deserves it. But now you’re pissed that he’s yelling at our awful linebacker after he made an awful play? CSB
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,534 Standard Supporter

I actually enjoyed Pete chewing out Wellington. It was as if to say "you've been dogshit all year, you don't get to crow on one if the few plays that went your way".

So when does Wellington get to chew Peet out?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,540 Swaye's Wigwam

jecornel said:

Olfoshio must have lacked details in practice. Welly and Manu must have balled out Monday through Friday but were too tired to play right on Saturdays.

I think it’s really that they only have chalk talk, drills, and non contact stuff to go off and everyone looks about the same.

If they scrimmaged and hit everyday, it would be easy to see Ulofoshio is better.
    I'm just kind of surprised he never got a chance to rotate in sooner so they could see what he could do in a game. I was pumping up Ulofoshio all spring and fall (/rolleyesjerkoffmotiongif) after his special teams play last year (and his bio would suggest a real possibility he was a better player who was overlooked in recruiting), and it shocked me to not see him get a chance to go in and actually do something. And I'm talking as early as Eastern, when I was sitting in the stands wondering why Wellington and Manu were being repeatedly and pointlessly blasted into the A gap to accomplish nothing.

It's hard to avoid the trap of recruiting ratings hype, but I try to at least equally consider physical ceiling when getting excited about players. Tryon's a guy that got me REALLY excited in spite of low recruiting hype, for instance, because he's a freaking giant with ape arms who's fast and athletic for his size. Ulofoshio's another such guy: 230, long arms, runs well, and hits like a truck. Played varsity ball for Gorman, sure, but got a late start on the recruiting scene, having moved from Alaska for his sophomore year. I had hope for him.

I've been on the record as being a big Tafisi fan as well, and we'll see how that goes. He has the physical attributes and desire for violence that you want to see, but it was clear this year that he's just not ready to lead a defense, mentally, and his technique let him down often, leading to whiffed tackles while trying to kill people.

I really don't know what to think about next season regarding the linebacker group. I assumed this year wouldn't be so bad, so what the fuck do I know? I figured losing BBK would be huge, but he would be replaced by a much deeper, much more talented overall group, which hinged entirely on Sirmon and Tafisi living up to their ratings, Wellington being as good as he looked at the end of last season (still can't explain that one), Ulofoshio getting game minutes and being solid (I seriously expected this), and at least one of Calvert and Heimuli coming in and wowing. Absolutely none of that happened until way too late in the season, which left me dumbfounded. Next year, we start with Ulofoshio as the only really proven returner, which is way better than either of this season's original starters. So that's a bump. But what else? I'd like to once again fall into the trap of thinking young guys will develop and get better (Sirmon, Tafisi, Tuputala), new talent will win out (Heimuli, Calvert, Ah You), and an underrated walk-on might step up (Fowler, Fuavai), but... fool me once...

Oh, and preemptively fuck Vanilla for making this post completely unreadable thanks to quote function and doublespace AIDS.