Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Things better than this season of Husky Football

2»

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,540 Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I still don't get deer hunting. It's as if fish fell from the sky every rain storm, yet people still hiked to the lake with a rod and reel. I have to navigate around nicer bucks than that just to get into my driveway every day this time of year because of the water chestnut tree alongside. The deer horde has taken over my neighborhood and make growing anything impossible ("deer resistant" $1000 privacy hedge my ass...). If I wanted to take a deer this season, I'd walk out into my backyard with an apple and a hammer.

I'm guessing the number of deer is related to the diminished number of hunters

As a kid tons of people hunted. We were not one of those families.

I think hunting isn't that popular anymore
    It is still popular in the south and PA. But a shadow of it's former self. Sad really. You haven't lived until you spot stalk an 8 pointer, make the shot over your pounding heart, then gut it in the forest and drag it a half mile cussing the entire way while throwing your back out getting it into the bed of the truck. The best experiences of my life involve hunting, fishing, drugs, killing terrorists and getting laid.

edit: Meant to make the point that you are correct. Car bumpers are the new hunters. Deer populations have exploded in many states. I recall rarely seeing a roadkill deer as a kid. Hunters kept the population healthy and in check. Now I see at least one a week minimum throughout the winter, and multiples per week during the rut. Hunting saves cars people. Do your part. Shoot a deer.
    I've lived at my current place since early 2008 (awesome timing, I know...), and I've personally witnessed five deer get whacked just right in front of my driveway. Had to pop one in the head to put it out of its misery once, as it decided right in front of my front porch was the best spot to loudly die. People who speed down my road are either ignorant or idiots or both.

I'm not sure what the ratio of hunters now to hunters "back in the day" is, but half the people I know hunt. They just do it in the mountains where deer population are down, not at my house where deer outnumber people 100:1. If I had to guess the problem, it might be reduced hunting, but it also might have to do with development pushing out predators. There's too little pressure on the deer population in the burbs. You've got these lush, green parks, ponds, mountain bike parks, etc., and there are only a few big cats and coyotes and, as you pointed out, car to control the deer.

We had a big kitty take down a deer at the back of my property several years ago, and one was caught repeatedly on my brother's neighbor's security camera at night a few months back (he's three blocks down the hill from me). But, still, too many deer, not enough big cats. Cars are their biggest threat.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club

Swaye said:

I still don't get deer hunting. It's as if fish fell from the sky every rain storm, yet people still hiked to the lake with a rod and reel. I have to navigate around nicer bucks than that just to get into my driveway every day this time of year because of the water chestnut tree alongside. The deer horde has taken over my neighborhood and make growing anything impossible ("deer resistant" $1000 privacy hedge my ass...). If I wanted to take a deer this season, I'd walk out into my backyard with an apple and a hammer.

I'm guessing the number of deer is related to the diminished number of hunters

As a kid tons of people hunted. We were not one of those families.

I think hunting isn't that popular anymore
    It is still popular in the south and PA. But a shadow of it's former self. Sad really. You haven't lived until you spot stalk an 8 pointer, make the shot over your pounding heart, then gut it in the forest and drag it a half mile cussing the entire way while throwing your back out getting it into the bed of the truck. The best experiences of my life involve hunting, fishing, drugs, killing terrorists and getting laid.

edit: Meant to make the point that you are correct. Car bumpers are the new hunters. Deer populations have exploded in many states. I recall rarely seeing a roadkill deer as a kid. Hunters kept the population healthy and in check. Now I see at least one a week minimum throughout the winter, and multiples per week during the rut. Hunting saves cars people. Do your part. Shoot a deer.
    I've lived at my current place since early 2008 (awesome timing, I know...), and I've personally witnessed five deer get whacked just right in front of my driveway. Had to pop one in the head to put it out of its misery once, as it decided right in front of my front porch was the best spot to loudly die. People who speed down my road are either ignorant or idiots or both.

I'm not sure what the ratio of hunters now to hunters "back in the day" is, but half the people I know hunt. They just do it in the mountains where deer population are down, not at my house where deer outnumber people 100:1. If I had to guess the problem, it might be reduced hunting, but it also might have to do with development pushing out predators. There's too little pressure on the deer population in the burbs. You've got these lush, green parks, ponds, mountain bike parks, etc., and there are only a few big cats and coyotes and, as you pointed out, car to control the deer.

We had a big kitty take down a deer at the back of my property several years ago, and one was caught repeatedly on my brother's neighbor's security camera at night a few months back (he's three blocks down the hill from me). But, still, too many deer, not enough big cats. Cars are their biggest threat.
    It's certainly a combo, but as a lifelong hunter there is no question the population of hunters has dropped drastically. 20 years ago in Virginia when you bought a deer license you got one tag. Buck only usually. Last year one license got me 6 tags! Population is out of control. Too many faggy guys who wouldn't even know which end of the gun to use and couldn't find a deer in the wild if it was attached to their ass.

Such is life. I just keep hoping for a cataclysmic event where society breaks down and then life skills like being able to hunt, kill, bleed out, skin, butcher and prepare a meal from wild game you killed will elude 80% of the population and I will finally reign supreme dining on bunnies, fish and deer at my leisure with a harem of women at my beck and call because my role as provider of food is finally celebrated and I get the respect I so richly deserve.