Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Coaching replacement thread

CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,203 Swaye's Wigwam
edited November 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
I don't really want to go into too much detail about this year's dumpster fire. It's fucked and that's obvious. There's plenty of other threads for that. I want to look forward so let's be proactive as a fanbase and make some demands. Pete isn't going anywhere so let's get some serious discussion about who on the staff needs to be replaced (pretty clear) and who some realistic options are (unclear to me). Who should we target, what's it going to take, and what can we do as a fanbase to help make it happen? I need some optimism and hope to keep myself from buttplugging all my girlfriend's vaginal Valium. Discuss.

Comments

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,203 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019
    Baseman said:

Pete or thud.

You're dreaming. There's too many positives with the infrastructure and recruiting to blow it up after one bad season. As has been discussed, many (all?) all time greats have had poor seasons. They made changes. We've seen it with James. Now if you told me Pete was getting canned, Jimmy was being promoted, and a big-time OC and offensive staff would be brought in with autonomy, and that this would be the only way to keep Jimmy around, I'm listening. I just don't see it happening. Let's discuss reasonable staff replacements.
  • sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    Anybody got some names for OC?
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Baseman said:

Pete or thud.

You're dreaming. There's too many positives with the infrastructure and recruiting to blow it up after one bad season. As has been discussed, many all time greats have had poor seasons. They made changes. We've seen it with James. Now if you told me Pete was getting canned, Jimmy was being promoted, and a big-time OC would be brought in with autonomy, and that this would be the only way to keep Jimmy around, I'm listening.
    Pete is not getting canned but he hired his asst coaches and kept them when the red flags rose. James delivered bowl wins and won facing tougher schedules. His 85 and 88 teams sucked balls but he had the equity of the 77/78, 1981, and 1984 seasons before. Pete beat Missippi St in some shit bowl I can't remember. Period.
    edited November 2019

Baseman said:

Pete or thud.

You're dreaming. There's too many positives with the infrastructure and recruiting to blow it up after one bad season. As has been discussed, many all time greats have had poor seasons. They made changes. We've seen it with James. Now if you told me Pete was getting canned, Jimmy was being promoted, and a big-time OC would be brought in with autonomy, and that this would be the only way to keep Jimmy around, I'm listening.
    Why would you even care about Lake that much? What has he done except take a loaded defense and maintain it for a few years before it fell off a cliff this year?
    Is it Lake or is it the atrocious linebacker play? We're playing with 9. Whose responsibility is that? Lake? Gregory? Injuries? Transfers? The undersized 2019 DL? The bad LB recruiting of 2015-2017? I'm still very much a Lake advocate. Not gonna throw Lake under the bus quite yet when there's so many variables that can explain one average defensive season. The D hasn't been atrocious like the O.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

What's Scott Linehan doing?
    edited November 2019

Not really. Chad Morris has been hyped but we aren’t getting him. Good, established coaches aren’t available. I would almost prefer thinking outside the box. Hire the best FCS OC or one from a non P-5 team. Hire an NFL position coach. It’s all a crapshoot really.
    Like the Atlanta QB coach? In all seriousness, I'm all for a FCS/G5 hire. I'm still intrigued by Beau Baldwin too. Yeah, he hasn't been great at Cal yet but he hasn't had a QB or any bullets. We have those things in the system and coming down the pipe. Sam Huard and our WR corps would shred in an air raid system. I would think Baldwin would be an easy pull if we wanted him. The air raid or some form of it is clearly the wave of the future and he's somewhat proven.
    Just for shits and giggles, Baldwin made 650k this year and is at the end of his contract. Bush makes 750k and is at the end of his life. We could snag Baldwin in a heartbeat if we wanted him.
  • sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460

Just for shits and giggles, Baldwin made 650k this year and is at the end of his contract. Bush makes 750k and is at the end of his life. We could snag Baldwin in a heartbeat if we wanted him.

Bush has one year left and no thank you to Ben
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028
    I do not expect Baldwin to remain with Cal after this year. I would not like to see him go to UW.
    edited November 2019

Bush has one year left and no thank you to Ben
    I assume you meant Beau. What's your hangup on him? No, he hasn't been great at Cal, but I'm just not sure that's his fault. Youth, shitty receivers, and injuries have pretty much neutered his offense, from what I can tell. I would think his foundation and arsenal would be much better at UW as long as Pete let him run the show. I wanted him when we hired Bush. I could very well be wrong though. I'm just getting Vernon Adams and Bo Mitchell flashbacks. His EWU offenses were lethal. Yes, big boy football is a different game.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    IDGAF about replacing assistants. It’s always been bull shit. This cluster fuck starts at the top. If Jonathan Smith isn’t proof enough to know this is on Pete. Hire Urban or UW is done here.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,966
    edited November 2019
    Pete’s offense is meh at best, but it takes a special kinda stupid to spend the entire game running into run blitzes on first down. A special kind of stupid that even smurf didn’t do when he was OC. When even Rod Gilmore is calling you out it’s bad...

And to add insult to injury, I bet Brownsocks would have won that game going away because he would have audibled out of a lot of those FS calls.

And the problem is going to be if you can bring in an OC when most of the offensive staff is on 2 year deals...how many of his own guys is he going to want to bring in as assistants?

And I love me some Jimmy but I think everyone is going to look back after he moves on and think he’s a much better head coach than DC.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Isn’t it kind of a paradox to say that Pete doesn’t have the passion for coaching but also cares enough to maintain his death-grip on the offense?

Pete’s not going anywhere, might as well attempt to rearrange the deck chairs...

Lake can walk if he wants, he takes up a huge amount of resources, DB recruiting is way below what it probably should be given the results from the past 4 years, the defensive scheme isn’t all that great, play was pretty poor this year.

Gregory should be fired, the LB play is some of the worst I’ve ever seen. It took 3/4 of the season to figure out that the walk-on was the best LB of the div3 LB group. Hire Cort Dennison because I’ve always had a soft spot for him and his beer gut.

Huff should be put on notice/probation, the recruiting is great, the OL play was bad...

Junior Adams should be put on notice/probation. If the WRs have the same problem next year drop his ass at the first bye. First year but if he is actually in charge of WR rotations like everyone claims he is a full retard. Continuing to play bacellia and fuller is so fucking irritating. At least Bynum looks decent and he has some good recruits.

Bush should be fired, he is getting paid way to much and has way too much talent to put up this shit offense. The only thing that saves the offense is hiring an established OC or former HC that will tell Pete to fuck off. It will cost money, use the left over money from Lake and pay someone, anyone. Fuck tell Pete to use part of his salary to get Tedford if he has to. Let the OC bring their own QB, WR, or RB coach if they want and figure out how to make room.

• whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    Two comments. First the offense. If Pete is not going to give up control then it is a waste of time and money to fire Hamdan. If he is willing to give up control I would immediately go to the staffs of both Oklahoma and LSU and look at whoever is immediately under their OC and consider them. They both probably have QB coaches who are indoctrinated into those highly successful offenses and possibly ready to make the step up to OC. I think that is a realistic approach and option.
    Now the defense. I'm going against the grain here in saying I don't care if Jimmy Lake wants to go. His recruiting is good not great. There are some techniques that i see in his DB's that drive me up the wall so there's that. But mostly it's the defensive philosophy. Since he has become DC all the talk has been about DBU. I hate it. Great defenses are built from the front back not the reverse. I want to be front 7 U. Great front 7's can make a mediocre secondary look good but the opposite just doesn't work. Since Jimmy came in there's much more of a bendable defensive philosophy and I'm done with it. I'm 100% fine with Coach K coming back at DC and letting Harris coach DB's. If he hasn't picked up Jimmy's teachings by now then he can go to.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,678 Standard Supporter
    Jimmy Lake will beat Cuog again Friday and talk shit. He'll become the board's darling once again.

Except he doesn't deserve it.

#teamkwiat