Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Josh Conerly, 2022 5* OL, Seattle (Rainier Beach), WA (Offered)

Comments

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,512
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    A new HC / OC would definitely consider retaining Huff due to his body of work. Lake / JonDon's body of work together started in 2020 and gets more and more crumpled as it goes on:

https://gohuskies.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/scott-huff/4191
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,683
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Huff

Doog legend
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    chuck said:

I'm not positive that Huff has shown his quality as an OL coach due to the ridiculous offenses and overly complicated blocking schemes he's been required to teach.

But...I am sure that his unit sucks now when he has a shit ton of 4* recruits with 2-3 years in the program to work with, and the excuse I made for him before was that he needed time to coach up his guys. He has had time.

Any discussion of retaining any of these failed coaches is senseless. When you remove cancer you have to remove all of it or it comes back. Lake is the biggest source of it but he's not going anywhere. Given that, I'll support him going into next season if and only if he replaces his entire staff. I dont think it will fix things, and he'll probably lose me in the first game again, but it's the only chance there is.

Hence #FireEverybody
  • louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 330
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited October 2021
    chuck said:

I'm not positive that Huff has shown his quality as an OL coach due to the ridiculous offenses and overly complicated blocking schemes he's been required to teach.

But...I am sure that his unit sucks now when he has a shit ton of 4* recruits with 2-3 years in the program to work with, and the excuse I made for him before was that he needed time to coach up his guys. He has had time.

Any discussion of retaining any of these failed coaches is senseless. When you remove cancer you have to remove all of it or it comes back. Lake is the biggest source of it but he's not going anywhere. Given that, I'll support him going into next season if and only if he replaces his entire staff. I dont think it will fix things, and he'll probably lose me in the first game again, but it's the only chance there is.

Think of how bad Jimmy fucked up the ONE hire he had to make thus far. Now, imagine him having to replace 5-6 coaches in a single offseason... it ain't going to happen. Jimmy is too lazy to want/care about a rebuild of that magnitude. Jon Don will be gone after the season because Jimmy's job will depend on it after going 5-7 but that will be the end of it.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Think of how bad Jimmy fucked up the ONE hire he had to make thus far. Now, imagine him having to replace 5-6 coaches in a single offseason... it ain't going to happen. Jimmy is too lazy to want/care about a rebuild of that magnitude. Jon Don will be gone after the season because Jimmy's job will depend on it after going 5-7 but that will be the end of it.
    All true. He'd better try though. Changing one staff member isn't going to fix anything.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    my biggest fear is firing JL and big tits will promote JD
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

LebamDawg said:

She’s not that dumb, right?
    She's not that dumb but I could definitely see her hiring someone who just got fired for sucking at another job, similar to the Willingham hiring. Someone like Justin Wilcox
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 3,967
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

LebamDawg said:

She’s not that dumb, right?
    Not a chance would either be Gregory or Malloe
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Conerly is in the bag

Huff is an elite recruiter
  • bluechipuwrecruitsbluechipuwrecruits Member Posts: 394
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I would not call Huff elite.
  • PasadenaHuskyFanPasadenaHuskyFan Member Posts: 611
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited December 2021

Conerly is in the bag

no one would argue Huff is an elite recruiter. He has had good recruiting results in the past. If he beats out USC for conerly. that is a good indication that deboner made the right move keeping him. If not, door ass out.

call him a tbs legend. But talent acquisition matters. That's a hill I am willing to die on.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I would not call Huff elite.

Watch it
  • ChillyDawgChillyDawg Member Posts: 1,469
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited December 2021

Conerly is in the bag

That's a very easy conclusion to come to after seeing his father's response to a recent DeBoer recruiting post on Twitter.

Conerly Jr will be a Dawg...WOOF!

Conerly is in the bag

no one would argue Huff is an elite recruiter. He has had good recruiting results in the past. If he beats out USC for conerly. that is a good indication that deboner made the right move keeping him. If not, door ass out.

call him a tbs legend. But talent acquisition matters. That's a hill I am willing to die on.
    His final two colleges that he was deciding between were the UW & Michigan. Michigan is who the UW beat out for Conerly Jr.
    edited December 2021
    Seattle Times https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/washington-states-top-football-recruit-rainier-beachs-josh-conerly-jr-will-still-be-weighing-options-on-signing-day/
    Washington state’s top football recruit, Rainier Beach’s Josh Conerly Jr., will still be weighing options on signing day

Rainier Beach’s gym will be decorated with balloons and signs in the school’s colors for football’s early signing period Wednesday, but Josh Conerly Jr. plans to remain a spectator.

The five-star offensive lineman, the top recruit in the state for the Class of 2022 according to 247Sports.com, is going to stick to his decision to wait for the second signing period in February to announce where he’ll continue his playing career. And that’s because of the uncertainty that often comes this time of year for NCAA coaches.

Conerly, who is 6 feet 5, 280 pounds, said the coaching carousel won’t sway his final pick, but it’s an unavoidable part of making a commitment. Three of the five schools he was considering in Washington, USC and Oklahoma, have undergone staff changes.

“You see it now. There’s so much change that ends up happening right now, you just can never be sure,” Conerly said. “I can’t really give a top five (schools). It’s kind of wide open now, honestly. Most of the schools that have hired coaches have made great hires. But it does change interest a little bit, not too much because I still know the coaches as people. It’s more of a people thing than programs and stuff like that.”

Instead, the ceremony at Beach on Wednesday will focus on Vikings senior Jaelin Green. The three-star receiver is expected to sign with Eastern Washington.

Conerly and Green have been teammates since Day 1 in the sport. They led the Beacon Hill Cowboys to a youth championship as 8-year-olds. Conerly isn’t hard to spot in the highlight clips, but he’s in an unexpected position as a quick running back.

“I’m very happy for my guy. It’s been a long journey,” Conerly said of Green. “I’ll be there watching him and getting myself ready because I’m going to have to do that eventually. Probably take some notes.”

Beach coach Corey Sampson was the one who moved Conerly to lineman after his freshman season. The Vikings advanced to the Class 3A state tournament quarterfinals in 2018 and graduated about 40 players, including five-star lineman Nate Kalepo, who plays for Washington.

Aside from the Vikings needing a lineman, Conerly grew out of the running back and even tight end like the Hulk and his infamous T-shirt. Kalepo was one of Conerly’s mentors as he transitioned to the position.

“Running the ball was fun, but I feel like I have so much more passion for the game because I play such an underappreciated spot,” Conerly said. “It’s becoming more appreciated nowadays with social media and stuff.

“Offensive linemen are recognized more than ever. There were times that I didn’t like it because I didn’t understand. But there was never a point of quitting. … Switching positions changed my life forever. I’m so appreciative of it.”

Conerly also had to take on a leadership role for Beach. He said the task was difficult at first because he was learning the new position and didn’t want to lead without understanding what the coaches wanted. Leading became more challenging once the coronavirus pandemic hit in March 2020.

The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association, in complying with Gov. Jay Inslee’s orders, shut down high-school sports until last spring. Most football teams were limited to five games.

Conerly was already highly recruited and able to attend premier camps, like the Stack Sports Regional Showcase in Oregon. His main routine was motivating teammates to show up at Beach’s field for training after online classes.

The Vikings missed two weeks of competition this season due to positive tests for COVID-19. Beach still advanced to the state tournament quarterfinals, losing to eventual champion Bellevue.

“He’s always wanted to be a leader,” Sampson said. “He embraced it and leads by example and his word, as well. And it was real challenging. There were no pep assemblies, no prom, no homecoming dance, no locker room last year and you can’t relax because of COVID.

“It’s difficult to see those guys get robbed of things, like even the bus rides and sitting apart from each other. It was challenging, but I’m real proud of those guys.”

Conerly, who was selected to the All-American game and Polynesian Bowl, is hoping his college experience is more traditional — once the coaching decisions are settled.

Conerly is most familiar with the situation at UW. He cultivated a positive relationship with offensive line coach Scott Huff and former head coach Jimmy Lake. The latter was fired after just 13 games over two seasons.

UW recently hired Kalen DeBoer, whose last stop was at Fresno State. Conerly said he still frequently talks to Huff, who he expects to remain on staff.

Michigan, with its success and coaching stability, hasn’t been able to secure a commit from Conerly. His first and only official visit was to Ann Arbor for the Washington game in September. Wolverines offensive line coach Sherrone Moore was also Conerly’s first official home visit last week.

“It was pretty fun,” Conerly said. “Me and Coach Moore already have a relationship, so it was kind of just like we were just chillin’.

“I’m glad I’ve even had an opportunity to do something like this and feel we’re blessed.”