Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Percy article on the freshmen

2»

Comments

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I also always hated how Romar completely broke Pondexter down before building him up again. Pondexter scores 25 in one half vs Arizona. He had holes in his game, but we should have still gotten a lot more out of him. He was pretty useless until the end of his junior year.

I don’t know if I put that on Romar. Good players can have big games, but without experience they lack consistency.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Reminds me of Errol Knight going off in his debut then basically never having a big scoring game again.
  • rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Phil Nelson. The pride of Salem OR. What a trip down memory lane
  • ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,810
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

It’s not a comparison. The 2006 recruiting class was incredibly overrated. Hawes was probably the 5th or 6th best night man in the conference. Both Lopez bro’s, Taj Gibson, Ryan Anderson, and Baynes were all better. I’ll get an argument against Baynes, but he punked Hawes every time they played. Hawes could score down low. That was it.

Stewart is going to be way better and could actually be the best out of the guys listed above. McDaniels is oozing potential and will probably be a top 5 pick after the season.

We could be very good. Stewart’s leadership and mindset is huge.

PAC-10 used to have a bunch of quality bigs. You didn’t even mention anyone from the FF UCLA team, Radenovic or Jordan Hill from AZ, Devin Hardin was also on that Cal team with Andersen, and of course Roellaand Shaeftenar from the Beav!!!

UW had Hawes, Brockman, and Pondexter. But finished fucking 7th since the guards sucked.
    FTG
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Love the freshmen ... But honestly, is Stewart the black Jon brockman or what?

More skilled or less skilled?
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2019
    animate said:

That’s a god awful comparison. Stewart is the best big to ever wear a UW uniform better than Hawes, Brockman etc.

If you want a comparison I’d say a more skilled Montrelz Harrell who is a 18 and 10 guy rn for the clippers.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

animate said:

That’s a god awful comparison. Stewart is the best big to ever wear a UW uniform better than Hawes, Brockman etc.

If you want a comparison I’d say a more skilled Montrelz Harrell who is a 18 and 10 guy rn for the clippers.
    You mean he's no Jon brockman with dreads?

I like it.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2019
    animate said:

animate said:

You mean he's no Jon brockman with dreads?

I like it.
    Jon Brockman is a UW legend but he couldn’t hold Isaiah’s jock strap talent wise
    Agree about Brock btw. Brockman was the perfect college basketball player. He was nowhere near as good as Stewart as a frosh though.

Put freshman Stewart on senior BRoy's team instead of frosh Brockman and that team tears down the nets.

See above tweet for doog context.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I thought Upshaw was an amazing center on defense, but Stewart is probably even better because he can defend on the perimeter and isn’t far behind as a shot blocker.

I thought Upshaw was an amazing center on defense, but Stewart is probably even better because he can defend on the perimeter and isn’t far behind as a shot blocker.

Mmmm not sure I can get behind that. Upshaw was nothing special offensively but that team completely fell apart after he left. I think he was the best defender I ever saw at UW.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    dnc said:

Mmmm not sure I can get behind that. Upshaw was nothing special offensively but that team completely fell apart after he left. I think he was the best defender I ever saw at UW.
    Thybulle is the best defender

Upshaw was incredible for that half a season he played for UW... 4.5 blocks plus countless others altered... it was amazing, dude was on track to smash national records...

Such a waste for a guy that won the genetic lottery, all he had to do is just not deal coke and make millions playing a game instead.
    Houhusky said:

dnc said:

Thybulle is the best defender

Upshaw was incredible for that half a season he played for UW... 4.5 blocks plus countless others altered... it was amazing, dude was on track to smash national records...

Such a waste for a guy that won the genetic lottery, all he had to do is just not deal coke and make millions playing a game instead.
    For a career Thybulle no doubt.

But Upshaw was more disruptive on a per minute basis than Thybulle IMO.

Can't go wrong with either of them.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I was a big fan of Upshaw. Dominant defensive center. He really was maybe the best shot blocker in many years in college basketball. He has Stewart beat there, although Stewart still blocks and affects a lot of shots. Where Stewart has Upshaw beat is on the perimeter.

It’s a good debate to who was the more dominant defender with Thybulle and Upshaw.