Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Percy article on the freshmen

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/uws-fab-freshman-isaiah-stewart-and-jaden-mcdaniels-are-a-perfect-pair-for-the-huskies/?utm_content=buffera6a9c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_sports

Some very choice quotes here. Haven't seen freshman hype soaring through the heavens like this since the 2006 Hawes/QPon/Oliver/Wide-eared-guy-who-transferred-to-Portland-State. Kind of hyped for Baylor game.

- “[Stewart] will make a difference in the culture of our program for the next 20 years,” Hopkins said. “I truly believe that. That’s just who he is. If guys are down, he hugs them. If the locker room is dirty, he’ll get guys to clean it up.

- "He’s relentless and just wears you down. The guy is a monster. Ever since I can remember, he’s always been that GOAT.”— Nahziah Carter on Isaiah Stewart

Perhaps UW junior guard Nahziah Carter put it best when he described Stewart, a rugged 250-pound forward, “as an attack dog that you unleash on opponents.”

- McDaniels added: “He’s the biggest, baddest dude on the team and when he gets in the paint there’s not a lot of people that can stop him. So just being able to stop him is a big thing."

- Meanwhile, UW redshirt freshman forward Nate Roberts provided a frightening scouting report on McDaniels, a versatile 200-pound wing, when he said: “He’s unguardable.”

“There’s not anything he can’t do,” Roberts said.

- He rebounds and blocks shots like a big, but he shoots, dribbles and passes like a guard. He’s next level.’ — Nate Roberts on Jaden McDaniels

- “I’ll say this about Isaiah, playing against him every day has made me a better player." McDaniels said. "Isaiah brings the best out of you because he forces you to raise your game. If you don’t, he’ll embarrass you.” That sentiment makes Hopkins smile. The UW coach believes “steel sharpens steel” and is counting on the Huskies’ super-sized roster highlighted by seven players 6-9 or taller will improve throughout the season.

“Those two kids are just scratching the surface (of their talent),” he said. “You see glimpses of it in practice. They’ll make plays where you’re like, omigod are you kidding me?

Comments

• ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I hate to do it to myself but my expectations are so fucking high for this team that I'm talking myself into an Elite 8 type of season. Stewart and McDaniels are lottery picks. BPJ and Roberts are both athletic dudes who can wreak havoc in our zone and contribute a bit on offense. Naz should be all conference. Quade Green brings intensity and can score. Bey should take the next step this year....

I never been this excited for a season of Husky basketball.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think we're going to throw up a lot of clunkers due to our youth and thin guard depth, but this will be the most fun team we'll have watched since the Nate Rob days. Stewart alone is going to be worth the price of admission.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gladstone said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/uws-fab-freshman-isaiah-stewart-and-jaden-mcdaniels-are-a-perfect-pair-for-the-huskies/?utm_content=buffera6a9c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_sports

Some very choice quotes here. Haven't seen freshman hype soaring through the heavens like this since the 2006 Hawes/QPon/Oliver/Wide-eared-guy-who-transferred-to-Portland-State. Kind of hyped for Baylor game.

- “[Stewart] will make a difference in the culture of our program for the next 20 years,” Hopkins said. “I truly believe that. That’s just who he is. If guys are down, he hugs them. If the locker room is dirty, he’ll get guys to clean it up.

- "He’s relentless and just wears you down. The guy is a monster. Ever since I can remember, he’s always been that GOAT.”— Nahziah Carter on Isaiah Stewart

Perhaps UW junior guard Nahziah Carter put it best when he described Stewart, a rugged 250-pound forward, “as an attack dog that you unleash on opponents.”

- McDaniels added: “He’s the biggest, baddest dude on the team and when he gets in the paint there’s not a lot of people that can stop him. So just being able to stop him is a big thing."

- Meanwhile, UW redshirt freshman forward Nate Roberts provided a frightening scouting report on McDaniels, a versatile 200-pound wing, when he said: “He’s unguardable.”

- He rebounds and blocks shots like a big, but he shoots, dribbles and passes like a guard. He’s next level.’ — Nate Roberts on Jaden McDaniels

- “I’ll say this about Isaiah, playing against him every day has made me a better player." McDaniels said. "Isaiah brings the best out of you because he forces you to raise your game. If you don’t, he’ll embarrass you.” That sentiment makes Hopkins smile. The UW coach believes “steel sharpens steel” and is counting on the Huskies’ super-sized roster highlighted by seven players 6-9 or taller will improve throughout the season.

“Those two kids are just scratching the surface (of their talent),” he said. “You see glimpses of it in practice. They’ll make plays where you’re like, omigod are you kidding me?

Sad too see how far Phil Nelson has fallen.
    If we make the Elite 8 I'll lose my mind.

Highly unlikely we go further than that.

Should be a fun team to watch if Quade can handle the point decently.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Im dooging at full mast...

Which will make the inevitable disappointment hurt that much more.

Ive learned to like it.
  • GayThoughtsGayThoughts Member Posts: 428
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I love the freshmen and the thought of having a competent primary ball handler, but I’m most chinterested in seeing what Nate Roberts can do tonight. He’s been hyped up all off-season and came in as a 3-4 year guy. His development would signal good things to come this year and beyond.

I love the freshmen and the thought of having a competent primary ball handler, but I’m most chinterested in seeing what Nate Roberts can do tonight. He’s been hyped up all off-season and came in as a 3-4 year guy. His development would signal good things to come this year and beyond.

Agree, outside of Quade it's the biggest question of the season (and beyond) for me.

I think we're going to throw up a lot of clunkers due to our youth and thin guard depth, but this will be the most fun team we'll have watched since the Nate Rob days. Stewart alone is going to be worth the price of admission.

I agree with this but the Senior B Roy team was pretty damn fun, as was the MBA-IT-Justin Holliday-VO team.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Youth in college basketball is overrated when you have elite talent like Stewart and McDaniels. Honestly we aren’t that young. It just so happens that we got 2 top 10 picks that are freshmen. Everyone else has had 2-3 years in the program. But yeah if Quade gets in foul trouble or something we could be fucked. He’ll play 32+ a night.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Youth in college basketball is overrated when you have elite talent like Stewart and McDaniels. Honestly we aren’t that young. It just so happens that we got 2 top 10 picks that are freshmen. Everyone else has had 2-3 years in the program. But yeah if Quade gets in foul trouble or something we could be fucked. He’ll play 32+ a night.
    Assuming Quade doesn’t suck...who plays PG when he needs rest or gets in foul trouble?

Low key hoping it’s Bey.

If he sucks we fucked anyways.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

And it was Oliver, not Nelson, who had the Dumbo ears. Whoops lol
    Gladstone said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

And it was Oliver, not Nelson, who had the Dumbo ears. Whoops lol
    All those four star freshman flameout transfers look alike.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

It’s not a comparison. The 2006 recruiting class was incredibly overrated. Hawes was probably the 5th or 6th best night man in the conference. Both Lopez bro’s, Taj Gibson, Ryan Anderson, and Baynes were all better. I’ll get an argument against Baynes, but he punked Hawes every time they played. Hawes could score down low. That was it.

Stewart is going to be way better and could actually be the best out of the guys listed above. McDaniels is oozing potential and will probably be a top 5 pick after the season.

We could be very good. Stewart’s leadership and mindset is huge.

PAC-10 used to have a bunch of quality bigs. You didn’t even mention anyone from the FF UCLA team, Radenovic or Jordan Hill from AZ, Devin Hardin was also on that Cal team with Andersen, and of course Roellaand Shaeftenar from the Beav!!!

UW had Hawes, Brockman, and Pondexter. But finished fucking 7th since the guards sucked.

It’s not a comparison. The 2006 recruiting class was incredibly overrated. Hawes was probably the 5th or 6th best night man in the conference. Both Lopez bro’s, Taj Gibson, Ryan Anderson, and Baynes were all better. I’ll get an argument against Baynes, but he punked Hawes every time they played. Hawes could score down low. That was it.

Stewart is going to be way better and could actually be the best out of the guys listed above. McDaniels is oozing potential and will probably be a top 5 pick after the season.

A couple of things on Hawes:

Wasn't he sick for a good chunk of the year?

He would have been significantly better with some decent guard play.

ATBS, I agree Stewart is going to be significantly better.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,065
    Am I the only guy who thought Green’s first name was pronounced “Quay-de” and not “Quah-day”? I was all set with Total Recall quotes to tell him to get his ass to Mars, but that’s ruined now.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Baynes is still in the league. Hawes is not.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I also always hated how Romar completely broke Pondexter down before building him up again. Pondexter scores 25 in one half vs Arizona. He had holes in his game, but we should have still gotten a lot more out of him. He was pretty useless until the end of his junior year.