Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

This year reminds me a lot of 2015

PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,580 Swaye's Wigwam
edited November 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
Close games that end in losses, lot of new faces playing big roles, lot of upperclassmen who are kind of good but not great (how will we ever replace Adams and Harris?!?!), new QB, etc.

I'm not really that pissed anymore. This was not a team capable of winning an NY6 so I dont really care about the bowl games below that.

Next year is a big turning point for the program. Can Petersen be honest with himself and get the program back to a conference title? Will we break in a Sirmon or Morris and have another mediocre year?

This year sucks but Petersen has overall done a good job. It will be interesting to see how he responds to adversity.

LIFPO for now. The expectation has to be a North title next year.

Comments

• BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    I agree with some points you made. I think many people on these boards have been way too hard on the younger players. Guys like Opera and Smellington have earned every bit of the shit talk.

I disagree with Pete doing a good job this year. He has done a piss poor job this year. This team, even breaking in all the new compents, should be no worse than 7-2 right now. 5-4 is not acceptable with this team in this conference.

This is a turning point for Pete. We will see what type of coach he is. If he trots out the same bullshit next year well there you go. I thought he was going to make some changes after the Rose Bowl and that sure as hell didn't happen
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    nope, the players are regressing and it is supposedly a more talented roster
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited November 2019
    The only problem with this scenario is that Oregon is now BACK and expects to be vying for conference titles every year. Stanford isn't going to stay shitty for very long either. Forget about USC. They are way too woke to hire a dude like Urban.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,675 Founders Club

The only problem with this scenario is that Oregon is now BACK and expects to be vying for conference titles every year. Stanford isn't going to stay shitty for very long either.

Stanford and UW have been winning the north and the league

Maybe finish this year then pop off

2014 was a while ago

The only problem with this scenario is that Oregon is now BACK and expects to be vying for conference titles every year. Stanford isn't going to stay shitty for very long either.

Stanford and UW have been winning the north and the league

Maybe finish this year then pop off

2014 was a while ago
    Oregon has dominated the conference enough this decade to pop off whenever and wherever. When these two north conference juggernauts win a playoff game, maybe they can popoff then.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,580 Swaye's Wigwam

The only problem with this scenario is that Oregon is now BACK and expects to be vying for conference titles every year. Stanford isn't going to stay shitty for very long either. Forget about USC. They are way too woke to hire a dude like Urban.

Oregon is likely going to regress next year regardless of how this year ends

Serious question for you. How much talent does Oregon have returning next year?

The returning OL starts can be misleading but Oregon has benefited from those guys getting experience + good coaching.

I look at that team and can see them dropping back to 7-5 or 8-4 next year but that’s coming from someone who doesn’t follow them.
    The biggest challenge will replacing Herbert. He's no Mariota, but he's competent and experienced, and has shown the ability to finish off and win games when he's needed. The OL will lose some guys, so it will be a less experienced group over all. Losing linebacker Troy Dye will hurt. Recruiting continues to be hot, and Oregon continues to pull in some of the best recruits in the nation to fill the voids. I don't see a drop to 7-5 or 8-4 unless the new QB is a dud. Not likely though, as this team is typically known for its high quality players at the most important position. Also no other team in the conference really appears to be on the rise, with most of the recent conference powers trending down instead of up. The early test against tOSU will be the most difficult game of the regular season.
  • halfbrainmanmolderhalfbrainmanmolder Member Posts: 215

I agree with some points you made. I think many people on these boards have been way too hard on the younger players. Guys like Opera and Smellington have earned every bit of the shit talk.

I disagree with Pete doing a good job this year. He has done a piss poor job this year. This team, even breaking in all the new compents, should be no worse than 7-2 right now. 5-4 is not acceptable with this team in this conference.

This is a turning point for Pete. We will see what type of coach he is. If he trots out the same bullshit next year well there you go. I thought he was going to make some changes after the Rose Bowl and that sure as hell didn't happen

Dont misunderstand me - Pete had done a fucking horrible job this year. Most of the losses he has been outcoached.

If
    he can make some adjustments and get an experienced pissed off roster playing well next year, another conference title should be the expectation.
    I am with you as far as letting this year go but that "if" is what worries me. There are some valid reasons for not having a good year such as a complete lack of capable players at ILBs and the youth at defensive side. However, the insistence of playing Manu and Opera Singer, the piss poor game day play call/adjustment, the inability to win close games are not going to change in a year (except manure and singer are gone, thank goodness but he will have other ways to fuck up the roster management). Unless he hires a proven OC and refrains from meddling himself right away, I am not optimistic because many things went wrong this season that was not a talent/youth issue alone.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,451 Founders Club

I see it as the inverse of 2015, where in year 2 we* had some young guys popping and got better as the season went on. Won a couple we shouldn’t. I felt like I could see where the program was trying to go.

In year 6, I don’t.

Totally in the same boat. Here's a list of the guys playing/starting in 2015 that made up the nucleus of the 2016 team:

defense: Vita/Greg/Qualls/Jaylen/Mathis/Azeem/Keyshaun/Budda/Sydney/Kevin
    Honorable mention: Turner/Jordan Miller/Mcintosh

Offense: Browning/Gaskin/Tre/Kaleb/Shelton/Eldenkamp/Daniels/Sample/Pettis

The 2016 Defense reminded me of the Emtman/Hoffman/Clifford/Hall/Tommie Smith/Shane P at the end of 89 which started the 3 year run.

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    This feels more like 2014 than 2015 to me ... but you can see the parallels

Only way this moves to 2015 is if Eason stays
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,453 Swaye's Wigwam

Another thought, there are basically 5 coaches in CFB immune to down years, tops.

Saban, Dabo, Urban, Smart, and Riley. 2 of those inherited good situations recently, Smart and Riley.

If our floor is an 8-4, 7-5 season then whatever. It just cant be more than a year in the "cellar" or else all the progress we made is fucking gone.

Next year our entire starting lineup seems like it will be highly rated 4 stars. It's time to beat Michigan and go undefeated. If Eason returns that is my expectation.

At this point I see no reason or indication to think that this coaching staff has an undefeated season in them.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,597
    edited November 2019

Oregon is likely going to regress next year regardless of how this year ends
    Defense will be better (everyone coming back except Dye and Winston). Offense will take a step back, especially early, with a new QB and 4 OL starters. The schedule is a lot easier, however.