Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official Defending Western Conference Runner-up Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Miami at the 🥀center
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2020
    ntxduck said:

Rockets not playing a single guy over 6’7 and beating LA is intriguing. Say what you want about them, at least Morey and Dantoni are always open to trying anything.

I think the Rockets are better than they have been in the past. They will get a center like Tristan Thompson once guys get bought out. It’s hard to believe in a D’Antoni team, but I think they have a chance to make noise. Still hard to see anyone but the LA teams winning the West.
    I wouldn’t want to play Denver in a 7 game series (altitude!?!).

Jokic played awful the first 6 weeks, they’ve been racked by injuries (millsap, Murray, grant) the last 6 weeks, and they’re somehow still a half game out of 2nd.
    I buy the Rockets more than the Nuggets. Nuggets are no threat. The Rockets at least have two stars. Westbrook is quietly playing very well and has improved as the season has gone on.

Side note on the Nuggets, Michael Porter Jr looks great and would be averaging 20 a game if he got the chance on a lesser team.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

Rockets not playing a single guy over 6’7 and beating LA is intriguing. Say what you want about them, at least Morey and Dantoni are always open to trying anything.

I think the Rockets are better than they have been in the past. They will get a center like Tristan Thompson once guys get bought out. It’s hard to believe in a D’Antoni team, but I think they have a chance to make noise. Still hard to see anyone but the LA teams winning the West.

Jokic played awful the first 6 weeks, they’ve been racked by injuries (millsap, Murray, grant) the last 6 weeks, and they’re somehow still a half game out of 2nd.
    I buy the Rockets more than the Nuggets. Nuggets are no threat. The Rockets at least have two stars. Westbrook is quietly playing very well and has improved as the season has gone on.

Side note on the Nuggets, Michael Porter Jr looks great and would be averaging 20 a game if he got the chance on a lesser team.
    I rather have jokic than Westbrook or harden.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,492
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Clips are the easy favorite. No team with Westbrook is winning a title.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2020
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

C’mon. That isn’t true. I like Jokic too but both Westbrook and Harden have been doing it for longer and both have won a lot more than Jokic has. Harden over Jokic is a no-brainer. Westbrook you could argue either way, but I would take him over Jokic too. I think it’s easy to not like Westbrook and Harden and that is clouding your opinion.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

C’mon. That isn’t true. I like Jokic too but both Westbrook and Harden have been doing it for longer and both have won a lot more than Jokic has. Harden over Jokic is a no-brainer. Westbrook you could argue either way, but I would take him over Jokic too. I think it’s easy to not like Westbrook and Harden and that is clouding your opinion.
    Westbrook has been clowned enough times in the playoffs. Harden can't carry a team and disappears too many times as well. Give me the Joker
  • Options

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

I rather have jokic than Westbrook or harden. Considering age, I’d go
    1. Giannis
    2. Luka
    3. AD
    4. Kawhi
    5. Jokic
    6. Lbj

I like Russ, but don’t think he’s that good and as his athleticism declines his lack of a jumper will get exposed. I hate harden, and think he’s an awful teammate.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2020
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

1. Giannis
    2. Luka
    3. AD
    4. Kawhi
    5. Jokic
    6. Lbj

I like Russ, but don’t think he’s that good and as his athleticism declines his lack of a jumper will get exposed. I hate harden, and think he’s an awful teammate.
    Jokic is a couple years away from being a real liability on defense. He’s already bad. His offense, especially his passing is so good that he will be valuable for awhile. I just don’t see him as a guy you can win a championship with as a #1.

Harden has disappeared a few times in the playoffs but is capable of a Dirk like run where he dominates. I don’t see that with Jokic. Good player on a pretty good team that lacks a star.

Can’t say I would rather have him than Siakam. Siakam will be better for longer and plays a more important position in today’s NBA. Multi positional defenders that can average 25 are the most valuable players.
  • Options

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

1. Giannis
    2. Luka
    3. AD
    4. Kawhi
    5. Jokic
    6. Lbj

Jokic is a couple years away from being a real liability on defense. He’s already bad. His offense, especially his passing is so good that he will be valuable for awhile. I just don’t see him as a guy you can win a championship with as a #1.

Harden has disappeared a few times in the playoffs but is capable of a Dirk like run where he dominates. I don’t see that with Jokic. Good player on a pretty good team that lacks a star.

Can’t say I would rather have him than Siakam. Siakam will be better for longer and plays a more important position in today’s NBA. Multi positional defenders that can average 25 are the most valuable players.
    I like siakam a lot, but no gm in the league would take him over jokic
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

1. Giannis
    2. Luka
    3. AD
    4. Kawhi
    5. Jokic
    6. Lbj

Noted omission so noted.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fucking destroyed by the Pelicans. Terrible showing in the second half and dominated so bad in the 3rd quarter that starters didn't even play the 4th.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Well down by 12 with no signs of a comeback makes me think this game is over, as is the season.

Needed Nurk and Collins plus the current roster, team is just burned out going into the all Star break and Memphis and New Orleans just look like much better teams.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Whiteside ejected. Probably the two worst games he's played all year.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

1. Giannis
    2. Luka
    3. AD
    4. Kawhi
    5. Jokic
    6. Lbj

Jokic is good but that is way too high. I doubt he’s all that good past 30. Still would rather have Durant. Embiid probably. Simmons too. Embiid and Simmons just aren’t a fit together and have maybe the worst coach in the NBA. Brett Brown should have been fired three years ago. Towns maybe. Maybe Tatum and Zion.

Jokic is a very good player but he wouldn’t go top 10 in an open draft.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

1. Giannis
    2. Luka
    3. AD
    4. Kawhi
    5. Jokic
    6. Lbj

Jokic is good but that is way too high. I doubt he’s all that good past 30. Still would rather have Durant. Embiid probably. Simmons too. Embiid and Simmons just aren’t a fit together and have maybe the worst coach in the NBA. Brett Brown should have been fired three years ago. Towns maybe. Maybe Tatum and Zion.

Why won’t he be good past 30? Guys who’s games is based on athleticism fade after 30. That’s not Jokic. And he’s the #3 9-cat per min player in the league this year, so I think saying he wouldn’t go top 10 is absurd

KD is above him pre injury but need to wait and see how he bounces back. Returns on guys who have that type of injury aren’t promising
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2020
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

1. Giannis
    2. Luka
    3. AD
    4. Kawhi
    5. Jokic
    6. Lbj

Why won’t he be good past 30? Guys who’s games is based on athleticism fade after 30. That’s not Jokic. And he’s the #3 9-cat per min player in the league this year, so I think saying he wouldn’t go top 10 is absurd

KD is above him pre injury but need to wait and see how he bounces back. Returns on guys who have that type of injury aren’t promising
    He’s going to get too slow on defense. I agree that his size, passing, and touch will make it so he continues to be good. It’s just hard to get away without a rim protector at center and I think he becomes a role player sooner than some other guys. Any athleticism he loses is going to hurt him because he never was a great athlete.

Bam Adebayo and Donovan Mitchell are two others that I would debate against Jokic. I just don’t see Jokic ever winning anything at this point.

Jokic playing with 4 shooters would be lethal tho. Put him on the Warriors the last few seasons and they wouldn’t have lost more than a couple of games. He is one of the best passing big men in the game but the defensive liabilities at maybe the most important defensive position make me iffy about whether he really is a franchise player on a championship team.

I’m going all over the place, but injuries or not, how Michael Porter slipped to 14th in the draft is crazy. There aren’t many guys as tall and skilled as he is. He could average 25 if he played big, starter minutes right now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

#MyGrizz

Of the 3 teams competing for the 8 spot, Memphis has a brutal schedule for the rest of the season. Blazers have a relatively easy schedule.

However Pelicans will be facing nothing but 🧁 🧁 🧁

Probably going to be them if Zion finishes out the season healthy.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    haie said:

dnc said:

#MyGrizz

Of the 3 teams competing for the 8 spot, Memphis has a brutal schedule for the rest of the season. Blazers have a relatively easy schedule.

However Pelicans will be facing nothing but 🧁 🧁 🧁

Probably going to be them if Zion finishes out the season healthy.
    Yeah I'd bet on the Pels myself, especially with Dame's health up in the air.

Memphis has a real future though, which isn't something I expected.