Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Attention to Detail

2»

Comments

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Husky lore about the 2000- team is that in 1999 after opening with two losses the Woodenville guys, Tui and Coniff, went to Rick and showed him on a napkin how they ran the option

All of a sudden the offensive genius Rick scrapped his offense and went to the option.

Ground and fucking pound with about 5 plays. When they did throw it was wide open

Not saying we need the option, just agreeing that simple is better.

Lombardi drew up the sweep on a chalkboard and showed the whole league how they ran it, Still couldn't stop it

If you're going to hang your hat on execution then execute half the play book

Back when I was in HS, state juggernaut South Kitsap ran 4 plays. Total. Off tackle, toss sweep, play action pass with intermediate routes and a fullback dive—their favorite audible. They were an open book and never changed their audible signals (“Cat” was the dive audible)

Even though we knew what was coming, we couldn’t stop it. That was a mindfuck all in itself
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,572 Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Husky lore about the 2000- team is that in 1999 after opening with two losses the Woodenville guys, Tui and Coniff, went to Rick and showed him on a napkin how they ran the option

All of a sudden the offensive genius Rick scrapped his offense and went to the option.

Ground and fucking pound with about 5 plays. When they did throw it was wide open

Lombardi drew up the sweep on a chalkboard and showed the whole league how they ran it, Still couldn't stop it

Back when I was in HS, state juggernaut South Kitsap ran 4 plays. Total. Off tackle, toss sweep, play action pass with intermediate routes and a fullback dive—their favorite audible. They were an open book and never changed their audible signals (“Cat” was the dive audible)

Even though we knew what was coming, we couldn’t stop it. That was a mindfuck all in itself
    South Kitsap used to be a football power? Weird. Port Orchard isnt exactly churning much out these days
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,537 Founders Club

"Play calling is overrated. Execution is underrated." - Don James
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,019 Founders Club
    I like the option. And the I formation. And halfback screens. I like that. Personal preference I guess.
  • wobidbuswobidbus Member Posts: 308

wobidbus said:

And another thing: UW has the cash, they need to hire analysts to memorize the rules and pour over the playbook for problems and create Tableau data visualizations to illustrate to Pete’s stubborn ass which plays work and which don’t while accounting for opponent strength and available personnel. I mean shit, there’s an army of incels basically doing that for UW on Twitter already.

Very good point. There are no reasons not to do these things. “The chart” that Pete has doesn’t work.
    Caple drives this home in his article about the Wildcat over the years at UW. Wild Swede =/= Gascat =/= Wild Dick =/= Wild Pleasant. None of those players are interchangeable.

Apparently the Wildcat worked against Georgia State so now it’s etched in the stone chart for all eternity.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Baseman said:

South Kitsap used to be a football power? Weird. Port Orchard isnt exactly churning much out these days
    They were really good. They should be good. They used to be the school with the most students of any 4A high school. They still might be, but they used to too.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

Baseman said:

They were really good. They should be good. They used to be the school with the most students of any 4A high school. They still might be, but they used to too.
    Paging @BenjiOlsonDawg
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,537 Founders Club
    edited October 2019
    Emoterman said:

Baseman said:

Paging @BenjiOlsonDawg
    When I read Roadie's post, I was immediately thinking "who was that big-time player who came from there?" Couldn't remember. Then I looked down to the next post and saw your reference.