Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The guys picked the right year to make like a tree and leaf

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,603 Founders Club
The undercurrent of hostility towards recruiting grows with each loss

And yet because I am a fair person Washington 2.0 was not this year. In the grand tradition of Husky football it is next year or the year after. Now also to be fair, if the higher ranked recruits are going to lead us to the promised land it wouldn't have been this year.

However as Sven points out, does Petersen need 5 more years to get rid of the guys he has spent 5 years bringing here.

There seems to be a talent gap between what was left and did goo d in 2016 and what is here doing bad in 18 and 19

Can we trust the evaluation?

Can we get rid of the poor actual coaching for some units?

There are exceptions to the its the head coach iron law. A very good head coach that is challenged in some areas can be helped to excel with the right assistants. We saw it when James hired Pinkel and Gilby

Mario apparently found a good DC at Oregon

Reilly hired the coog to save the Oklahoma defense.

Orgeon found an OC at LSU

tick tick tick

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    I trust the coaches
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,777 Swaye's Wigwam

And yet because I am a fair person Washington 2.0 was not this year. In the grand tradition of Husky football it is next year or the year after. Now also to be fair, if the higher ranked recruits are going to lead us to the promised land it wouldn't have been this year.

However as Sven points out, does Petersen need 5 more years to get rid of the guys he has spent 5 years bringing here.

There seems to be a talent gap between what was left and did goo d in 2016 and what is here doing bad in 18 and 19

There are exceptions to the its the head coach iron law. A very good head coach that is challenged in some areas can be helped to excel with the right assistants. We saw it when James hired Pinkel and Gilby

tick tick tick

This was petermans yr to make all the HCH’s and nega dawgs shut the fuck up.

If fuck face was really an elite coach and we were really on the way (back?) to being a blue blood we would have reloaded and not fell on our dicks. Elite teams, that put a similar # of guys in the league as we did last year, go through this anally and don’t miss a beat.

We may never recruit top 5 classes every year but why not top 10 every year? We have been hovering around 15 so the talent is here.

We did fuck up with LB’s and DL but that’s not what’s causing this shit.

It’s Pete and how he runs his fucking program. On one end we know they develop the fuck out of talent but at the cost of not playing the young talent soon enough...

Guys are still too tight. Pete needs to back the fuck off, quit micro managing and allow this program to have some fucking fun.

Change may occur but at a fucking snails pace.

Prove me wrong peterman and make 2-3 significant changes to your staff. I fucking dare you.

Until then we always lose to cal and oregon and occasionally the furd.

FM.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

tick tick tick

If fuck face was really an elite coach and we were really on the way (back?) to being a blue blood we would have reloaded and not fell on our dicks. Elite teams, that put a similar # of guys in the league as we did last year, go through this anally and don’t miss a beat.

We may never recruit top 5 classes every year but why not top 10 every year? We have been hovering around 15 so the talent is here.

It’s Pete and how he runs his fucking program. On one end we know they develop the fuck out of talent but at the cost of not playing the young talent soon enough...

Guys are still too tight. Pete needs to back the fuck off, quit micro managing and allow this program to have some fucking fun.

Prove me wrong peterman and make 2-3 significant changes to your staff. I fucking dare you.

FM.
    I used to think guys on our team were too tight, but at after watching the players on the sideline on Saturday, I changed my opinion completely.

Everyone seemed loose, even on the final drive. I was kind of out off by Henry Roberts and another player yucking it up during those times.
  • rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942

tick tick tick

FM.
    I used to think guys on our team were too tight, but at after watching the players on the sideline on Saturday, I changed my opinion completely.

Everyone seemed loose, even on the final drive. I was kind of out off by Henry Roberts and another player yucking it up during those times.
    Can you elaborate?
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,777 Swaye's Wigwam

tick tick tick

FM.

Interesting.

Omit that part if you like and the story still says the same thing = fuck peterman

tick tick tick

FM.

Can you elaborate?
    Guys on the sideline didn’t seem all that invested. Kind of watching and hanging out. I’m not sure it’s something to be concerned about, but there didn’t seem to be a ton of intensity.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

tick tick tick

FM.

Few things in life are as galling for me as watching athletes laughing and smiling while they lose/immediately after the loss. I would think Petersen would be the same, but it seems like we've seen it a couple times this year.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,527 Swaye's Wigwam

tick tick tick

FM.
    Look, I know the Stanford loss was an ass-raping, but let's not get all hyperbolic...
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    We’ll be fine. Just win next year or gtfo

We’ll be fine. Just win next year or gtfo

I’m leaning that way, but I won’t count on it if Eason doesn’t come back.
    We could be making something out of nothing but maybe it has been an over correction by Pete. We went from definitely being too tight in years past to being pretty loose this year.

Browning sucked but he was intense. Skinny is not. I think that plays into it a little bit, but again, I’m not really sure.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    I think Sirmon is legitimately good.

If Pete doesn’t fuck up in-game/game planning which he is good for multiple times a year we’ll be fine.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744

I think Pete's first few classes over performing warped everyone's expectations for how players develop in his program. Evaluating and developing isn't magic, there's a lot of luck to it.

We got lucky on a lot of guys in the 13-15 classes, and we got unlucky on guys in the 16-17 classes. Anyone who thinks they are significantly better at evaluating talent than another school is full of shit, the best teams are only slightly better at it than the worst teams. The only way to be consistent is to recruit elite players at every single position every single year.

Exactly! I’ve been pounding this drum for years. We got very lucky with the 2014 class in particular especially considering it was put together in less than two months. That was never going to be consistently repeatable. We needed to level up.

tick tick tick

FM.

Can you elaborate?
    Guys on the sideline didn’t seem all that invested. Kind of watching and hanging out. I’m not sure it’s something to be concerned about, but there didn’t seem to be a ton of intensity.
    In that final drive, I was alarmed by the lack of urgency from the offense on the field
    THIS

If I remember correctly, Washington was approaching midfield with around 4 minutes left. Somehow, when the drive failed at the 35, there was around 50 seconds on the clock. Even if PI is called, Peterman would have had some time pressure once they got into the red zone.

I understand that he was probably not wanting to give Oregon time after they scored, but there are flaws to this:

1) You aren't guaranteed to score, so why not use some urgency to get into the red zone first, then use some clock if you wish. Better to take your time when you're near the red zone, then having to rush things once when you're near it.

2) Brings me back to not guaranteed to score. Use some urgency, and if you get to a forth down near mid field, you may be able to punt with time left and your timeouts to get the ball back.

3) You're assuming Oregon is built to move quickly downfield. That is not the case. If Pete scored with even 1:20 or so on the clock, Oregon would have had a difficult time to get in position to tie. They have a slower methodical offense, plus they'd need to get inside the 20, because their kicking game is terrible.

The ineptitude in Pete's decision making on that final drive was astounding.
    In that situation you just have to score. Yeah, it’s better to leave less time on the clock, but the game is over if you don’t score. Dial up your best plays and get it done.

I think Sirmon is legitimately good.

If Pete doesn’t fuck up in-game/game planning which he is good for multiple times a year we’ll be fine.

Based on what? He has physical talent. It’s always been mental with him. He lacked that part in high school. I’m skeptical that will change in college when it gets harder.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

tick tick tick

FM.

Can you elaborate?
    In that final drive, I was alarmed by the lack of urgency from the offense on the field
    THIS

If I remember correctly, Washington was approaching midfield with around 4 minutes left. Somehow, when the drive failed at the 35, there was around 50 seconds on the clock. Even if PI is called, Peterman would have had some time pressure once they got into the red zone.

I understand that he was probably not wanting to give Oregon time after they scored, but there are flaws to this:

1) You aren't guaranteed to score, so why not use some urgency to get into the red zone first, then use some clock if you wish. Better to take your time when you're near the red zone, then having to rush things once when you're near it.

2) Brings me back to not guaranteed to score. Use some urgency, and if you get to a forth down near mid field, you may be able to punt with time left and your timeouts to get the ball back.

3) You're assuming Oregon is built to move quickly downfield. That is not the case. If Pete scored with even 1:20 or so on the clock, Oregon would have had a difficult time to get in position to tie. They have a slower methodical offense, plus they'd need to get inside the 20, because their kicking game is terrible.

The ineptitude in Pete's decision making on that final drive was astounding.
    In that situation you just have to score. Yeah, it’s better to leave less time on the clock, but the game is over if you don’t score. Dial up your best plays and get it done.
    That was kind of my point