Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tanoa Togiai, 3* 2020 DL, Rigby (Rigby), ID (Offered)

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

FireCohen said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

I remember people excited for Vita. I also remember people thinking Gaines looked really goofy.

Someone here called Gaines the best player in his recruiting class. He was pretty close to being right.

The goofy looks were part of the package.
    Gaines and BBK did things for our defense I did not truly appreciate till this year. Testament how good they were
    Were you not watching the games? Gaines was always good. BBK was always pretty good too, but single plays got handpicked to show that he sucked and it was parroted.

Again, we saw what bad ILB play does. If Beavers and BBK weren’t good, we would have started looking much worse on defense in 2016. That didn’t happen and the defense was the same.
    DL is hard to judge on the running plays, specially if you do your job right you mostly closing the running lanes.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    It took a while for Rigby (Id.) DL Tanoa Togiai to get home after he took his official visit to Montlake this weekend, but he updated Dawgman.com about how things went and talked about what will happen over the next 10 days.

"It was a great visit. I had a lot of fun and the coaches and players there really made me feel at home," a tired Togiai told Dawgman.com after returning home. "'Taki' (Sam Taimani) was my host and he was a great guy.

"He talked a lot about what it was like to be a player up there and we just hung out."

On his visit, Togiai said there were a few things that really stood out to him.

"The coaches were really energetic and outgoing, that was the first thing I noticed," Togiai noted. "They didn't BS me at all and I really appreciated that. They were real with me.

"The setting there is amazing and the facilities are really impressive.

"The campus was awesome too."

Togiai got the chance to sit in on a meeting with the man who is his main recruiter, defensive line coach Ikaika Malloe, and then sat down with new Husky head coach Jimmy Lake.

"Coach Lake is great. We have a good relationship and we got a chance to talk things over," Togiai said. "He knows I am not announcing anything until Signing Day (February 5th), so we really didn't even talk about recruiting or where they stand or anything like that.

"He just talked a lot about what they are looking for from the players that are on the team and what it would be like there if I was a Dawg. He didn't push me or anything like that. I really appreciated that."

Togiai has a basketball game next weekend, so this was his final official visit and this coming week, he will host the Husky coaches (Friday), the Utah coaches on Thursday or Friday, the Kansas State coaches on Thursday and the entire Nebraska coaching staff on Saturday.

"It's going to be a hectic week, but it's almost done and once I make my decision, that will be a load off my shoulders," Togiai said.

Togiai helped lead his team to a state title this past season and he is currently a double-double player for the Rigby basketball team.
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Rigby (Idaho) defensive lineman Tanoa Togiai is down to four schools and a decision is a week away.

And each of those four schools will be in-home with him this week as he comes to a decision.

"This week, I'll have Kansas State, Nebraska, Utah and Washington all up here," said Togiai.

Togiai insists he's still going through the process and no school has emerged as a leader.

"It's pretty even with those four," said Togiai. "I don't have a leader yet."

Togiai took his fourth official visit last weekend, to Washington, after visiting Utah in September, Kansas State in October and Nebraska in December.

"My visit to Washington was great," said Togiai. "The coaches were outgoing and very direct."

Ikaika Malloe, Washington's defensive line coach, has been running point on his recruitment.

"I was mainly with coach (Jimmy) Lake and coach Malloe," said Togiai. "We talked about just what my life through the four years I would be there would be like and they told me they wanted me to be a Dawg."

Sam Taimani was hosted by Togiai and he said he also spent a lot of time with Washington signees Ethan Garbers and Mark Redman, who were also on their official visits.

While he had one more official visit left that he could take, Togiai is done with visits.

"I don't have any more scheduled," said Togiai.

Now, he waits for an announcement to be made next week.

"I’m announcing where I’m going on Signing Day," said Togiai.
  • Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    So interesting we don’t hear about B4L presentations anymore. Kinda refreshing, but I wonder how much of that is still part of the pitch.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Emoterman said:

Beno4Life said:

So interesting we don’t hear about B4L presentations anymore. Kinda refreshing, but I wonder how much of that is still part of the pitch.

I hope it has just become another tool in the toolbox. Use it on parents and kids that it will resonate with. Use sizzle and hype and 3StripeLife on the appropriate kids, and rock climbing and hunting and Metallica when it is called for. Sales is about telling people what they want to hear and Pete decided he wasn't willing to whore out his truth in order to cast a bigger net.

Not every program can convincingly sell the B4L angle, but UW can and that's an awesome weapon to have, and my greatest hope for Jimmy is that he realizes he's a stupid fucking football coach not a monk and is willing to use all his weapons to win.
    This. While the pitch should always have similarities you tweak it to suit different recruits. You know something else Pete wouldn’t tweak to work better? His offense.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

Emoterman said:

Beno4Life said:

I hope it has just become another tool in the toolbox. Use it on parents and kids that it will resonate with. Use sizzle and hype and 3StripeLife on the appropriate kids, and rock climbing and hunting and Metallica when it is called for. Sales is about telling people what they want to hear and Pete decided he wasn't willing to whore out his truth in order to cast a bigger net.

Not every program can convincingly sell the B4L angle, but UW can and that's an awesome weapon to have, and my greatest hope for Jimmy is that he realizes he's a stupid fucking football coach not a monk and is willing to use all his weapons to win.
    This. While the pitch should always have similarities you tweak it to suit different recruits. You know something else Pete wouldn’t tweak to work better? His offense.
    yep... KYC - know your client. Your deck needs to be prepared for what you think the prospect wants and how you serve those needs better than anyone else. Your deck also has to be adjustable to meet unexpected needs or things you may have misinterpreted.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Page 2. Announcing today. Guessing he's gone?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Gladstone said:

Page 2. Announcing today. Guessing he's gone?

I'm assuming the complete lack of buzz means we don't have a shot.
  • proofproof Member Posts: 278
    Angulo w/ the most recent crystal ball to Utah as well.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,774 Founders Club
    Both teams have a history of development on the line. They graduated a ton on the D line this year. We have young depth that Milloe has had to recruit around. That said, this cycle of d line recruiting has been poor to say the least. Should have been able to close on At least one kid with the selling point that he is the only guy we? are taking.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited February 2020

Both teams have a history of development on the line. They graduated a ton on the D line this year. We have young depth that Milloe has had to recruit around. That said, this cycle of d line recruiting has been poor to say the least. Should have been able to close on At least one kid with the selling point that he is the only guy we? are taking.

I would think we could get at least one, but it was never going to be a great class. We brought in some serious talent the last year and in big numbers.

I bet we do well this year. Still, it would be nice to have gotten a guy or 2.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    We promoted malloe to co-dc. Jimmy was the right man for the job