Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

GrundleGifskins: USC

12346»

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

DL, y'all going to need to make tackles, LBs aren't going to do it for us*

Standard GIF: http://i.imgur.com/A0jL9OQ.gif
    Does USC's left guard have ridiculous stick'em on his hands, or is USC just sneaky good at holding? Somehow Manu is glued to him.

Maybe don't run these behind Cade anymore

Standard GIF: http://i.imgur.com/LBYQYha.gif
    This is why I HATE the tunnel screen. Too many individual matchups have to be won for it to be successful, and the timing has to be perfect. Against a shit defense, sure, have fun. Against actual real athletes? It's a laugher. This time, the play is being run from the near hash, so angles and timing have to be even more precise. The corner was able to easily beat the block to the outside because he knew he had so much inside help close by. Otton released inside to seal the corner out, probably not expecting the corner to be that fast. Just a dumb fucking play all around.

thing is, if Fuller's instincts would have to simply catch the ball while heading back into the actual tunnel instead of turning perpendicular into the corner it would have at least gained something positive....possibly more. This is where I am struggling with Fuller and what I believe are zero instincts for getting positive yards instead of dipsy doodling around. He's very Mickenseque in that respect and then you look at what Gaskin did to get positive yards out of every situation and it's just clear to me that Fuller is not a guy who should be used for any play call that expects YAC.
    I think Mickens was quite a bit better after the catch than Fuller. He was maddening most of the time, but did make some plays where he showed awareness of the situation and battled for yards in clutch situations. The two guys we have now don't show that kind of instinct at all. They put the same effort into a first down catch for seven yards in Q1 as they would a 4th and goal catch at the five yard line with UW trailing by six and time expiring.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

Meek said:

Does USC's left guard have ridiculous stick'em on his hands, or is USC just sneaky good at holding? Somehow Manu is glued to him.

This is why I HATE the tunnel screen. Too many individual matchups have to be won for it to be successful, and the timing has to be perfect. Against a shit defense, sure, have fun. Against actual real athletes? It's a laugher. This time, the play is being run from the near hash, so angles and timing have to be even more precise. The corner was able to easily beat the block to the outside because he knew he had so much inside help close by. Otton released inside to seal the corner out, probably not expecting the corner to be that fast. Just a dumb fucking play all around.

thing is, if Fuller's instincts would have to simply catch the ball while heading back into the actual tunnel instead of turning perpendicular into the corner it would have at least gained something positive....possibly more. This is where I am struggling with Fuller and what I believe are zero instincts for getting positive yards instead of dipsy doodling around. He's very Mickenseque in that respect and then you look at what Gaskin did to get positive yards out of every situation and it's just clear to me that Fuller is not a guy who should be used for any play call that expects YAC.
    I think Mickens was quite a bit better after the catch than Fuller. He was maddening most of the time, but did make some plays where he showed awareness of the situation and battled for yards in clutch situations. The two guys we have now don't show that kind of instinct at all. They put the same effort into a first down catch for seven yards in Q1 as they would a 4th and goal catch at the five yard line with UW trailing by six and time expiring.
    Probably true.

Mickens didn't have half the ball skills of Fuller though, and Fuller puts great effort into his catches. He's just kind of worthless after the catch.

I still have no idea how Fuller got tabbed to return punts.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

Meek said:

Probably true.

Mickens didn't have half the ball skills of Fuller though, and Fuller puts great effort into his catches. He's just kind of worthless after the catch.

I still have no idea how Fuller got tabbed to return punts.
    Yeah Mickens was shitty at catching the ball. That counts for something I suppose.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

chuck said:

Meek said:

Probably true.

I still have no idea how Fuller got tabbed to return basically call fair catch for 99% of the punts.
  • Options

We used to shit on Bowman for only being able to dominate the bottom of the conference. Now he’s bitching talented teams so shout out to him.

He owned the bottom of the conference as a sophomore, was generally bad as a junior and now is good against everybody as a senior.

Really unique career trajectory.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

USC Trojan football brought to you by your Northwest Subaru Dealers

Standard GIF: http://i.imgur.com/tg899d0.gif
    I'm in this gif!
    White shirt, red hat behind the Trojans flag?
  • Options
    PetermanPeterman Member Posts: 675
    5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    dnc said:

We used to shit on Bowman for only being able to dominate the bottom of the conference. Now he’s bitching talented teams so shout out to him.

He owned the bottom of the conference as a sophomore, was generally bad as a junior and now is good against everybody as a senior.

Really unique career trajectory.
    Bowman is a Junior tho
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Always been lazy analysis. Who knew it’s harder to play really well against good teams? How many games do we play against great competition every year anyways?
  • Options
    Domicillo said:

Bump.
    It was so wrong it was right