Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sirmon plays with eyes closed

2»

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

This is why I dont blame @RoadDawg55 for being done with Sirmon

Also Wellington....

Worst Linebacker group of my lifetime.

There's a reverse angle of that play that looks even worser. Tryon vs Cal level.

If Sirmon doesnt completely fuck it up Bryant makes the play on the QB

Yep. If Sirmon stays home, that blocker takes him and Bryant makes the play. It would be a tough block for the USC player to make on Sirmon too.

It was a shitty play by Sirmon and he was fooled. I’m not critical of him because of that okay. It’s his game on the whole. The coaches son cliches about having a high football IQ aren’t showing up at all.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,579
    edited September 2019
    I don’t know why I’m defending him, but that play was the first time I’ve ever seen fink (or any usc q.b) keep it on a zone read. Maybe im wrong, but I doubt that was on any tape they watched.
  • PurpleSmokePurpleSmoke Member Posts: 116

not good by Sirmon. I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but I think it was more of a good play by the USC TE. Sirmon committed to taking on that block and at the last moment the TE put a good move on him and then took out Bryant. I see this as a mistake that will be corrected with experience.

Fire away.

Monday morning Keyboard QBs don't normally notice those details. That is why watching film is different than jumping to conclusions after watching a clip a few times.

This is close to an amazing play by Sirmon, little more experience and he'll know not to put his head down and miss the blocker, he'll do exactly what Bryant does and submarine that big bitch and clear up the play for someone else.

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,524 Swaye's Wigwam
    Should have been holding on 73.
    Should have been illegal block below the waist on Bryant (which, weirdly, can be called on the defense).
    Should have been a blown-up TE by Sirmon. Probably. I'd have to know responsibilities in that scheme.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    USC OL is very good at holding and getting away with it.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,884 Standard Supporter

FirePete said:

chuck said:

Really piss poor effort by Wellington in that play too. He wasted forever in no man's land right behind 55 (who got held bad btw but wasn't in position to affect the play by that point), but still had time to make a solid hit on fink and possibly deny the goal line. Somehow he fucked it up, barely making a glancing blow from behind him when he should have trucked him high to drive him sideways. He was going for a strip, but looks scared to hit the QB.

Gregory needs to go. He can’t recruit can’t coach why have him around
    The worst part is that they will get better, but are any of the young guys looking like future studs? That’s why I’m so down on Sirmon. I can’t see him being any better than average.
    I'll take average at this point. Average would be 3 steps above our LB play right now.

jecornel said:

Did anyone even notice Tryon missing the first half?

Because of last week's targeting penalty
    I think that was rhetorical.
    What's with the fancy big words, man?
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,498 Swaye's Wigwam

FirePete said:

chuck said:

Really piss poor effort by Wellington in that play too. He wasted forever in no man's land right behind 55 (who got held bad btw but wasn't in position to affect the play by that point), but still had time to make a solid hit on fink and possibly deny the goal line. Somehow he fucked it up, barely making a glancing blow from behind him when he should have trucked him high to drive him sideways. He was going for a strip, but looks scared to hit the QB.

The worst part is that they will get better, but are any of the young guys looking like future studs? That’s why I’m so down on Sirmon. I can’t see him being any better than average.
    I'll take average at this point. Average would be 3 steps above our LB play right now.
    They have been fine vs the run. They will definitely get schemed out...I think the big USC runs were on the outside where the DE/OLB/BUCK/Whatever lost contain. We were dropping 7 at some points.

FirePete said:

chuck said:

They have been fine vs the run. They will definitely get schemed out...I think the big USC runs were on the outside where the DE/OLB/BUCK/Whatever lost contain. We were dropping 7 at some points.
    The containment issue is perplexing. My HS coaches emphasized it from day one, freshman year. Of course the OL blocking is far superior at this level, but holding the edge is such a fundamental and primary job, I'm amazed that our guys frequently over-pursue (Or under-pursue - Hi Tryon!) and make the OL's job even easier than if they just took on a block.

Time and again, UW literally concedes or abandons it by choice with bad angles or shit like this - putting your head down near the ground. Wellington did that on a tackle early in the game, too. WTF is with our LBs going head first into a runner's feet like fox diving into the snow?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

FirePete said:

chuck said:

He’s not better that Wellington or Manu. Many at least hits and sometimes makes plays in the backfield. Wellington sucks, but is fast and athletic.

Some guys drastically improve, some don’t. I’m not buying Sirmon stock. We always talk about everything matters and we need the best. I can’t see him getting there. Absolutely nothing stands out about him.
  • RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    Yeah, even against keyboard all-stars I don't think you can salvage that play for Sirmon. "Almost made an amazing play?" What are you watching? He almost did his job, that's all. But failed completely. Just what Hou said. One job to do there, easy read, basically like a little kid closing his eyes and swinging at a fastball and hoping to make contact. Fuck, he even tried to take the inside shoulder. WTF for, to seal yourself off and give the runner open space?!?

WHAT. THE. FUCK. DOES. BOB. GREGORY. DO. AROUND. HERE?

He's had Sirmon and Tafisi for basically a year and a half and they miss basic shit.