Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Interest payments as % of GDP are on the rise

Comments

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,953
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2019
    Shouldn't be shocking

US and everyone is screwed...no country can afford the debt they currently have if interest rates were 10%.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sorta care, kinda care - but lots of disclaimers.....

25% of the US debt is owed to itself via borrowing from the Social Security funds.

Probably don't much care to the extent that money is frigging cheap right now. Should probably be borrowing the shit out of things to build up infrastructure and long-term capital projects. Rebuild motherfucking bridges, get some tech projects jump started. Not a fan of borrowing to cover operating costs/current expenditures. Big fan of leveraging up to pay for 20 and 30 year projects. BIG fucking projects. Take your pick.

Instead all there is is bitching about minutia. Should be putting people to work in construction trades and repairing/replacing the fuck out of the neglect of our roads and bridges.

More concerned about the multiplier vs. GDP. If 1x is acceptable (don't know, haven't done that much research), then that needs to be the debt ceiling. If it's 1.5X, that needs to be the debt ceiling. It's like buying a house (whatever it is now - used to 1.5 times income, haven't bought a house for years). That's how the gubmint should operate.

@UW_Doog_Bot the economist probably has a better read.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,885
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

25% of the US debt is owed to itself via borrowing from the Social Security funds.

Probably don't much care to the extent that money is frigging cheap right now. Should probably be borrowing the shit out of things to build up infrastructure and long-term capital projects. Rebuild motherfucking bridges, get some tech projects jump started. Not a fan of borrowing to cover operating costs/current expenditures. Big fan of leveraging up to pay for 20 and 30 year projects. BIG fucking projects. Take your pick.

Instead all there is is bitching about minutia. Should be putting people to work in construction trades and repairing/replacing the fuck out of the neglect of our roads and bridges.

More concerned about the multiplier vs. GDP. If 1x is acceptable (don't know, haven't done that much research), then that needs to be the debt ceiling. If it's 1.5X, that needs to be the debt ceiling. It's like buying a house (whatever it is now - used to 1.5 times income, haven't bought a house for years). That's how the gubmint should operate.

I keep hearing all this talk about how money is still so cheap and we should be leveraging the low borrowing costs to build cool shit and put people back to work but that's not happening. The increased spending is all going to @RaceBannon 's mobility scooter and the military industrial complex. #doomed #buyrolexwatches like @Swaye

Social Security costs climbed 5.7%; Medicare, 6.5%; Medicaid, 4.6%.

Defense spending is up 7.9%, but spending on everything else in the budget has climbed by 4.5%.

Here’s the really worrisome figure: Interest payments on the national debt is up 14% over the prior year.

It should go without saying that these levels of spending growth are unsustainable. Yet instead of confronting them, lawmakers and the Trump administration are aggravating them. Entitlement reform is a non-issue at the moment. Every increase in defense spending has to be matched with a hike in spending on domestic programs. The national debt continues to explode.

https://issuesinsights.com/2019/09/12/why-did-the-deficit-just-top-1-trillion-heres-another-clue-for-you-all/
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I keep hearing all this talk about how money is still so cheap and we should be leveraging the low borrowing costs to build cool shit and put people back to work but that's not happening. The increased spending is all going to @RaceBannon 's mobility scooter and the military industrial complex. #doomed #buyrolexwatches like @Swaye

Defense spending is up 7.9%, but spending on everything else in the budget has climbed by 4.5%.

Here’s the really worrisome figure: Interest payments on the national debt is up 14% over the prior year.

It should go without saying that these levels of spending growth are unsustainable. Yet instead of confronting them, lawmakers and the Trump administration are aggravating them. Entitlement reform is a non-issue at the moment. Every increase in defense spending has to be matched with a hike in spending on domestic programs. The national debt continues to explode.

https://issuesinsights.com/2019/09/12/why-did-the-deficit-just-top-1-trillion-heres-another-clue-for-you-all/
    As a percentage of GDP military spending is historically low in comparison to previous years. The money is going to Welfare, Medicare and Social Security. That's were the real increases in spending are happening and all of it is set on auto pilot, it just increases every year.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I'd like to see us cut ALL spending, including military spending. By like 10-12% minimum. I don't care how much it hurts. I hate all of our politicians. I am old enough to remember when the GOP was the fiscal responsibility party. Now everyone is tax and spend. It's disgusting.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

As a percentage of GDP military spending is historically low in comparison to previous years. The money is going to Welfare, Medicare and Social Security. That's were the real increases in spending are happening and all of it is set on auto pilot, it just increases every year.
    True. Look at the budget back in the 1950s. We used to be able to afford to spend a huge chunk of the pie on the military. Now it's old people benefits and transfer payments.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

I'd like to see us cut ALL spending, including military spending. By like 10-12% minimum. I don't care how much it hurts. I hate all of our politicians. I am old enough to remember when the GOP was the fiscal responsibility party. Now everyone is tax and spend. It's disgusting.

Blame the voters

While most Republican voters will talk a big game about cutting government spending as soon as you try and reign in the real driver of our deficit, entitlement spending, they will start sounding like a liberal Democrat.

There is no support for cutting entitlement spending.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,866
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Among the people who vote including citizens, illegals, dead people and people registered in multiple states – the majority doesn’t care about the unsustainable growth in our debt. Between our public education system which doesn’t teach basic economics or numbers and sh*t, the MSM which also has no understanding of basic economics or numbers and sh*t and those who should understand basic economics and numbers and sh*t (Paul Krugman) but don’t care. They will only care when it is too late and we’ve gone over the blue event horizon. I would hazard a guess that less than 10% of democrats care about the debt in any kind of functional manner. These are the commies – tax the rich, feed the poor until there are no rich no more. They would kill the golden goose and proclaim victory. See Venezuela. In Red China – the capital outflows are massive as the rich Chinese are not betting on their future or are definitely hedging their bets. I would hazard that well less than half the republicans also care about the debt. They want to be elected more than they want to do something about the debt.

We have a trillion and a half in student debt which already has major defaults. For these morons who borrowed tens of thousands of dollars for a degree in feminist studies they are stuck. Solution, vote for free sh*t. You think they are interested in the future when their existence has been always focused on the here and now?

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Military spending has it's value and is a multiplier when you consider DARPA and all the stuff that comes out of there.

Is it a bit of a black hole with lots of government pork? Sure. It's pretty good to live in the Pax Americana though.

Entitlements have a low multiplier and are essentially a transfer, currently from one generation to another mostly.

RN the US is the world reserve currency so money is in fact really cheap(and could be more so). We are the rich guy with a modest debt load and a perfect payment history that lenders are lining up to do business with.

The one thing I have been thinking about lately is capital flows. A LOT of private and government capital flow goes to places we either are in geopolitical competition with(China) or at best are resented(India) or taken for granted(Europe). I wouldn't mind seeing a more directed approach in this space to incentivize our markets, direct our government outlays, and encourage our allies in the same space. Bilateral trade deals and investment incentives that serve our and our allies interests. I realize that this sounds a bit tangential but such things do have an impact on debt to GDP.

Also, this is why it's dumb when people criticize US companies for taking advantage of capital tax breaks for investing in the US.

Directly, I'd love to see further tax incentives and R&D spending towards strategic industries; Aerospace, wireless, AI & robotics, energy, etc.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Military spending has it's value and is a multiplier when you consider DARPA and all the stuff that comes out of there.

Is it a bit of a black hole with lots of government pork? Sure. It's pretty good to live in the Pax Americana though.

Entitlements have a low multiplier and are essentially a transfer, currently from one generation to another mostly.

RN the US is the world reserve currency so money is in fact really cheap(and could be more so). We are the rich guy with a modest debt load and a perfect payment history that lenders are lining up to do business with.

The one thing I have been thinking about lately is capital flows. A LOT of private and government capital flow goes to places we either are in geopolitical competition with(China) or at best are resented(India) or taken for granted(Europe). I wouldn't mind seeing a more directed approach in this space to incentivize our markets, direct our government outlays, and encourage our allies in the same space. Bilateral trade deals and investment incentives that serve our and our allies interests. I realize that this sounds a bit tangential but such things do have an impact on debt to GDP.

Also, this is why it's dumb when people criticize US companies for taking advantage of capital tax breaks for investing in the US.

Directly, I'd love to see further tax incentives and R&D spending towards strategic industries; Aerospace, wireless, AI & robotics, energy, etc.

Could not possible agree more on the R&D spending. We are getting killed on this by the Chicoms.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Could not possible agree more on the R&D spending. We are getting killed on this by the Chicoms.

Only because we are dumb and we allow our private sector to invest in firms controlled by the PLA.

It's the equivalent to US markets investing in Volkswagen in the 1930's.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333

Among the people who vote including citizens, illegals, dead people and people registered in multiple states – the majority doesn’t care about the unsustainable growth in our debt. Between our public education system which doesn’t teach basic economics or numbers and sh*t, the MSM which also has no understanding of basic economics or numbers and sh*t and those who should understand basic economics and numbers and sh*t (Paul Krugman) but don’t care. They will only care when it is too late and we’ve gone over the blue event horizon. I would hazard a guess that less than 10% of democrats care about the debt in any kind of functional manner. These are the commies – tax the rich, feed the poor until there are no rich no more. They would kill the golden goose and proclaim victory. See Venezuela. In Red China – the capital outflows are massive as the rich Chinese are not betting on their future or are definitely hedging their bets. I would hazard that well less than half the republicans also care about the debt. They want to be elected more than they want to do something about the debt.

We have a trillion and a half in student debt which already has major defaults. For these morons who borrowed tens of thousands of dollars for a degree in feminist studies they are stuck. Solution, vote for free sh*t. You think they are interested in the future when their existence has been always focused on the here and now?

It's ok to say shit here.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dems are tax and spend.

Trump & the current GOP are borrow and spend.

Younger me would have never agreed with the second but as long as we are the reserve currency I'm more ok with it.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,866
    Standard Supporter
    Yep, just tax the golden goose to death.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Only because we are dumb and we allow our private sector to invest in firms controlled by the PLA.

It's the equivalent to US markets investing in Volkswagen in the 1930's.
    Oh, how I wish we could put that genie back in the bottle. Biggest strategic error this country has made in the past 100 years. Maybe ever...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

Swaye said:

Blame the voters

While most Republican voters will talk a big game about cutting government spending as soon as you try and reign in the real driver of our deficit, entitlement spending, they will start sounding like a liberal Democrat.

There is no support for cutting entitlement spending.
    Hence, why I am chairman of the Seattle self loathing Republican party. I voted for Dubya and he went and fucked us with a prescription drug benefit and nation building with the sand peoples. We've been fucked ever since. No bullshit Dubya, no Obama. No Obama, no Trump.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801

Conceptually, we're about on the same page.

The Throbber is a MASSIVE fan of right-sizing current fiscal expenditures. You don't borrow or take long-term money to pay for short-term, recurring operating expenses. Just don't do it. Like paying for your mortgage on a credit card. Likewise, you don't buy a house with cash unless you've got massive surplus/discretionary funds. You finance it over the life of the asset.

The Throbber would MUCH rather see a balance budget amendment for operations than the shitshow we have now where the bureaucrats give themselves blowies 'only' increasing spending by 2 or 3% over prior year...well, you overspent the last 30 years....big fucking deal.

Most definitely concur on the investment in infrastructure. Either the ones I listed like roads and bridges or the more high tech ones you listed. Been calling for 9G for like three years here.

And we? need to earmark funds for building the Mexican/Guatemalan border wall and Colombia/Venezuela military retreats as posted elsewhere.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,212
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm not collecting SS

I work

Hard

You need to be 70 to get your money from them
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,126
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I'm not collecting SS

I work

Hard

You need to be 70 to get your money from them

Race is the better part of a decade from the ice floe solution.