Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

DUCKFIGHTER ILLUSTRATED: CRISES AT MONTLAKE DAY 2,190

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Don won his second title year 6 then #3 in year 7 then blew two more in a row by losing the Apple Cup twice

Don beat Texas in the Sun Bowl and Michigan in the Rose Bowl

There is plenty of room above the bar that James set. That's where I would prefer Pete aim.

Wholeheartedly agree. Sunday morning sucked like a golf ball going through a garden hose. But I haven't seen any evidence to date to suggest that Pete's floor is any worse than what DJ achieve here. Jury is still out on the ceiling and I'm not going to panic based on one game or if we go 9- 3 (or even 8-4) and don't with the Pac.
    Probably right, except DJ produced at least a couple of teams that would have killed any Pete's put together to date. Pete's best team would be maimed by '84, '90 and '91 UW IMO.

Don won his second title year 6 then #3 in year 7 then blew two more in a row by losing the Apple Cup twice

There is plenty of room above the bar that James set. That's where I would prefer Pete aim.

Wholeheartedly agree. Sunday morning sucked like a golf ball going through a garden hose. But I haven't seen any evidence to date to suggest that Pete's floor is any worse than what DJ achieve here. Jury is still out on the ceiling and I'm not going to panic based on one game or if we go 9- 3 (or even 8-4) and don't with the Pac.
    I think 7-5 or 8-4 is very much in play this year on over reaction Monday

Some years are like that regardless if its year 6 or 2. Not every trajectory is straight up.

You hope that by recruiting better players you can avoid major rebuilds like we hoped this year.

Doesn't always work

I could see a series of close frustrating losses because we are still mentally weak
    I seriously think it's impossible for Washington to do any worse than 9 games this year. The team would have to collectively shit themselves and give up, and say what else you want about Peterman his teams don't do that.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Some years are like that regardless if its year 6 or 2. Not every trajectory is straight up.

You hope that by recruiting better players you can avoid major rebuilds like we hoped this year.

Doesn't always work

I could see a series of close frustrating losses because we are still mentally weak
    This is key. And I don't see it changing anytime soon. Pete prefers the mentally weak. It's a euphemism for coachable. Better players will improve upon his process, but the mentally weak fold under pressure.

Comparing floors is not relevant. Too much has changed since James was at UW. Hell, even comparing Petersen's ceiling to James' is moot; James had his ceiling collapsed by the Administration when he wouldn't sell out his staff to keep his job. This won't happen to Petersen. He's here as long as he wants to be. UW football forever became softcore under Tyrone, whose legacy has had a more lasting impact than did James'.

Everything happens faster these days, so I don't think Petersen deserves more time. Pete is soft. He is also stubborn. He want's to prove his accomplishments at BSU are achievable in a power 5 conference, and that his process can garner a natty. He still feels slighted he never got the chance to play in the BCS game when undefeated at BSU. It's no mistake he chose the PAC, the most mentally weak conference, to roll out his process.

• BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Recruiting is finding guys that won't melt at the site of a rosy cheek fat fuck trash talking Cal defensive lineman.

YDWHA
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Doesn't always work

I came into this year with irrational exuberance calling for 11-1 and King of North. Thought we were plug in play. Looking like that's not gonna work out and this is an 8- 10 win team in the regular season. Football's a tricky game and some years it's better to be lucky than good. For example, what's our 2018 season look like with 2019 Peyton Henry? Pete's earned my trust through year 8 no matter how frustrating this ride has been at times.

Chinned for the Greenspan gif analogy.

Probably right, except DJ produced at least a couple of teams that would have killed any Pete's put together to date. Pete's best team would be maimed by '84, '90 and '91 UW IMO.
    1991 beats 2016 100% of the Tim; 1990 beats them 81% of the Tim and 1984 about 90%. Again, those seasons were years 10, 16 and 17 repsecktively. We've got to think of this along the lines of geologic Tim, holmes.
    We often say a QB "shit himself" on a play, or call said QB "Browsocks", but that is all figurative of course. We don't mean actual pooping on the field. But I was THERE in '84 ese; you were a glimmer in Papa Yella's eyes. Listen up young buck.

The '84 defense would have made Browning actually blow brown liquid out of his ass into his pants and all over the field at the mere sight of Tim Meamber. And while the offense was no juggernaut, the running game would have been other-worldly for today's defenses. People didn't brag about their defense by yammering all day about their fucking DBs and some DB coach like current Washington. Rick Phinney would have hurt someone on 2016 UW D trying to tackle him. Not make them feel bruised. Literally, he would have maimed somebody on that defense. And if a fight broke out? Holy shit. Kevin Gogan and Meamber alone could have handled the entire 2016 team in fight. And even those two were smart enough to not ever fuck around with Ricky Andrews.

Not high scoring, but Washington '84 wins that one rather easily, say 24 to negative points. That, and 1990's win percentage goes to about 97% of the time, and 1991 150% of the time.

Otherwise, I agree with your assessment.

Doesn't always work

This is key. And I don't see it changing anytime soon. Pete prefers the mentally weak. It's a euphemism for coachable. Better players will improve upon his process, but the mentally weak fold under pressure.

Comparing floors is not relevant. Too much has changed since James was at UW. Hell, even comparing Petersen's ceiling to James' is moot; James had his ceiling collapsed by the Administration when he wouldn't sell out his staff to keep his job. This won't happen to Petersen. He's here as long as he wants to be. UW football forever became softcore under Tyrone, whose legacy has had a more lasting impact than did James'.

Everything happens faster these days, so I don't think Petersen deserves more time. Pete is soft. He is also stubborn. He want's to prove his accomplishments at BSU are achievable in a power 5 conference, and that his process can garner a natty. He still feels slighted he never got the chance to play in the BCS game when undefeated at BSU. It's no mistake he chose the PAC, the most mentally weak conference, to roll out his process.

I don't know if that's true of Pete or not, but I do agree that 'coachable' means 'I can make them behave however I want', and Tuff people usually don't present that way.
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,411
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

digits said:

He's 3-3 vs Cal, 48-22 overall.

During his tenure @ UW, Petersen has proven that his game time decision making is mediocre at best, especially in close games: 2014 @ UA (@TheChart), 2015 @ Boise, 2018 vs Auburn, 2018 @ 0reg0n, and now 2019 vs Cal, all stand out as examples.

The only win that could be considered an upset was 2015 @ SC.

Not to mention his bowl games record.

The man who coached one of the most memorable games in college football history (2007 Fiesta Bowl) is not the same coach we? see now, that's for damn sure.

I'm starting to think that his time at Boise fucked him a little. He never had close games on a regular basis. He was always blowing teams out and closing out the game early. I'm wondering if it fucked his game management and time management skills. In his big bowl wins he went out there like the spunky underdog and trick played their way into wins. But as in close games where his talent disparity isn't just overwhelming, he seems to have mental midget moments that are just baffling. It just seems like he's unfamiliar with what to do in those moments, and maybe it's because he's not used to being there.
    Quick glance at the records, looks like @ BSU he went 7-7 in games decided by 3 pts or less. Unimpressive.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

1991 beats 2016 100% of the Tim; 1990 beats them 81% of the Tim and 1984 about 90%. Again, those seasons were years 10, 16 and 17 repsecktively. We've got to think of this along the lines of geologic Tim, holmes.
    We often say a QB "shit himself" on a play, or call said QB "Browsocks", but that is all figurative of course. We don't mean actual pooping on the field. But I was THERE in '84 ese; you were a glimmer in Papa Yella's eyes. Listen up young buck.

The '84 defense would have made Browning actually blow brown liquid out of his ass into his pants and all over the field at the mere sight of Tim Meamber. And while the offense was no juggernaut, the running game would have been other-worldly for today's defenses. People didn't brag about their defense by yammering all day about their fucking DBs and some DB coach like current Washington. Rick Phinney would have hurt someone on 2016 UW D trying to tackle him. Not make them feel bruised. Literally, he would have maimed somebody on that defense. And if a fight broke out? Holy shit. Kevin Gogan and Meamber alone could have handled the entire 2016 team in fight. And even those two were smart enough to not ever fuck around with Ricky Andrews.

Not high scoring, but Washington '84 wins that one rather easily, say 24 to negative points. That, and 1990's win percentage goes to about 97% of the time, and 1991 150% of the time.

Otherwise, I agree with your assessment.
    Like huge liquid explosion? @PurpleBaze ?

Thanks for the laugh. And then the cry. I'm becoming soft like Pete. If this shit continues to degrade, I shudder the thought, I may go on to invent Hardcore Ducks.

Blount force trauma.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Thanks for the laugh. And then the cry. I'm becoming soft like Pete. If this shit continues to degrade, I shudder the thought, I may go on to invent Hardcore Ducks.

Blount force trauma.
    That was one of my scout handles
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The leveling up bullshit needs to stop. Same with the Clemson path type posts and articles. We have leveled up when we make the playoff again. Not because our average star rating is getting higher.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

The leveling up bullshit needs to stop. Same with the Clemson path type posts and articles. We have leveled up when we make the playoff again. Not because our average star rating is getting higher.

Winners win, losers talk about recruiting
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I edited Race's post just to correct the spelling of the word "site" as I don't think he meant to misspell it like a lot of you chimps like to do in your poasts.