Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DUCKFIGHTER ILLUSTRATED: CRISES AT MONTLAKE DAY 2,190

13»

Comments

• Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,412
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Don won his second title year 6 then #3 in year 7 then blew two more in a row by losing the Apple Cup twice

Don beat Texas in the Sun Bowl and Michigan in the Rose Bowl

There is plenty of room above the bar that James set. That's where I would prefer Pete aim.

Don also beat USC and UCLA in his first year when those schools were both top 15. He beat USC in 1977 when they were top 10. He beat Texas when they were #6. He beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl when they were #4.

Pete beat Stanford in 2016, and that's really about it in terms of marquee victories.
    I'd add Colorado

Don won his second title year 6 then #3 in year 7 then blew two more in a row by losing the Apple Cup twice

Don beat Texas in the Sun Bowl and Michigan in the Rose Bowl

There is plenty of room above the bar that James set. That's where I would prefer Pete aim.

Don also beat USC and UCLA in his first year when those schools were both top 15. He beat USC in 1977 when they were top 10. He beat Texas when they were #6. He beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl when they were #4.

Pete beat Stanford in 2016, and that's really about it in terms of marquee victories.
    I know it's just the Cuog, but I think you have to add 2016 and 2018 ACs because it decided who won the North... as well as the Pac 12 championship game wins.
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited September 2019
    PurpleJ said:

Your best recent effort. I hope Pete read it then started planning a day of oklahoma and gassers followed by running every stair in the stadium in full pads, then went to sleep in his office and started looking for an offensive coordinator that can actually exploit a blitz.

But I don’t think Pete wants to change. That is what scares me most.

I suspect Pete epitomizes the undersized, try hard, white guy stereotype. If so, this is a victim belief that is usually subconscious, and if he doesn’t let it go he won’t change. Instead he will try harder and demand greater execution towards perfectionism. I believe he wants to prove his success at BSU was not anomalous. Thus, he will continue to have inexperienced underlings at OC. But in his 6th season in a Power 5 conference, weak as the PAC 12 is, and having lost 3 NY6 bowl games, there’s ample evidence his insane process (unwillingness to change his script) needs adaptation. 2016 should have revealed the way forward to someone as cerebral as Pete. Turn the offense over to a competent OC and bring in players with tough, motherfucker attitudes.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,966
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

PurpleJ said:

Your best recent effort. I hope Pete read it then started planning a day of oklahoma and gassers followed by running every stair in the stadium in full pads, then went to sleep in his office and started looking for an offensive coordinator that can actually exploit a blitz.

I suspect Pete epitomizes the undersized, try hard, white guy stereotype. If so, this is a victim belief that is usually subconscious, and if he doesn’t let it go he won’t change. Instead he will try harder and demand greater execution towards perfectionism. I believe he wants to prove his success at BSU was not anomalous. Thus, he will continue to have inexperienced underlings at OC. But in his 6th season in a Power 5 conference, weak as the PAC 12 is, and having lost 3 NY6 bowl games, there’s ample evidence his insane process (unwillingness to change his script) needs adaptation. 2016 should have revealed the way forward to someone as cerebral as Pete. Turn the offense over to a competent OC and bring in players with tough, motherfucker attitudes.
    This is what scares us all. DJ was smart enough to see that his process needed major tweaks to reach the top. He adapted and won a NC. Pete, to this point, seems very resistant to change. In short, we fuct.
    He recognized it enough to bring in Tedford. So why hasn't he duplicated that effort?
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Swaye said:

PurpleJ said:

This is what scares us all. DJ was smart enough to see that his process needed major tweaks to reach the top. He adapted and won a NC. Pete, to this point, seems very resistant to change. In short, we fuct.
    He recognized it enough to bring in Tedford. So why hasn't he duplicated that effort?
    Tedford keeps saying no
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2019

PurpleJ said:

I think it’s more likely that his success at Boise bred a bit of arrogance and he thinks what he is doing will get him there. Agree that he hires OCs that will suck his dick and run HIS offense. It will take a bad season to make him rethink things. Pete needs to realize that the last several elite PAC teams all had dominant ground games, and we don’t. It isn’t a point of emphasis in his play calling or his preparation. We can’t run on everybody and we need to be able to if we want to take the next step.

Also, the reluctance to recruit potential felons is just as likely to be coming from upper campus as it is from Pete. Regardless, he wouldn’t have offered guys like Pharms and Stevens.