Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

You have $1000...

ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
...to defend a cabin in the woods from potential intruders.

Let’s say you want a minimum of 2 weapons.

What do you buy?

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    If I were in England. I'd buy two buck knives then spend the rest on hookers and blow.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    Assuming flamethrower's off the table

AR-15 and some stupid big Taurus pistol.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I'm partial to my Mini-14 and GP100
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

If I were in England. I'd buy two buck knives then spend the rest on hookers and blow.

LEAVE
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
    In all seriousness I’d have an axe, crowbar, multitool, and one of my knives with me. I’m not the best shot. Maybe some bear spray.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited September 2019
    EDIT: Putting the edit at the top. I am a dumbass and did not see the 1000 buck restriction. So, you can skip this section (which will set you back like 3K+) and go below where I answer your question within parameters. Or save your money, be a fucking baller, and do the below.

Cabin in the woods means no need for seriously long range stuff. So, Barrett 50, 338 and 308 stuff out.

I'd get a good lightweight easy handling AR platform with absolute nails credentials (suggest Barrett REC7) or a bullpup of some type (suggest Steyr AUG). By nails credentials I mean has actually seen combat use and has a track record of flawless performance. Optics are dealers choice but for woods suggest open sights or something simple and robust like the SIG ROMEO or an EOTech. Trijicon if you have deep pockets. B/U flip up irons regardless.

Then, for up close and personal I'd roll with a 12 gauge. I am assuming of course since this is defense we aren't talking 10 attackers. So yeah, shotgun for indoor work. Any Remington 870 pump will work, and if you want to go high end check out the Beretta 1301. Some folks say that you should never use an auto shotgun for defense, but those people are morons who live in the past. Reliability scores on the Beretta are through the roof (same with a Benelli M2) - I'd trust my life to either. You can even get the Beretta with a pistol grip stock - it says LE only but you can find them everywhere. If you do get a pump actually train with it. You'd be surprised how difficult simple manipulation tasks can be under duress. In either case get something with ghost ring sights - those are for people combat not birds.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    ANd if you really want a pistol you cannot go wrong with the new HK VP-9, or last generations P-30. I have shot half the pistols ever made and the ergo's, reliability, and shootability of these two pistols is the best I've ever seen sub 1 grand. If you want to go big time, the SIG Legion series is absolute tits but they will cost you. I have the 10MM and it is righteous.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited September 2019
    @ThomasFremont I fucked the entire thing up by not reading the 1000 bucks part. That changes everything. I am a known dumbfuck. As @PurpleThrobber suggests buy plane tickets for the gun nuts you know is your best option.

If not, get the Remington 870 and a cheap but reliable pistol (I'm thinking Glock for semi or Ruger for wheelgun). Might be tough to stay below a grand but you could stay close. Never scrimp on defense. Your life quite literally depends on it. Ruger and Glocks are cheaper guns, but they have a nice track record of reliable performance. The Remington is stone cold reliable.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,826
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

@ThomasFremont I fucked the entire thing up by not reading the 1000 bucks part. That changes everything. I am a known dumbfuck. As @PurpleThrobber suggests buy plane tickets for the gun nuts you know is your best option.

If not, get the Remington 870 and a cheap but reliable pistol (I'm thinking Glock for semi or Ruger for wheelgun). Might be tough to stay below a grand but you could stay close. Never scrimp on defense. Your life quite literally depends on it. Ruger and Glocks are cheaper guns, but they have a nice track record of reliable performance. The Remington is stone cold reliable.

Should I stock up on *real* native hookers or the costume store variety?

whynotboth.gif
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Instead of figuring out the best weapons platforms I’m trying to figure out how to use the terrain to funnel them into kill zones. We’re gonna need a chainsaw, a lot of rope, kerosene, stinging nettles, blackberry bushes, and some excavation equipment (with the $1000.00 spending cap, we’ll have to hire a Mexican with a shovel for that last one). Leave enough money on the table to buy me a tank of gas and I’ll load the car with my inventory.
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

Instead of figuring out the best weapons platforms I’m trying to figure out how to use the terrain to funnel them into kill zones. We’re gonna need a chainsaw, a lot of rope, kerosene, stinging nettles, blackberry bushes, and some excavation equipment (with the $1000.00 spending cap, we’ll have to hire a Mexican with a shovel for that last one). Leave enough money on the table to buy me a tank of gas and I’ll load the car with my inventory.

The G&R Compound is on high ground and has plentiful supplies/equipment. We good. Will need to check market conditions for llegals but pretty sure I can get six or seven at $1000 for a week's worth of work.

Do you like your blow already cut or in rock form?

• Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

USMChawk said:

The G&R Compound is on high ground and has plentiful supplies/equipment. We good. Will need to check market conditions for llegals but pretty sure I can get six or seven at $1000 for a week's worth of work.

I like my blow in Jack Daniels form.
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

I like my blow in Jack Daniels form.
    The G&R compound is self-sufficient. #moonshine
  • Options
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,733
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,733
    You need at least 3 guns. A rifle pistol and shotgun. For a little more than a grand you could get a Smith & Wesson AR sport 5.56, a Mossberg 500 8 shot pump 12 gauge and a S&W M&P 9mm, .40 or .45 pistol. These all work. Not all the greatest but fairly well proven. Sub in any decent quality handgun in that price range. More importantly you need to know how to use them.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Sledog said:

You need at least 3 guns. A rifle pistol and shotgun. For a little more than a grand you could get a Smith & Wesson AR sport 5.56, a Mossberg 500 8 shot pump 12 gauge and a S&W M&P 9mm, .40 or .45 pistol. These all work. Not all the greatest but fairly well proven. Sub in any decent quality handgun in that price range. More importantly you need to know how to use them.

I still maintain I would just save more and buy better guns, but yeah, this would work, or damn near that 1000 dollar limit.