Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Eason aside - Player you were either surprised by or most excited about after game 1.

Comments

• RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,678 Founders Club

Eason looking in control and making every throw look easy.

Dick Newton showing wiggle and drive and being the best RB on the day.

MJ Tafisi murdering motherfuckers.

Molden destroying the flats.

The entire DL and LB rotation seeming to hold up.

DL by the end of this year is going to be a dominant group
    Think what it can be in the next 2 years
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

No one has mentioned Myles Rice (#41) yet. He created the pressure that lead to Benning's first sack, and twice took on a few double-teams and still forced the QB out of the pocket. Not that he had a big game, but nice to see something material from him when the game still matters.

Most exciting is Newton. Falls forward on every run. Would be very surprised if he doesn't lead the team in rushing yards this season.

Myles was pleasant surprise. Dick Newton was tackled by 3 players. He did not give an inch
  • Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 783
    Did Draco play any snaps? Or is it time to move him to TE?
  • DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 708

Tryon was disappointing. Don’t think he has the bend to be a real force

Yup. I wouldn't rely on Tryon suddenly becoming a sack machine. He's stiff and doesn't burst. I see Ngata as being the sneaky guy off the edge.
    Bowman added weight but I don't think it's good weight because he's less flexible. He's added weight thinking his game would improve and it's going
    to fail him just like it failed Chorak back in the day.

Dick Newton - Elite speed is what separates him from a high 4-Star to 5-Star. Great body ...uses good lean on his runs, feet look good. Let him run downhill
    and he's going to be great for you.

Cam Williams - other than the gaffe on the TD he was generally where he was supposed to be and looking proficient. This kids gonna have an amazing year.

Kyler Gordon - good GAWD this kid loves run support. Needs to clean up the coverage stuff but he's looking good.

Trent McDuffie - Bursty ...a very clear athletic talent.

MJ Tafisi - Once his anticipation and intuition improves he's gonna be something. His motor is relentless. If he continues to grow next year a Sirmon, Tafisi, Heimuli Calvert, rotation sounds really good.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter

Did Draco play any snaps? Or is it time to move him to TE?

Yes, he was in one of the two last defensive series
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    Penace said:

I thought Sirmon really looked the part at linebacker. Great size and instincts.

MJ is a hitter imagine him at 235.

The o line pass blocked beautifully.

Rice flashed. Better at using his hands than I expected.

Benning looks like he has a non stop motor. I expect him to get drafted.

It looks like offensively we understand that we can attack the middle of the field. God Damn Browning was so fucking bad.

All in all I very pleased. Last year was incredibly frustrating. This year and this team looks like fun.

Lol MJ is exactly 235
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    tafis needs more reps, physically he is there. pretty sure he killed somene yesterday he was out there for blood
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    I already knew fuller was good but I love how he keeps the defender away from where the catch is. It will be real fun to watch now that the dawgs got a gun slinger.
  • PenacePenace Member Posts: 494

Penace said:

I thought Sirmon really looked the part at linebacker. Great size and instincts.

MJ is a hitter imagine him at 235.

The o line pass blocked beautifully.

Rice flashed. Better at using his hands than I expected.

Benning looks like he has a non stop motor. I expect him to get drafted.

It looks like offensively we understand that we can attack the middle of the field. God Damn Browning was so fucking bad.

All in all I very pleased. Last year was incredibly frustrating. This year and this team looks like fun.

Lol MJ is exactly 235
    Ya I guess you're right ha. Well 240 then or something...
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

I wasn't disappointed in Tryon at all. I think people just--again--need to reset their expectations for what this defense asks their OLB to do. It's not wide-9, pin your ears back, get deep, and bend to the QB. A lot of the time they're asked to engage the OT, lock out, and hold the edge. Once locked out with the OT, they've lost any speed advantage, and the only option to get to the QB is to collapse the pocket in. It's not sexy, but it's been effective. I LOVE Tryon in this role. To me, he doesn't look too stiff at all for this. If anything, he's a more twitchy and maybe slightly less strong Benning.

When questioning Tryon's athleticism, I'd recommend focusing more on how quickly he can disengage and get out to the sideline for inside help on screens or keep up with backs on outside runs or swings/flares. He's elite at that for his size. Gets out there in a hurry, and few running backs are going to beat him to the edge.

For whatever reason, the staff long ago decided that pressure isn't the most important thing, and that bringing it from the secondary is the preferred method anyway. I was kind of hoping that would change this year (was expecting big things from Tryon/Ngata after reading what they both did all camp), but, if this last game is any indication, it looks like another year of more of the same.

So #1 total defense and #1 scoring defense? Okay, guess we'll just have to settle for that...

More of the same in methodology? Sure, I'd agree that we're not going to see a sudden shift to a front seven that prioritizes pressuring the QB. But we didn't have that approach in 2016 or 2017, yet we were still near the top of the league in sacks. Last year was the outlier, and while our approach doesn't look to have changed much, yesterday suggested that our pass rush is going to look a lot more like 16/17 than the anemic crap we had last year.