Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Inverted Yield Curve

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
Discuss?

It's been a pretty good predictor, but then it seems when you tell everybody something's been a good predictor it entrenches that thing as a pretty good predictor, in a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of way.

Information is supposed to make markets more pure, but it's such a reactive thing anymore I wonder.

Welp, some stocks might be on sale soon.

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fed increased rates, fed is now decreasing rates. People like having better rates.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Also, when economic conditions lag what is the first thing the fed does as a preventative step to try and either prevent or mitigate a recession? They cut rates.

This creates a pretty high correlation while not necessarily meaning the two are causal or perfectly related.

Lurking variables.

Even @CirrhosisDawg hasn't shorted ALL of his investments I would guess.
  • Options

Fed increased rates, fed is now decreasing rates. People like having better rates.

I know. But when short-term rates are higher than long-term rates, it's a signal of the market's flight to safety. Either they're right, or their actions might make the prophecy self-fulfilling, or bofe!

Sure, the fed cutting rates should help. But is there a more fundamental problem? I don't know. This trade war bidness we have discussed might exact more pain from us in the short to medium-term than we thought. Other issues at play?

The rate cut should help the yield stocks, something near and dear to my heart.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Who cares. DCA. BTFD on every good selloff.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember when the market was a rigged game for the 1%

Occupy
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    UST’s are one of the last refuges of safe positive return. Even at an anemic1.60% or so on the ten year, it’s the most safe enclave while trump tilts at windmills and chases great white whales on his quixotic trade war. A normal sloping yield curve (although very flat) can and will return as soon as trump declares victory and leaves this colossal mess to sort itself through markets.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Real estate

Shortage of stock and over supply of renters

Put your cash in rentals

Profit
  • Options

Discounted Assets? Buy the fuck down on every good selloff?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,821
    Gold. Buy Buy buy.

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Discounted Assets? Buy the fuck down on every good selloff?
    Dollar Cost Average on quality stock. Buy the f'ing Dips. The big daily or weekly chart dips. Scale in and short volatility when VIX > 20
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Discuss?

It's been a pretty good predictor, but then it seems when you tell everybody something's been a good predictor it entrenches that thing as a pretty good predictor, in a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of way.

Information is supposed to make markets more pure, but it's such a reactive thing anymore I wonder.

All of the Central Banks are so far from normal with low (to negative) interest rates I don’t think any of the previous “rules” mean much anymore. Nobody is making borrowing decisions based on interest payments or cuts in them when you are already at 3% or lower...all it is now is a measure of currency strength.

Stocks are nuts at these levels, but when you look at these low rates and the rest of the world basically already in a recession where else are you going to put your money?
  • Options

Discuss?

All of the Central Banks are so far from normal with low (to negative) interest rates I don’t think any of the previous “rules” mean much anymore. Nobody is making borrowing decisions based on interest payments or cuts in them when you are already at 3% or lower...all it is now is a measure of currency strength.

Stocks are nuts at these levels, but when you look at these low rates and the rest of the world basically already in a recession where else are you going to put your money?
    You mean people with money? In 1.6% ten year USTs.
    JFC
  • Options
    Reply to @Blu82
    Yes, yes(lol), lol, yes, lol, lol, lol.
  • Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,503
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Reply to @Blu82

Translation: "I don't have a fucking clue as to what I'm talking about. However, I'll continue to try and say smart guy stuff in hopes that nobody will expose me".

• Options
    Blu82 said:

Reply to @Blu82

Translation: "I don't have a fucking clue as to what I'm talking about. However, I'll continue to try and say smart guy stuff in hopes that nobody will expose me".

I would hate to be exposed. I’m calling you out. You just regurgitated 300 words of meaningless gibberish that confirms for me that you are a fucking idiot. Go for it you moron.
  • Options

Discuss?

Gold. Buy buy buy

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Discuss?

JFC
    What the fuck are you rambling about? I’m talking about businesses being able to pretty much borrow however much they want at crazy low rates. Cutting interest rates doesn’t spur them to borrow more because we are already at insanely low rates.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Discuss?

JFC
    What the fuck are you rambling about? I’m talking about businesses being able to pretty much borrow however much they want at crazy low rates. Cutting interest rates doesn’t spur them to borrow more because we are already at insanely low rates.

True.

Funds will flow to the US for better yields and relative safety, low political risk.

Domestic borrowing isn’t going to change much.

• Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,503
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Blu82 said:

Reply to @Blu82

I would hate to be exposed. I’m calling you out. You just regurgitated 300 words of meaningless gibberish that confirms for me that you are a fucking idiot. Go for it you moron.
    CD proudly waving the white flag because he can't refute anything I said.