Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Big Day for you today O'Keefed...

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I've always said that it was a curiously terrible choice of police incidents on which to make this political stand. Just terrible.

There are invariably so many others from which to choose. This wasn't it.

There are bad cops who abuse theIt authority. My classmates who went the prosecutor route will tell you the same thing, because those cops tend to make their jobs harder. And that's in Seattle, which has a Mickey Mouse violent crime problem compared to many US cities.

Completely agree. The Walter Scott shooting would have made a lot better case.
    Or that poor bastard they choked for selling cigarettes without a license.
    Blame Mayor Bloomberg. He is the one who wanted the selling of "loosies" clamped down on. Bad things can happen when you resist arrest.
    No mention of the officers poor ability to be in control of physical confrontations?
    No mention of criminal resistance. Illegal even if it was an unlawful arrest. That's where the blame lies.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I've always said that it was a curiously terrible choice of police incidents on which to make this political stand. Just terrible.

There are bad cops who abuse theIt authority. My classmates who went the prosecutor route will tell you the same thing, because those cops tend to make their jobs harder. And that's in Seattle, which has a Mickey Mouse violent crime problem compared to many US cities.

Blame Mayor Bloomberg. He is the one who wanted the selling of "loosies" clamped down on. Bad things can happen when you resist arrest.
    No mention of the officers poor ability to be in control of physical confrontations?
    When you resist arrest bad things can happen. Maybe you’ll get trigger happy cop. Maybe you’ll be roughed up more than was necessary all kinds of bad things can happen.

If he didn’t resist would he have been put in a sleeper hold?
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Sledog said:

Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

No mention of criminal resistance. Illegal even if it was an unlawful arrest. That's where the blame lies.
    I'm a police officer no one will ever resist me!! I shouldn't have to train how to easily control a resisting human being!!
  • Options
    I just watched the video. The officers are actually arguing with the subject about whether he did something wrong or not. Talk about being a limp dick police officer, can't even control the dialogue.
  • Options
    Gwad said:

Sledog said:

Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I'm a police officer no one will ever resist me!! I shouldn't have to train how to easily control a resisting human being!!
    Really? control a 500lb guy. Please post the video we'll see how you do. Having used and seen a carotid restraint used many times and had it applied to myself I can report everyone lived and no injuries. He could breathe just fine or he wouldn't be yelling "I can't breathe".
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Gwad said:

Sledog said:

Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Why was he being arrested simply for selling loose cigs? Isn't that something you'd just receive a ticket for? So why was he being arrested? And you dodged the question, would he have been put in a choke hold if he complied with the officers requests?
  • Options
    Oh please their were four officers there and the guy is 500lb of 'let me prepare myself to roll out of bed'. He used the choke hold to take the suspect down without ever trying to use a trip once off balance which is really poor technique. He tried to grab the suspects wrist before moving into the pseudo quarter nelson choke hold. A high probability of succeeding in control of his whole arm would of been a firm grip on the knuckles with his whole hand rather than the wrist control he attempted. Not to mention he never tries to use the wall they have him trapped up against as an element of control. The other officer isnt even ready for a altercation or to help the other guy throwing his hail mary choke hold. Pretty bad look for the brand of 'Protect and Serve' if you don't even know how to throw down.
  • Options
    Brazilian jiu-jitsu is founded on the concept that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend themselves against a bigger, stronger, heavier opponent by using technique, leverage, and most notably, taking the fight to the ground, and then applying joint locks and chokeholds to defeat the opponent.
  • Options
    Gwad said:

Oh please their were four officers there and the guy is 500lb of 'let me prepare myself to roll out of bed'. He used the choke hold to take the suspect down without ever trying to use a trip once off balance which is really poor technique. He tried to grab the suspects wrist before moving into the pseudo quarter nelson choke hold. A high probability of succeeding in control of his whole arm would of been a firm grip on the knuckles with his whole hand rather than the wrist control he attempted. Not to mention he never tries to use the wall they have him trapped up against as an element of control. The other officer isnt even ready for a altercation or to help the other guy throwing his hail mary choke hold. Pretty bad look for the brand of 'Protect and Serve' if you don't even know how to throw down.

I see the police defensive tactics instructor has arrived.

Waiting to see you in action any word on when we can see the video?
  • Options
    I'll throw down with you. The guy wasn't even fighting back he was just resisting cuffs. Its pretty ez to see. The untrained officer threw up a hail mary because he knew he was undersized and has limited experience in physical confrontations.
  • Options
    I get it you can sit here and say what you want about technique until you're getting punched in the face. The fact is the suspect never assaulted any of these officers. The officers instigated a physical confrontation that went outside the realm of their control. They should be training techniques EVERY DAY and handle the control of a resisting human being objectively rather than a hail mary choke hold. Its bad for their brand otherwise.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Gwad said:

I just watched the video. The officers are actually arguing with the subject about whether he did something wrong or not. Talk about being a limp dick police officer, can't even control the dialogue.

Why were they arresting him?
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Gwad said:

Well the video I am looking at the officers are exhibiting poor body language. Lack of eye contact, arms crossed or in their pockets and the excited suspect is asking what he did. I don't see any de-escalation techniques being administered. They just seem kind of autistic. Having trouble finding the whole original video though.
  • Options
    Gwad said:

I get it you can sit here and say what you want about technique until you're getting punched in the face. The fact is the suspect never assaulted any of these officers. The officers instigated a physical confrontation that went outside the realm of their control. They should be training techniques EVERY DAY and handle the control of a resisting human being objectively rather than a hail mary choke hold. Its bad for their brand otherwise.

I can see you've never had to control anyone. You are required by law to submit to arrest. How is it the cops fault he resists? How is it their fault he had a heart attack later? He was hugely obese and obviously not in good health. No it was not the fault of police and the police were not prosecuted for any wrong doing.

But keep trying to hold your internet trials after this case went through massive scrutiny and was found to not be improper and without any charges filed against the officers.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

Gwad said:

Well the video I am looking at the officers are exhibiting poor body language. Lack of eye contact, arms crossed or in their pockets and the excited suspect is asking what he did. I don't see any de-escalation techniques being administered. They just seem kind of autistic. Having trouble finding the whole original video though.
    He was being placed under arrest. He was resisting arrest. If you don't want bad things to happen to you don't resist arrest. Assume that all cops are going have "poor body language" and crossed arms and do what the fuck the police are asking you to do. If the police are asking you to do something illegal or immoral that's something you can address later downtown, But when you're being placed under arrest is not the time to play street lawyer.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Sledog said:

Gwad said:

I can see you've never had to control anyone. You are required by law to submit to arrest. How is it the cops fault he resists? How is it their fault he had a heart attack later? He was hugely obese and obviously not in good health. No it was not the fault of police and the police were not prosecuted for any wrong doing.

But keep trying to hold your internet trials after this case went through massive scrutiny and was found to not be improper and without any charges filed against the officers.
    I practice controlling people on a semi regular basis and its tough especially when they have training to minimize your control and increase theirs. I'm not subscribing to any sort of legal consequence either way. In the context of being a COP though and based on the video evidence of this physical confrontation it was a pretty piss poor showing of how these guys were trained.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Gwad said:

SFGbob said:

Gwad said:

He was being placed under arrest. He was resisting arrest. If you don't want bad things to happen to you don't resist arrest. Assume that all cops are going have "poor body language" and crossed arms and do what the fuck the police are asking you to do. If the police are asking you to do something illegal or immoral that's something you can address later downtown, But when you're being placed under arrest is not the time to play street lawyer.
    Dumb. Your job is to be a professional cop. If you're always blaming the perp on the outcomes than it creates a cognitive bias that diminishes your ability to become better at your job.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited August 2019
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I completely agree. And don't hold to me to the details, because it's been a while. But wasn't the victim a neighborhood kid, they knew where he lived, he was always around, he was enormous so he wasn't going to run and hide very well, etc. etc.??

At some point, if you're a good cop, I think you let that kid go and you follow him and you keep working to try and do it right. I'm not a second guesser by nature, but that one always bugged me. Completely agree that resisting arrest is a very, very bad idea, no matter how fucked you think the arrest is. Sort it out later.

But as I recall there were three or more cops taking this kid down where they busted him and one had him in a choke hold, and he told them over and over again he couldn't breathe.

Reminds me of what happened to Anthony Vontoure.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Sledog said:

SFGbob said:

They did not choke him to death. Holy shit.......
    Then what happened?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    First of all I'm not always blaming the perp. And the job of the bus driver is to always stop at the red light. Now I can be a child and stamp my feet and say you were supposed to stop at the red light Mr. Bus driver after I blindly walk out into traffic not bothering to even look if the on coming traffic has slowed down, while foolishly relying on it's the job of the bus driver to stop. Or I can use a little common sense and look both ways before crossing and not assume that all bus drivers are always going to do their job properly.

You must live in some kind of special world where people aren't humans prone to the errors and mistakes and bad judgment and all the other human flaws that are out there.

Yes, the cops should have acted professionally, and he shouldn't have resisted arrest. Which part of that equation did Eric Garner have control over?