Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Lets say i was going to make a Manhattan..

What type of whiskey would you all recommend?

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    My go to Bulliet rye or bourbon.

I go light on the vermouth and heavy on the bitters.

Use some quality cherries
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Manhattan Clam Chowder

YIELD 8 to 10 servings
    TIME 1 hour

You either like Manhattan clam chowder or you don’t. James Beard famously called it “horrendous.” But the chowder has its fans — the acidity of the tomatoes helps temper the salinity of the broth, and offers a pleasing sweetness besides. Green peppers and carrots add to the effect, and the garlic and red-pepper flakes speak to New York’s immigrant past. It is certainly not a new development in the long history of clam chowder. Recipes for similar red-hued versions date back to the days of Delmonico’s in the late 19th century.

24 medium-size quahog clams, usually rated ‘‘top neck’’ or ‘‘cherrystone,’’ rinsed
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    ¼ pound slab bacon or salt pork, diced
    1 large Spanish onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    2 large ribs celery, cleaned and diced
    1 medium-size green pepper, diced
    2 medium-size carrots, peeled and diced
    Red-pepper flakes, to taste
    3 large Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
    3 sprigs thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed or roughly diced
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    ¼ cup chopped parsley

Put the clams in a large, heavy Dutch oven, add about 4 cups water, then set over medium-high heat. Cover, and cook until clams have opened, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. (Clams that fail to open after 15 to 20 minutes should be discarded.) Strain clam broth through a sieve lined with cheesecloth or doubled-up paper towels, and set aside. Remove clams from shells, and set those aside as well.

Rinse out the pot, and return it to stove. Add butter, and turn heat to medium-low. Add bacon or salt pork, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat has rendered and the pork has started to brown, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove pork from fat, and set aside.

Add onions, garlic, celery, green peppers and carrots to the fat, and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft but not brown, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in potatoes, and continue cooking until they have just started to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add 4 cups of clam broth, reserving the rest for another use. Add the sprigs of thyme and the bay leaf.
    Partly cover the pot, and simmer gently until potatoes are tender, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Using the back of a wooden spoon, smash a few potatoes against the side of the pot to release their starch and help thicken the broth.

Meanwhile, chop the clams into bits that are about the size of the bacon dice.
    When potatoes are tender, stir in tomatoes, and heat them through. Add chopped clams and reserved bacon, stirring to combine. Add black pepper to taste. Let chowder come to a simmer, and remove from heat. Fish out the thyme and the bay leaf, and discard.
    The chowder should be allowed to sit for a while to cure. Reheat it before serving, then garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with oyster crackers.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016719-manhattan-clam-chowder

I will get a divorce if you promise to make this once per week forever.
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Swaye was Race all along? Vote makes sense now.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Regular Bulleit is heavy on the rye anyhow in the mash bill, so it drinks more like a straight rye than your typical bourbon. I used to be like 4 to 1 on whiskey to vermouth but am now like 2 to 1 once DDY turned me on to the premium Vermouth brands. Antiqua formula is the chiznit.
  • RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Regular Bulleit is heavy on the rye anyhow in the mash bill, so it drinks more like a straight rye than your typical bourbon. I used to be like 4 to 1 on whiskey to vermouth but am now like 2 to 1 once DDY turned me on to the premium Vermouth brands. Antiqua formula is the chiznit.
    This is what i have. Ive been using knob creek since thats what i had around. 2 to 1 ratio has done the job so far.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is what i have. Ive been using knob creek since thats what i had around. 2 to 1 ratio has done the job so far.
    Knob Creek is solid and they must have a surplus because the price has dropped a ton of late. I find that the vermouth stays ok in the fridge for about a week, but I can definitely tell the difference between a fresh bottle and a week old one in my drink.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Manhattan Clam Chowder

YIELD 8 to 10 servings
    TIME 1 hour

You either like Manhattan clam chowder or you don’t. James Beard famously called it “horrendous.” But the chowder has its fans — the acidity of the tomatoes helps temper the salinity of the broth, and offers a pleasing sweetness besides. Green peppers and carrots add to the effect, and the garlic and red-pepper flakes speak to New York’s immigrant past. It is certainly not a new development in the long history of clam chowder. Recipes for similar red-hued versions date back to the days of Delmonico’s in the late 19th century.

24 medium-size quahog clams, usually rated ‘‘top neck’’ or ‘‘cherrystone,’’ rinsed
    3 sprigs thyme
    1 bay leaf
    ¼ cup chopped parsley

Put the clams in a large, heavy Dutch oven, add about 4 cups water, then set over medium-high heat. Cover, and cook until clams have opened, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. (Clams that fail to open after 15 to 20 minutes should be discarded.) Strain clam broth through a sieve lined with cheesecloth or doubled-up paper towels, and set aside. Remove clams from shells, and set those aside as well.

Rinse out the pot, and return it to stove. Add butter, and turn heat to medium-low. Add bacon or salt pork, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat has rendered and the pork has started to brown, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove pork from fat, and set aside.

Add onions, garlic, celery, green peppers and carrots to the fat, and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft but not brown, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in potatoes, and continue cooking until they have just started to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add 4 cups of clam broth, reserving the rest for another use. Add the sprigs of thyme and the bay leaf.
    Partly cover the pot, and simmer gently until potatoes are tender, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Using the back of a wooden spoon, smash a few potatoes against the side of the pot to release their starch and help thicken the broth.

When potatoes are tender, stir in tomatoes, and heat them through. Add chopped clams and reserved bacon, stirring to combine. Add black pepper to taste. Let chowder come to a simmer, and remove from heat. Fish out the thyme and the bay leaf, and discard.
    The chowder should be allowed to sit for a while to cure. Reheat it before serving, then garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with oyster crackers.

You'll still have to get the restraining order lifted, @Swaye
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,704
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I read this shit earlier. I’m on a tequila spree of late. For some reason I wasn’t feeling it today and bought gentlemen’s jack. Didn’t even realize the subliminal advertising.

HCHIRL.

And... I’m sorry Damone. I will gladly enjoy a drink with you tonight.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Manhattan Clam Chowder

YIELD 8 to 10 servings
    TIME 1 hour

3 sprigs thyme
    1 bay leaf
    ¼ cup chopped parsley

@puppylove_sugarsteel need your expert opinion on clams
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Manhattan Clam Chowder

YIELD 8 to 10 servings
    TIME 1 hour

3 sprigs thyme
    1 bay leaf
    ¼ cup chopped parsley

We need a non-punitive down vote option for these types of posts. Manhattan clam chowder? I thought you were cultured and had good taste!
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Mad_Son said:

Manhattan Clam Chowder

YIELD 8 to 10 servings
    TIME 1 hour

3 sprigs thyme
    1 bay leaf
    ¼ cup chopped parsley

We need a non-punitive down vote option for these types of posts. Manhattan clam chowder? I thought you were cultured and had good taste!
    For the record, I actually only eat New England style chowder. But who am I to let that stand in the way of one of my lame jokes?
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Manhattan clam chowder?

I will eat vomit first

NECCOGTFO