Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Andrew Yang

Comments

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    jecornel said:

One economic incompetent person living off the govt just endorsed another. Seems about right.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Nobody wants to explain how the poor are getting stolen from when they are getting 12k per adult back?
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,611
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

One economic incompetent person living off the govt just endorsed another. Seems about right.
    I'm sure you are much more dialed in than Elon.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I don’t know if Yang intends to replace other tax measures with his new ones or not. But politically, taxes are always additive.
  • Options

Nobody wants to explain how the poor are getting stolen from when they are getting 12k per adult back?

He literally said in his Joe Rogan interview that current govt benefits (ie food stamps, etc) get deducted from the $1,000/month. Not sure how else to say it.
  • Options
    jecornel said:

jecornel said:

I’m not dialed in enough to get billions raised for a company that has lost $9 billion and counting so far, much less get sanctioned by the SEC and steal from my stockholders to bail out my cousin’s solar failure. But keep attacking the messenger because you don’t like the message Little Jimmy.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

I’m not dialed in enough to get billions raised for a company that has lost $9 billion and counting so far, much less get sanctioned by the SEC and steal from my stockholders to bail out my cousin’s solar failure. But keep attacking the messenger because you don’t like the message Little Jimmy.
    Can you put billionaire next to your name?
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

He literally said in his Joe Rogan interview that current govt benefits (ie food stamps, etc) get deducted from the $1,000/month. Not sure how else to say it.
    Right, but thats exactly the point. The idea is that UBI eventually replaces other welfare programs as people are incentivized to take the $1000, which has no bureaucracy or red tape behind it unlike other welfare programs such as food stamps. Food stamps are a great example because they have weird restrictions and actually make it harder in many cases for low income people to buy actual healthy food. UBI is a far more flexible and empowering replacement. From a conservative point of view I would think this makes more sense and Im surprised you seem to be arguing for other welfare programs.
  • Options
    jecornel said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

Can you put billionaire next to your name?
    Nope. Our President can, but that doesn’t stop you from disagreeing with him. Is the rule now we can only question billionaires’ beliefs if they are Trump, but not if they are someone you agree with like Elon’s? Can I use this “Can you put billionaire next to your name?” response every time your sandy vag gets worked up over something Trump tweets?

Little Jimmy moving into HondoFS territory now...

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter

Right, but thats exactly the point. The idea is that UBI eventually replaces other welfare programs as people are incentivized to take the $1000, which has no bureaucracy or red tape behind it unlike other welfare programs such as food stamps. Food stamps are a great example because they have weird restrictions and actually make it harder in many cases for low income people to buy actual healthy food. UBI is a far more flexible and empowering replacement. From a conservative point of view I would think this makes more sense and Im surprised you seem to be arguing for other welfare programs.
    What are those restrictions?
  • Options

But instead his proposal is the absolute worst of all worlds. It doesn’t replace the current structure of govt benefits so no savings occur there (most people getting those benefits get more than $1,000/month so they don’t get anything from this deal), you add another govt agency and the overhead that costs, and now the poor who didn’t get anything would now be spending a good chunk of their small income on VAT and carbon taxes which almost specifically target them. All so they can fund giving the middle class $1,000/month.

It’s fucking stupid, but because Yang is pretty articulate and jokes about being Asian and “understanding” math people eat it up without looking at the details and thinking about it.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter
    Everything I know about the Food Stamp program is that it’s participants on average have less nutritious diets than people who aren’t on Food Stamps and it has nothing to do any restrictions.

Hell I posted that article the other day that showed soda pop and other sugary drinks are the most frequent items purchased with food stamps
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,239
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Elon knows how to relax!
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mohr’s Walken impression is amazing. Much better than Yang’s or Musk’s. Mohr in 2020.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

So a metric fuckton of new taxes

Financial transaction tax is negligible, carbon tax will incentivize businesses to at least try, as we’ve said time after time VAT shouldn’t affect costs to a level that UBI cant offset and then some. Imo these are all on larger businesses that can shoulder them. Houston said its robbing from the lower class to help the middle, but the way I read it its using big business to generate rev for middle and lower class. Yangs entire platform and focus before this has been to stimulate SMBs and entrepreneurship in places other than the coasts.
    VAT and carbon taxes are the most regressive type of taxes around. Add to that an injection of inflation for those services and you are literally robbing the poor to give to the rich. Especially since the last interview I saw with Yang he specifically said that current government benefits will be deducted from your $1,000/month (ie the poorest don’t get any more yet are now stuck paying VAT taxes).

It is literally stealing from the poor to give money to the middle class.
    But then you support tariffs.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,985
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Carbon tax is outright theft. Fuck that Shit!
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,992
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    But then you support the chicoms and a carbon tax which would dwarf the chicom tariffs
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,985
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

So a metric fuckton of new taxes

Financial transaction tax is negligible, carbon tax will incentivize businesses to at least try, as we’ve said time after time VAT shouldn’t affect costs to a level that UBI cant offset and then some. Imo these are all on larger businesses that can shoulder them. Houston said its robbing from the lower class to help the middle, but the way I read it its using big business to generate rev for middle and lower class. Yangs entire platform and focus before this has been to stimulate SMBs and entrepreneurship in places other than the coasts.
    VAT and carbon taxes are the most regressive type of taxes around. Add to that an injection of inflation for those services and you are literally robbing the poor to give to the rich. Especially since the last interview I saw with Yang he specifically said that current government benefits will be deducted from your $1,000/month (ie the poorest don’t get any more yet are now stuck paying VAT taxes).

It is literally stealing from the poor to give money to the middle class.
    But then you support tariffs.
    Tariffs were how we funded government before the ultra rich wanted income taxes so they could were sure they'd be repaid for the money they were loaning the government.