Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2019: Washington Has Joined The Elite

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I am obviously here to enthusiastically shit on how bad Jake Browning was.

ENTHUSIASTICALLY.

People forget that he also tried to throw an INT to a Utah DT right before our miraculous comeback against them in 2017. He's the only guy I've ever seen throw two picks trying to throw it out of bounds.

STILL...

... and this is the kind of insight you can only get on bowdowntowashington.com the football board on HardcoreHusky...

look at the DISTRIBUTION OF TALENT.

What we've been saying the whole time is 'of course we are getting smashed by the teams with more talent'. We entered 'the ratio' (only fuckheads believe shit like this really means anything) this year.

BECAUSE OF OUR 18 and 19 CLASSES!

We will be a lot more talented this year, yes. And it's the reason why @WilburHooksHands says WASHINGTON 2.0 and I agree with that. That starts this year. And if we play Skinny and he doesn't play like a retard and defenses have to defend things beyond 20 yards, that will change a lot.

But just be cause we have THE RATIO (insert eye roll) doesn't mean we are all of a sudden going to beat good teams.

That talent is going to take at least another year to filter into the main people playing.

As I've always said - if half the players on your team (EQUALLY DISTRIBUTED THROUGH ALL CLASSES DUH) are blue chips, then Brian Clay starting is (weird, but) fine. Because he beat out good players. But when you have those guys starting because Andre Baccelia is beating out Jordan Chin, well then... that's a different issue and that's why we can beat up on Oregon State and get fucking flattened by Ohio State.

We are like the tupperware in Napoleon Dynamite. If some loser in a house (WSU in this analogy) tries to rip it apart he's not going to be able to do it, but when you put it under a van (Ohio State) it's going to explode.

However, if we do what we should in the next two classes, combining those with 18 and 19 which were our first REAL classes, then we will be actually elite and start beating teams.

I don't get why people don't understand this. It's not that complicated. We have a great coach. We have a bit of a beta problem, yes, but we also have beta players.

Once we get a coach like Pete with talent like we have now at DB throughout the roster, all of a sudden, as if by magic, we will start being competitive with teams like Ohio State.

This year is kind of interesting because like 1990, we have some real talent, but it's young. However, maybe Skinny lives up to what he should be and we get a Cam Newton-esque performance out of him and he makes the difference between 10 and 14 wins like Cam and Jameis did.

HOW ARE WE GOING TO REPLACE FEENEY AND LITTLETON?!?!?

Yeah, but why is bowdowntowashington.com trying to steal my credit card?
    Because I'm broke you fucking elitist pos.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Holy shit that's bad

We? really should have lost. That's the kind of play the DOOMS you

I wonder if the Husky placekicker was rolling his eyes on that play.
    The throw sure looks like Erik Folk level arm talent.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

We really haven't beaten anyone. Good lord.

Correct. Most of the Blue Chips we have are underclassmen.

At the time of our losses to the big boys:

2016: 24th in Country in 5 Year Talent - 0 Five Stars - 21 Four Stars - 56 Three Stars - 8 Two Stars (or less) - 85.73 Average Composite Score - 21 Blue Chip

Lost to Bama in Peach Bowl - 1st in Country in 5 Year Talent - 17 Five Stars - 44 Four Stars - 20 Three Stars - 1 Two Star (or Less) - 92.72 Average Composite Score - 61 Blue Chip

2017: 24th in Country in 5 Year Talent - 0 Five Stars - 23 Four Stars - 55 Three Stars - 7 Two Stars (or less) - 85.98 Average Composite Score - 23 Blue Chip

Lost to PSU in Fiesta Bowl - 19th in Country in 5 Year Talent - 1 Five Star - 33 Four Stars - 48 Three Stars - 3 Two Stars (or less) - 87.89 Average - 34 Blue Chip

2018: 20th in Country in 5 Year Talent - 1 Five Star - 31 Four Stars - 47 Three Stars - 6 Two Stars (or Less) - 87.25 Average Composite Score - 31 Blue Chip

Lost to tOSU in Rose Bowl - 1st in Country in 5 Year Talent - 11 Five Stars - 55 Four Stars - 17 Three Stars - 2 Two Stars (or less) - 92.89 Average Composite Score - 66 Blue Chip

Pete was attempting to punch well above his weight class in the NY6 Bowels, and unfortunately it wasn't happening. Yet the Dawgs never got boat raced.

Next season he is going to have DOUBLE the Blue Chip talent he had in those years, and now there will be Blue Chips filling the full 2 deep.

It isn’t microwave popcorn Derek.
    We never stood a chance against Penn State, Alabama and Ohio State. They all could have boat raced us if they hadn't let up on the throttle. And the sad thing is we could have beaten Ohio State with a better game plan. You're making Pete sound like he was a valiant warrior who gave it everything he had going down in defeat. You're being an enabler.

And you could also ask why we were saddled with Browning to begin with -- and whose fault was that? Why weren't other competent QBs recruited in that span? Again, that's on Petersen.

Look at UCLA - you can have blue chips coming out your ears. If you don't win big games with them then who cares?

This doesn't mean I think Petersen is shit, or I don't acknowledge his exciting recruiting of late. It means UW doesn't deserve to be named among the nation's elite until they actually beat somebody of note.
    - Peterman is learning to dominate the same weight class instead of just being known for punching above his weight class
    - learning to be an arrogant front runner and then step on people's throats is a skill and mindset in its own
    - he's getting the talent
    - we'll see if he makes it to the promised land.
    - he's already adopted the Poly shirt and talked into the camera and did a minor version of the Oregon circle jerk session for a recruit ... He's slowly getting there (we hope)
  • Options
    TacoSoupTacoSoup Member Posts: 148

2016: 24th in Country in 5 Year Talent - 0 Five Stars - 21 Four Stars - 56 Three Stars - 8 Two Stars (or less) - 85.73 Average Composite Score - 21 Blue Chip

Lost to Bama in Peach Bowl - 1st in Country in 5 Year Talent - 17 Five Stars - 44 Four Stars - 20 Three Stars - 1 Two Star (or Less) - 92.72 Average Composite Score - 61 Blue Chip

2017: 24th in Country in 5 Year Talent - 0 Five Stars - 23 Four Stars - 55 Three Stars - 7 Two Stars (or less) - 85.98 Average Composite Score - 23 Blue Chip

Lost to PSU in Fiesta Bowl - 19th in Country in 5 Year Talent - 1 Five Star - 33 Four Stars - 48 Three Stars - 3 Two Stars (or less) - 87.89 Average - 34 Blue Chip

2018: 20th in Country in 5 Year Talent - 1 Five Star - 31 Four Stars - 47 Three Stars - 6 Two Stars (or Less) - 87.25 Average Composite Score - 31 Blue Chip

Lost to tOSU in Rose Bowl - 1st in Country in 5 Year Talent - 11 Five Stars - 55 Four Stars - 17 Three Stars - 2 Two Stars (or less) - 92.89 Average Composite Score - 66 Blue Chip

Pete was attempting to punch well above his weight class in the NY6 Bowels, and unfortunately it wasn't happening. Yet the Dawgs never got boat raced.

Next season he is going to have DOUBLE the Blue Chip talent he had in those years, and now there will be Blue Chips filling the full 2 deep.

We never stood a chance against Penn State, Alabama and Ohio State. They all could have boat raced us if they hadn't let up on the throttle. And the sad thing is we could have beaten Ohio State with a better game plan. You're making Pete sound like he was a valiant warrior who gave it everything he had going down in defeat. You're being an enabler.

And you could also ask why we were saddled with Browning to begin with -- and whose fault was that? Why weren't other competent QBs recruited in that span? Again, that's on Petersen.

Look at UCLA - you can have blue chips coming out your ears. If you don't win big games with them then who cares?

This doesn't mean I think Petersen is shit, or I don't acknowledge his exciting recruiting of late. It means UW doesn't deserve to be named among the nation's elite until they actually beat somebody of note.
    At risk of going to the Gulag...

This is extremely myopic and cynical even for Hardcore Husky

• Options
    TacoSoupTacoSoup Member Posts: 148

I agree with you on multiple points:

We never stood a chance against PSU, Bama, or tOSU in regards to our offense. Our defense was on par. They did let up on the throttle, but it was also a case of the team clearly starting out uncomfortable and taking a quarter and a half before they realized they could play with these guys.

That's on Pete.

It's also on Pete that he has not won a single one of the big games in his tenure. As Race said, he punched above his weight class while at BSU, so why has he not done it at UW? Poor play calling, poor game planning, poor roster choices. Had he done his job and corrected those issues, he could have won at least one of those game. He has yet to do it, and that is a major knock on him that is becoming increasingly irritating.

My point, is that we are not UCLA or USC. We have not had blue chips coming out our ears while simultaneously losing the big games. Pete has won 10 games 3 straight seasons for the first time in UW history. He has won 2 out of 3 conference championships. And he has done all this with this piece of shit leading his offense (which as you said is Pete's own fault):

If you weren't sure, that is retarded chicken running with his head cut off. Yet Pete's consistency has led this team to 3 straight NY6 bowls despite that retard and despite having half the number of blue chips recruits on his roster that all the teams in the same stratosphere have done.

This post was a chance to highlight that UW is finally getting the same amount of talent into the 2 and 3 deeps that the rest the elite teams have. With this talent level, his consistent approach, his record of development, and hopefully some self reflection on his own short comings, I expect him to start winning these games outright.

Plus I'm a fucking doog who never misses the opportunity to shine a bright light on the program that I love and to doogitup.gif

PS. I love you and for having higher expectations and not accepting bullshit excuses.
    The majority of CP punching above his weight came with Kellen Moore, a historically great college QB. 6-0 against P5, 3-3 w/o Moore, IIRC.

To echo Dennis & others, if UW can level up at QB + continue to improvement everything else, the breakthrough will happen. (Whatever “breakthrough” means)

• Options
    vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

ENTHUSIASTICALLY.

People forget that he also tried to throw an INT to a Utah DT right before our miraculous comeback against them in 2017. He's the only guy I've ever seen throw two picks trying to throw it out of bounds.

STILL...

... and this is the kind of insight you can only get on bowdowntowashington.com the football board on HardcoreHusky...

What we've been saying the whole time is 'of course we are getting smashed by the teams with more talent'. We entered 'the ratio' (only fuckheads believe shit like this really means anything) this year.

We will be a lot more talented this year, yes. And it's the reason why @WilburHooksHands says WASHINGTON 2.0 and I agree with that. That starts this year. And if we play Skinny and he doesn't play like a retard and defenses have to defend things beyond 20 yards, that will change a lot.

But just be cause we have THE RATIO (insert eye roll) doesn't mean we are all of a sudden going to beat good teams.

That talent is going to take at least another year to filter into the main people playing.

As I've always said - if half the players on your team (EQUALLY DISTRIBUTED THROUGH ALL CLASSES DUH) are blue chips, then Brian Clay starting is (weird, but) fine. Because he beat out good players. But when you have those guys starting because Andre Baccelia is beating out Jordan Chin, well then... that's a different issue and that's why we can beat up on Oregon State and get fucking flattened by Ohio State.

We are like the tupperware in Napoleon Dynamite. If some loser in a house (WSU in this analogy) tries to rip it apart he's not going to be able to do it, but when you put it under a van (Ohio State) it's going to explode.

However, if we do what we should in the next two classes, combining those with 18 and 19 which were our first REAL classes, then we will be actually elite and start beating teams.

I don't get why people don't understand this. It's not that complicated. We have a great coach. We have a bit of a beta problem, yes, but we also have beta players.

Once we get a coach like Pete with talent like we have now at DB throughout the roster, all of a sudden, as if by magic, we will start being competitive with teams like Ohio State.

This year is kind of interesting because like 1990, we have some real talent, but it's young. However, maybe Skinny lives up to what he should be and we get a Cam Newton-esque performance out of him and he makes the difference between 10 and 14 wins like Cam and Jameis did.

Slight poont of disagreement.

If WE (Petersen) need the same amount of talent out of high school as schools like Georgia, UT, Ohio state, Penn St, LSU, FSU, Bama, Michigan, or Oklahoma to beat them, then WE are never going to beat them.

Petersen has had enough talent on his teams here to get at least one surprise, big win, upset that defined his time at the much less “talented” Boise.

The defense has regularly set the table for Pete and he still fucked it up by fielding some of the worst offenses AND special teams in the country.

The fact that he hasn’t won once against a big name team or when the pressure was on should worry people at least a little bit.

At this point Petersen could still just be the other side of the same Bellotti coin. Another 10-3 year without a meaningful win is a step back.
    THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

We are 0-4 in three ears vs that list and it hasn’t been close. We do have a knack for making the score look good in an ass kicking though. Woof

@StrongArmCobra ??
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Houhusky said:

ENTHUSIASTICALLY.

STILL...

Slight poont of disagreement.

If WE (Petersen) need the same amount of talent out of high school as schools like Georgia, UT, Ohio state, Penn St, LSU, FSU, Bama, Michigan, or Oklahoma to beat them, then WE are never going to beat them.

Petersen has had enough talent on his teams here to get at least one surprise, big win, upset that defined his time at the much less “talented” Boise.

The defense has regularly set the table for Pete and he still fucked it up by fielding some of the worst offenses AND special teams in the country.

The fact that he hasn’t won once against a big name team or when the pressure was on should worry people at least a little bit.

At this point Petersen could still just be the other side of the same Bellotti coin. Another 10-3 year without a meaningful win is a step back.
    I liken Pete to a basketball coach like Tony Bennett or Jay Wright. We exit the tournament too early and the fans are getting restless. He’ll break thru. The losses are frustrating but he’s not going to lose those games forever.
    exactly this