Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Human body ‘close to thermal limits’ due to extreme heatwaves caused by climate change,scientist say

GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/exteme-global-temperatures-heatwave-human-body-limits-a9023421.html?

Despite all the body's thermal efficiencies, these areas could soon be uninhabitable, according to Loughborough University climate scientist Dr Tom Matthews in The Conversation.

When air temperature exceeds 35C, the body relies on sweating to keep core temperatures at a safe level. However, when the “wet bulb” temperature – which reflects the ability of moisture to evaporate – reaches 35C, this system no longer works.

“The wet bulb temperature includes the cooling effect of water evaporating from the thermometer, and so is normally much lower than the normal (“dry bulb”) temperature reported in weather forecasts,” Dr Matthews wrote.

“Once this wet bulb temperature threshold is crossed, the air is so full of water vapour that sweat no longer evaporates,” he said.

This means the human body cannot cool itself enough to survive more than a few hours.

“Without the means to dissipate heat, our core temperature rises, irrespective of how much water we drink, how much shade we seek, or how much rest we take,” he explained.

Some areas – which are among the most densely populated on Earth – could pass this threshold by the end of the century, according to Dr Matthews.

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,492
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    He must not have A/C.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Phu*cking chi coms. They emit twice the CO2 than we do.
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,305
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    "Ohhh! You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! "
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It’s been a unusually cool this summer where I’ve been
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,131
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Given that temperature, climate and the body’s ability to dissipate heat explain, in part, the rise of our species, why shouldn’t these things explain our extinction?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

It’s been a unusually gay this summer where I’ve been

Fify
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HHusky said:

Given that temperature, climate and the body’s ability to dissipate heat explain, in part, the rise of our species, why shouldn’t these things explain our extinction?

All species go exstinct, eventually. If you can't handle the ups and downs of a climate changing by 1 degree C, you should probably find a creek to gurgle in.
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,305
    HHusky said:

I thought we were all supposed to be starved to death or killed by drowning here in 2019.

So far the lefts prognostications in total over the last 50 years have equaled squat. At least this latest nut job has predicted our destruction after he has taken the dirt nap. He looks like the smartest guesser yet!
    Then you have the other end of the spectrum, AOC. She will most likely be alive in 11.4 years to see the end of the earth as she has predicted.

Hands Up HH! This is simply the latest effort to control the global economy through the hands of the liberal elites.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HHusky said:

I thought we were all supposed to be starved to death or killed by drowning here in 2019.

So far the lefts prognostications in total over the last 50 years have equaled squat. At least this latest nut job has predicted our destruction after he has taken the dirt nap. He looks like the smartest guesser yet!
    Then you have the other end of the spectrum, AOC. She will most likely be alive in 11.4 years to see the end of the earth as she has predicted.

Hands Up HH! This is simply the latest effort to control the global economy through the hands of the liberal elites.
    The earth is warming. Can our species survive if that continues indefinitely? I guess you can console yourself that when won’t happen to you. It won’t happen to me either.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

The earth is warming. Can our species survive if that continues indefinitely? I guess you can console yourself that when won’t happen to you. It won’t happen to me either.
    Take this to the Virtue Signal Meme thread where this belongs.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

When Salem has nothing to contribute he contributes nothing.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HHusky said:

salemcoog said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

I’m sorry. Ok here’s the big contribution. The climate is changing. There’s a lot of unusual weather this year like every year. The places that are listed in the article have been “inhabitable” for millennia. But people still do it, somehow.

The neat new lightbulb blather withstanding, the amount the world temps are rising now and their questionable projections for the future aren’t close to extinction level. Which is the whole foolish premise of the creator of this thread.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,749
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I wish these pansy faggot global warming liars would burst into flames already!
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    It was still snowing in Arizona in early summer.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    HHusky said:

salemcoog said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Contributes Nothing Superiority Guy. It fits. Wear it.