Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Washington Huskies Fall Camp 2019 Recap Open Thread

Comments

• Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I was going to pile on in this Chico lovefest we have going on here, so I went looking for a very specific .gif to drive the point home that people forget that in UW's record-setting 2016 offensive performance, the seal was broken by a bomb to Chico. Poor linebacker had no chance 1v1 on the outside. I found the .gif:

And I found the .gif in an article that's going to save me a lot of typing in this post. The Cliff's Notes version is that a lot of what made the offense so successful in 2016 was McClatcher's versatility.

To dive deeper, everyone here loves to shit on Petersen's offensive philosophy--and the results the last couple of years suggest this is warranted--but there are two facets of the offense that I really love: Tight ends and "The Chico Position." The offense relies a lot on personnel groupings that create ambiguity and mismatches, and plays are changed at the LOS to take maximum advantage. Guys like John Ross and Myles Gaskin are a nightmare for defensive coordinators because they're so good. Something that really stood out, though, was how, in spite of having a stud like Gaskin in the backfield, defenses would shit their pants whenever Salvon Ahmed would come on the field his freshman year. He'd go in motion, and you'd see seven guys pointing at him and scrambling to figure out where to line up to stop him.

Defensive coordinators hate amazing skill players. They haaaaaaaaate Chico McClatcher. They haaaaaaaaate Hunter Bryant. They haaaaaaaaate Ahmed matched with a second running back in the huddle. These guys come on the field, and it's "Is this 12 personnel or 11? Is this 22 personnel or 12? Should I match with goal line personnel or dime?" Trying to defend players who can play two positions without giving up anything at either is a nightmare. It makes things unpredictable and helps a smart quarterback put a defense on their back heel and abuse them--particularly less talented defenses that require positional soundness. We can argue all day whether maximizing such a system overcomplicates the offense when facing talent-laden defenses, but it's a beautiful thing when the system works as designed.

Chico was missed.

Which is why it was so frustrating last year when Gaskin and Ahmed weren't on the field at the same time all that much, and Opera Singer was essentially playing Chico in motion last year.

Also why I hope Trey Lowe gets some PT this year, as well.

Between Ahmed, McGrew, Hunter, and the young WRs, I'm relatively bullish on this offense's potential. Just hope Bush makes it easier and Eason steps up.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I was going to pile on in this Chico lovefest we have going on here, so I went looking for a very specific .gif to drive the point home that people forget that in UW's record-setting 2016 offensive performance, the seal was broken by a bomb to Chico. Poor linebacker had no chance 1v1 on the outside. I found the .gif:

And I found the .gif in an article that's going to save me a lot of typing in this post. The Cliff's Notes version is that a lot of what made the offense so successful in 2016 was McClatcher's versatility.

To dive deeper, everyone here loves to shit on Petersen's offensive philosophy--and the results the last couple of years suggest this is warranted--but there are two facets of the offense that I really love: Tight ends and "The Chico Position." The offense relies a lot on personnel groupings that create ambiguity and mismatches, and plays are changed at the LOS to take maximum advantage. Guys like John Ross and Myles Gaskin are a nightmare for defensive coordinators because they're so good. Something that really stood out, though, was how, in spite of having a stud like Gaskin in the backfield, defenses would shit their pants whenever Salvon Ahmed would come on the field his freshman year. He'd go in motion, and you'd see seven guys pointing at him and scrambling to figure out where to line up to stop him.

Defensive coordinators hate amazing skill players. They haaaaaaaaate Chico McClatcher. They haaaaaaaaate Hunter Bryant. They haaaaaaaaate Ahmed matched with a second running back in the huddle. These guys come on the field, and it's "Is this 12 personnel or 11? Is this 22 personnel or 12? Should I match with goal line personnel or dime?" Trying to defend players who can play two positions without giving up anything at either is a nightmare. It makes things unpredictable and helps a smart quarterback put a defense on their back heel and abuse them--particularly less talented defenses that require positional soundness. We can argue all day whether maximizing such a system overcomplicates the offense when facing talent-laden defenses, but it's a beautiful thing when the system works as designed.

Chico was missed.

This post fucks
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Fatters dropped this Doog gem in his depth chart overview today

Inside, it's another case of Washington needing to replace veterans with talented, yet inexperienced depth. Kyler Manu has a chance to become an instant fan favorite if he can step in and provide the same kind of production Tevis Bartlett did his final year at Montlake when he moved from the outside in. He and Brandon Wellington have been working almost exclusively together at the inside ones since the beginning of spring ball. They have a ton of turns playing alongside each other, and all you can hope is that they can jointly make it work inside.

Get some safety restraints on Dennis, so he doesn't hurt himself.
    brb, tweeting quote to Dennis right now
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Meek said:

Inside, it's another case of Washington needing to replace veterans with talented, yet inexperienced depth. Kyler Manu has a chance to become an instant fan favorite if he can step in and provide the same kind of production Tevis Bartlett did his final year at Montlake when he moved from the outside in. He and Brandon Wellington have been working almost exclusively together at the inside ones since the beginning of spring ball. They have a ton of turns playing alongside each other, and all you can hope is that they can jointly make it work inside.

In his fall camp preview, Fatters said the only thing certain about the running backs this season is that Cam Davis will be redshirting. He later admitted he had never watched his tape.

Way to throw a hot take out there without any fucking preparation for your goddamn job you fat fuck.

Cam Davis is going to be a fucking stud. I think he plays this year and could be the 2nd best back by the end of the season. He could redshirt, but at least I fucking did some homework first.
    i listened to one of their recent podcasts...they ask each other who different players are, they can't come close to pronouncing the walk-ons names...as you said, do a bit of fucking preparation before you go live if you're trying to be the most trusted source of Husky football. it's painful to listen to.
    None of them can consistently pronounce Benning's last name correctly. He's been here going on five fucking years! They also knew about him as a recruit since he was in 8th grade and his older brother played here too. That's a fucking decade of being too lazy to figure it out and remember it. They're all like "Ah shucks, we're just a couple of fat white guys. We don't know how to speak Poly and we're too lazy and don't have enough respect for them as human beings to pronounce their names correctly even though it's our job to know."
    You say Potayto, I say Potahto.

Potato, potato.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Get some safety restraints on Dennis, so he doesn't hurt himself.
    You know were in good hands when that's the best thing Fetters can say about our potential starting Middle Linebacker.....
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Meek said:

In his fall camp preview, Fatters said the only thing certain about the running backs this season is that Cam Davis will be redshirting. He later admitted he had never watched his tape.

Way to throw a hot take out there without any fucking preparation for your goddamn job you fat fuck.

Cam Davis is going to be a fucking stud. I think he plays this year and could be the 2nd best back by the end of the season. He could redshirt, but at least I fucking did some homework first.
    i listened to one of their recent podcasts...they ask each other who different players are, they can't come close to pronouncing the walk-ons names...as you said, do a bit of fucking preparation before you go live if you're trying to be the most trusted source of Husky football. it's painful to listen to.
    None of them can consistently pronounce Benning's last name correctly. He's been here going on five fucking years! They also knew about him as a recruit since he was in 8th grade and his older brother played here too. That's a fucking decade of being too lazy to figure it out and remember it. They're all like "Ah shucks, we're just a couple of fat white guys. We don't know how to speak Poly and we're too lazy and don't have enough respect for them as human beings to pronounce their names correctly even though it's our job to know."
    It’s incredibly lazy when you consider the media guide spells out how to pronounce the uncommon last names.
    Not to mention they're supposed specialty is TBS and both Potoa'es were significant recruits.
  • Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

proof said:

Latu is going to be so good.

Best freshman edge rusher in the conference.
    'nuff said on that...
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Can't spell manure without Manu