Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Top Gun Maverick

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,944
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited June 2022
    Swaye said:

I can't ever hate on Tom Cruise. Top Gun and Risky Business were the two movies that I modeled my entire life on. Not kidding. Haven't seen this one yet. I think much of the magic might be gone having done it for a living. Do they blow up any towelheads? I'll go for that.

Uhh, when you were being thoroughly screened to be a moderator, you told me this show made a man out of you.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

One of my dads had a brief cameo at the end of the original, as he was working the flight deck the day they filmed the final scene. Or at least that's what he tells us, as it's just a bunch of guys in helmets rushing the planes. For this reason, and because awesome, I finally introduced my kids to Top Gun just last week. Daughter instantly got bored. Son LOVED it.

I got to thinking about it afterward, and--homoerotic volleyball (NTTAWWT) aside--it was pretty much a perfectly executed movie. There was cheese and tropes and Durka Durka Jihad galore, but the plot made sense, pacing was spot on, characters were developed, good story arc, redemption story for the main character was well executed. I really think were Plinkett to review this movie, he'd be left with nothing but poking fun at the cheesy details.

Huge omission from the movie bracket challenge. I keep repeating "good execution," but that's what this one really comes down do: It has to be one of the better executed simple popcorn movies of all tim.

completely unrelated but i often tell people i had a cameo in the 1990s classic, Dante's Peak. i tell people i was in the scene where the town is meeting in the high school gym and the volcano erupts. i also say you can see me jump up and grab the net of the basketball hoop.

almost bit me once, back in my big 4 days was at a company offsite training. as an icebreaker (fuckin corporate trainers LOVE those) we played 'two truths and a lie.' so my turn comes up and i go:

'here are my two truths and a lie; i wear a size 12 shoe, i played in the arena football league, and i was in the movie dante's peak'

we go on, people pick, laughs had, yadda yadda yadda, people are pickled on the football/dantes peak.

the plot thickens the next day....

instructor comes back and goes 'oh, i rented dante's peak on dvd last night, what scene were you in?' side note to this, speakin of plot thickens, this instructor lady, oooh doggie, she was good an thick, but thats besides the point at the moment. and i mildly panic (or it might have been hangover sweats, you really drink a lot in the big four and you really really drink a lot at those offsites) but i think fast and go 'oh, did you say you got the dvd? they actually made a few more cuts to get all the info on the dvd so they cut a bunch of that scene but you can see me on the vhs version.' 'oh, dang!'

oh dang indeed, oh dang.
    Big 4? You're young. In my big 8 days (I worked for the most prestigious). I was an extra in Hand That Rocks the Cradle. I wear an 8.5 and ran D1 track. 3 of 3 are true.

Or maybe 0 of 3.

Oh Dang is a Vietnamese guy I worked with in 1989.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,756
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,882
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm almost done with 21 straight 12-hour night shifts, so Tuesday is supposed to be the day. I've got "Top Fucking Gun" written right on the wall calendar. I wake up today to both of the ladies of the house passed out on the couches sick, COVID tests strewn across the table, thermometer, etc.

If I have to be a total looserer and go to the theater my damned self, it just might have to come to that.

Also, in reviewing this thread, RIP @Doog_de_Jour.

You live with 2 ladies? Go by yourself. Go have beverages and a steak. Consider it a blessing
    I kinda like going to the bar by myself and talking to strangers.
    Which bar? Timbers?
    Waypoint with all the Califags.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

This just confirms @Doog_de_Jour is ded.
  • Options
    Founders Club

This just confirms @Doog_de_Jour is ded.

Sad.

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,747
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2022

I'm almost done with 21 straight 12-hour night shifts, so Tuesday is supposed to be the day. I've got "Top Fucking Gun" written right on the wall calendar. I wake up today to both of the ladies of the house passed out on the couches sick, COVID tests strewn across the table, thermometer, etc.

If I have to be a total looserer and go to the theater my damned self, it just might have to come to that.

You live with 2 ladies? Go by yourself. Go have beverages and a steak. Consider it a blessing
    I kinda like going to the bar by myself and talking to strangers.
    Which bar? Timbers?
    Waypoint with all the Califags.
    Seemed I always ended up at BBC or Silver Moon. Basic & old school, but never had to wait.

The McMenamins place was good and Timbers, across town, was surprisingly good the one time I slummed it on Old 93.

Deschutes tap room was a big disappointment, considering how many great beers they brew. C'mon guys. Spend some money. It's a WAR!!

PS: But there is only one Tumalo Feed Co. Double whiskey sours and a good steak always hit the spot.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,571
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I thought the flick was awesome. Good fun. They did Val right.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I was waiting for this.

Turns out this Top Gun instructor had a hand in assisting with the script.

https://youtu.be/pn3tmr_cbSw

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

They looked at the bloat of shitty cgi comic book action movies that placate to China and knew they'd make a killing.

China has the worst taste in everything whether it's movies or sports ball (NBA).
    It's funny that he mentioned placating China, anyway, as that's exactly what TG:M was set to do. When the international trailer was released, Maverick's jacket had the Taiwanese and Japanese flags from the original movie swapped out for fictional flags in similar colors. This was when the film was being financially backed by Tencent. When they backed out over fear of the Chinese government dropping the hammer on them for promoting a pro-US-military movie at all, the movie's producers no longer had China to appease and put the original patches back on the jacket. They got to the right place in the end, but it's not like it was some kind of principled stand.

Money is money.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,115
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

haie said:

They looked at the bloat of shitty cgi comic book action movies that placate to China and knew they'd make a killing.

China has the worst taste in everything whether it's movies or sports ball (NBA).
    It's funny that he mentioned placating China, anyway, as that's exactly what TG:M was set to do. When the international trailer was released, Maverick's jacket had the Taiwanese and Japanese flags from the original movie swapped out for fictional flags in similar colors. This was when the film was being financially backed by Tencent. When they backed out over fear of the Chinese government dropping the hammer on them for promoting a pro-US-military movie at all, the movie's producers no longer had China to appease and put the original patches back on the jacket. They got to the right place in the end, but it's not like it was some kind of principled stand.

Money is money.
    China chose wisely backing off, the movie releasing in China could singlehandedly collapse the CCP

The movie is massive and unapologetic pro America advertisement.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,115
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

CCP = Fags

Crispened
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

CCP = Fags

Crispened
    Nothing’s changed with the Chinese. They’ve had an Emperor for 5000 years.

Emperors are Fags.
  • Options
    Founders Club

CCP = Fags

Crispened
    Nothing’s changed with the Chinese. They’ve had an Emperor for 5000 years.

Emperors are Fags.
    The Emperor wears no clothes.